on 11 October 2015
Having had Suunto Advisor, x- lander and x5 I thought I'd treat myself to a GPS enabled watch Question was, Suunto or Garmin I opted for Suunto because of the price and other reviews Never had a problem with any of my Suuto watches so there you have it I use it cycling and apart from initially being a little slow to pick up GPS it's great and easy to navigate
on 10 January 2016
Love it. It is easy to use and plenty of options thanks to the collection of apps you can upload to it.
on 13 January 2016
Great item, great price - will take me a while to master all of the functions but am hoping this will get me out on the hills more often
One person found this helpful
on 2 December 2015
This watch is so much better than my old garmin, easy to use and gets connected easier to satellites, plus looks great and the battery lasts for ages!
on 13 August 2015
since the last software update the watch will not search for heart rate which was primarily the reason for its purchase
on 26 January 2015
Great product for anyone who takes running serious.
on 13 March 2014
I have tried many watches before (garmin 601, polar, etc...) but this product is clearly better. The gps are found in less than 10 secs, i no longer need to wait forever and embarrass my fellow runners. Buttons and functionalities are great. Only drwaback is the battery, which does not last very long so you always need to check the day before a run to avoid any surprises.
7 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2013
Quite simply the best HRM I have come across. Have been comparing it to my training partners Garmin and the Suunto (in my opinion) wins hands down every time.
12 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2015
Quality good but instructions on functions very poor. I have not found it intuitive to operate and wish I had purchased as more basic model.
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 June 2013
**** Update Sept 2014 ****

I've been using this and my SUUNTO Ambit2 for over a year now and Suunto have released regular firmware updates that fixed all the bugs I came across and added some useful improvements - such as 5 second interval tracking. I think also the track back feature - which is certainly on the SUUNTO Ambit2 - was added later.

Overall the SUUNTO Ambit2 and SUUNTO Ambit2 S are great watches and I'm really pleased with mine. Gets very regular use and not let me down yet.

No plans to upgrade to the SUUNTO Ambit3 - it drops ANT+ support in favour of bluetooth. But the machines at my gym use ANT+ and not bluetooth and I have a couple of ANT+ HRM straps so the Ambit3 would be a downgrade for me.

**** Update 17 June 2013 ****

I've decided to give this watch to my partner and bought a Suunto Ambit 2.

The main reason is battery life. The Ambit 2S is limited to 8 hours - which could be a little tight in some situations.

I didn't think that would be too much of an issue if I set the GPS recording to less than continuous. But the only options are either 1 second recording or 60 seconds. There's nothing in between.

1 second is more than I need for the sports I use it for. 60 seconds is a little too infrequent and also I've found subject to some minor bugs.

One bug I've found with a 60 second rate is altitude stops being correctly displayed after about 10 or 20 minutes in to an exercise. Because I hike in hills and mountains I like to know altitude and also gradient of the current hill. With the 60 second option this doesn't seem to work. You can force the GPS to get the current location/altitude but it requires pressing and holding a button for a few seconds, then scrolling to a menu, then pressing a few more buttons. I just want to be able to look at the watch without that hassle!

This means I can't use the 60 second update option so I have to use the 1 second option with 8 hour battery life and if I am going a whole day hike - maybe 10 or 12 hours - the watch will run out of juice before I finish.

It was mostly this issue that moved me to buy an Ambit 2 with its 16 hour life 1 second recording battery life.

I wish they'd had say a 15 second option for recording as to be honest 1 second is too long and creates too many points on my recorded track!

I did spot one other bug and that's in some circumstances the GPS can enter an endless loop of searching for satellites but never actually getting a lock - even in open countryside with a good view of the sky. Its only happened once in a few weeks of use and Suunto support recommended resetting the GPS via the service menu - which I'll try next time it happens.

Other than those bugs I've had no other problems.

I was thinking about buying a Garmin Fenix instead as its more hiking based but even with software updates I read a lot of bugs still exist in the watch and the last thing I need 10 miles from anywhere is to be trying to fix software bugs! I want to enjoy the outdoors not spend it troubleshooting a buggy watch!

So I stuck with Suunto. Also Suunto is very configurable and flexible. Also feels well built - and its made in Finland instead of China which makes it a rare item!

I'm less keen on MovesCount - the online software used for uploading your data and controlling your watch.

First its slow to upload - painfully slow! I uploaded data from the watch to SportsTracks - "proper" installed software on the computer and it took seconds. The same data with MovesCount took 2 minutes and there wasn't that much data.

The other issue I have with MovesCount is privacy. I'd realised that if I wanted to make full use of MovesCount, such as designing and making available apps, I'd need to set privacy to public.

And I understood public meant my "moves" i.e. my training results would be public. What I'd not realised is my GPS tracks would be public as well - enabling people to look at where I live and track what days and times of days I go out running or hiking.
Given my days often follow a pattern that was a bit too much info to be making public. But I'm over 40 and not in to Facebook and letting the whole world know when and where I am at any point during the day. With Strava they hide your exact home location and so I'm happy about sharing on the Strava website.

The biggest thing I miss about the Ambit2S vs Ambit2 is the size - even though its only 10g lighter and 1.5mm thinner - the Ambit2S feels a lot more comfortable on the wrist - in fact I hardly notice it. Whereas I do notice the Ambit2

****** Original Review ****
I use this mostly for hiking and as a heart rate monitor for the gym.

I choose this rather than the Ambit 2 because its thinner and lighter weight.

The Ambit 2 has double the battery life and includes a thermometer and barometer.

Watch thermometers I never find do much more than measure your arm temperature!

Barometer is ok and helps with altitude precision but even GPS alone seems pretty good.

Longer battery life is useful but with my small wrists weight and size were more important.

The GPS works great - very fast to pick up location and tracks well.

The watch is amazingly customisable - more data that you probably really need but its great!

And the APP function - downloading or writing your own APPs is a real bonus. I downloaded and use the incline APP to find out hill gradients and also wrote a small APP of my own.

Size wise - it is big for a watch but not too big and heavy. I've sometimes forgotten to take the watch off after exercise and not realized I wasn't wearing my normal watch.

The main downside is there is a fair bit of learning and time required to fully get used to the watch. Reading the PDF manual is compulsory if you are going to make full use of the watch.

However once set up and used to it, the watch is reasonably intuitive.

In real use the 8 hour battery life when its 1 second GPS updates - is pretty much spot on - I got 8 hours 20 minutes as a maximum while hiking.

In 60 second GPS updates you can get 15 hours. Its a pity there's no 30 second update option.

Feels well made and reasonably sturdy - and as these things go it looks nice enough - though practicality was more my priority.

Movescount - the online software from Suunto for managing your watch and uploading data works well - but its very, very slow uploading new data.

I also use software called SportTracks - it has a module you can download that lets the software read from the Ambit - and it works well. And much quicker than uploading to Movescount.
19 people found this helpful