on 7 January 2015
This is primarily a quick review of the vinyl version. I'm always appreciative of people leaving reviews about the vinyl pressing quality and sound quality, hence my short review.

The vinyl pressing is very very quiet and even between tracks there's hardly any noise. I was concerned about ordering the vinyl as I'd never heard of Daptone records and thought they may have got the album pressed on the cheap. (I've also bought SoulTime by the same band and that pressing is great too). Another reviewer mentioned the fact that the band recorded on an 8 track and the sound lacked detail. I couldn't disagree more. The recording is very musical. It has dynamics and is not compressed at all, but it lacks any sort of harshness. This could possibly be confused with lack of detail.The treble may be a bit subdued compared to modern recordings but it sounds really nice, without any hardness or glare. The recording sounds very natural. All the detail is there but it is not in your face. You just need to sit back relax and listen. Even if you're doing something else you'll be tapping your feet.
The brass section sounds smooth, and there's not a trace of sibilance in the lead singers voice or in the backing vocals.
I'm not sure how expensive it is for a band to record using an 8 track, in comparison to recording digitally but I think other bands should look into it. What you lose in obvious detail you seem to gain in smoothness and musicality.

The songs are great but they aren't going to change the music world. They're vintage and sound familiar in some ways. Sharon Jones has got a great voice.

If you like old school soul I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this album.
6 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2016
I guess the muddy production quality is meant to sound retro, but doesn't do the performers any favours, bit like a wall of sound with a few bricks missing. It's not 1964.
One person found this helpful
on 17 March 2014
With the familiar classic sound of Soul Time still fresh in our ears, Sharon Jones' latest album Give The People What They Want is something else entirely. Taking a new direction in her fast growing oeuvre, the album demands somewhat of a mood change. Although the album still unmistakably relies on the classic soul sound, the songs remind us of the Motown sound on the one hand and the late 70's soul on the other, when the soul scene was searching for new directions. It's the combination of styles that makes this album stand out. If you like Soul Time from start to finish, Give The People What They Want is absolutely worth buying though. Songs like You'll Be Lonely and Long Time, Wrong Time are true treasures that only Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings can bring to you!
review image
on 12 July 2014
A breath of fresh air! A wonderful, soulful and energetic album. Highly recommended! Sharon Jones has a powerful and charasmatic voice that exudes confidence, personality and experience ... Yet it does not detract attention from the beautifully arranged instruments and unique composition of these tracks. My heart has been yearning for music like this for a long time - at last I have finally found fulfilment!!! 5 stars all the way*****
3 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2016
This is another joy of an album from Miss Jones and the Daps. What a voice, what a star.
on 20 April 2018
Brilliant album
on 31 December 2016
good old fashioned soul music.
on 18 February 2014
It was not as good as anticipated but I'm sure it will grow on me. I have been impressed with the Dap Kings live but I had hoped for more polished production values.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This singer and band are fantastic . a bit like going back 40 years to the days of northern soul .
on 27 October 2015
Not one their best and didn't last long on my playlist....try Shaun & Starr instead.