Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 31 October 2013
The early tacks show an American production influence (e.g. Silversun Pickups of Californ.I.A. et al). Later tracks hark back at tracks on the first album. Get the impression that they want to break the USA market (no bad thing and good luck, but don't lose that UK individuality is my humble advice to them). Overall a good album with a variety of tempo. Lyrically the songs are of the type where the words are more part of the music rather than delivering something of 'meaning' and coherence. As I am a big fan of WIRE I don't see that as a problem and if done well is far better than trying to be philosophical or real, or boy band rubbish.
Good money spent and entertaining. As John Thompson said "NICE"
on 28 September 2013
I hate it!
Simple as that really. Haven't managed to listen to a whole track yet. Palace,their debut, was simply sublime,this is the worst kind of synth pop imaginable. Why the massive departure from the style of the first album I don't know. On first listen I had to check the disc was actually by Chapel Club, it is that different! I know some readers will say bands have to evolve to mature and develop their style, but this is SO different from what I loved about their debut never has the phrase "from the sublime to the ridiculous", been more apt.
There was so much more maturity on the first album. One suspects outside influence, at least I hope so!
Just so very, very, disappointed.
on 1 August 2013
This is slight change in style for Chapel Club from their debut album. But it works with a real summery feel, with some catchy hooks. An album that ought to be a must for any collection from an innovative, creative and original British Band.
on 3 June 2013
Two warning signs for this album. Firstly, this is astonishingly good music in my opinion; so don't read this or listen to Good Together if you don't like good music. Secondly, it isn't a continuation of sound: it isn't a second Palace. Not like when bands say "oh yeah, our next album is really different" and then it sounds a replica of the first LP freshly pressed of their fancy new 3D printer. Chapel Club should get one of them, and insert their creativity, love and passion for this album into it and hope it can be repeated.

A full 24 hours have passed and not one track has reached 1,000 listens yet, which is tragic - and "Just Kids" has the lowest at 400 - but this really does deserve listening to. Since their first album, they have hinted and gone in a different direction. Take the "Wintering" EP they added on to the deluxe edition of "Palace", their first LP. Soaring, high pitched vocals take the forefront, with a more soothing slow pace too. That is evident on here.

The record starts of with their mission statement: what people may call "pop songs", done good, with added emotion and meaning. "Sleep Alone" is a dancey future anthem with an insanely tight rhythm and really does show off the band. You can tell they have improved collectively, and the whole album shows this. Different band members take to the forefront, whether it be the whole band on "Good Together", the title track, or "Wordy" with it's bass driven melody. Guitar definitely is not present, or at least on the SoundCloud version of the LP, on most of the tracks. Don't shy away from that (see what I did there?). If you do, you're missing some of the best music I have heard without guitar.

My one criticism after going into their very much warning-labelled EP sample with open ears and heart, was the lyrics. I loved their first album for them: they connected in a way that was unexpected from the perhaps generic indie rock. But, the full album does not continue the trend of repetition that is seen on "Jenny Baby", perhaps the weakest of the album (if I was tied to a chainsaw and asked to pick one). "Wordy", appropriately titled, for the repetition of "wordy" throughout, but also for it's wealth of lyrics: "he sang the whole damn song, in the whole damn key". Echoes back to a conversation I had with Lewis in April. I'd like to think this was written about that very conversation, and after him already confirming way back in September last year that the album has been finished for a long time, I still would like to think that. Very much so.

"Perhaps my favourite of the album..." is the sentence I have not been looking forward to writing. I like it all; there is a lot of variety to this style of adventure. "Force you" is particularly lovely, but for completely different reasons to "Shy" or "Fruit Machine". I'd suggest you make up your own mind - unless you're a punk-enthusiast that is sitting their with a face like a deflating basketball. You should probably see a doctor about that too, although I won't force you (and again? No...?).

(Update: Scared is my favourite. Bowie-esque, and most like their old stuff. Excellent. This will probably change, I'm very indecisive.)

An odd ending to an "odd album". Lewis' words, not mine!
on 11 June 2016
Not the best...A bit self indulgent
on 20 June 2013
Bought for my son who is delighted with them. Further than that
I cannot comment as it is not my kind of music.