Customer reviews

on 8 April 2013
A brilliant combination of humour, insight and honesty. I may have annoyed others in the room (my wife) with the fairly frequent fits of laughter as I've read this, but never mind. I was surprised that a book as funny as this could also handle some tricky subjects with such sensitivity.
on 2 August 2013
Paul Kerensa is a stand-up comedian and a Christian - not a narrow dogmatist or a deep theologian, but a fairly simple believer who likes to go to church and isn't particularly fussy about what kind of church it is. He travels around Britain performing in clubs on Saturday nights, and the next morning he looks for the nearest church. This book is the story of some of his Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. It is amusing (as you would expect from a comedian) but also very thoughtful. He ponders on the ethics of being a Christian comedian, and his impressions of churches ranging from Roman Catholic through Anglicans, Methodists, Pentecostals etc. to Quakers and the Salvation Army. He is bemused - and amused - by some of them, but he describes them all with a gentleness and warmth that makes us feel they are all part of his big family. Interwoven among these weekend episodes is the story of his own love affair, engagement, marriage and parenthood. I particularly loved Chapter 2, where he describes a United Reformed Church that seems weak, elderly and rather pathetic but is actually engaged in a whole range of activities that show what Christianity is really about - a very frank and at the same time heartening picture. This is so true to the United Reformed Church as I know it that I found myself weeping and laughing at the same time,
on 22 April 2013
If you ever believed that Christians have no sense of humour and are dour faced, boring automatons who like nothing better than early starts at the weekend, then have a read. Brilliantly funny and (in a way) informative. You'll enjoy if you love comedy, Jesus or, like me, both.
on 3 May 2013
I love this book. Very funny, warm, interesting and thought provoking. Buy it now, grab a cup of tea and settle down for a great read. To put it simply: do you need to buy this book? Does the Pope have an astronomer...?!
on 6 December 2013
Paul Kerensa has a unique gift. This book is funny and interesting throughout. This is a very long way away from any images of 'twee' Christian humour you may have encountered. Atheist or theist, you'll love this! If you're a Christian you're sure to find this book just a tad funnier than those outside the church, but there's very few (if any) jokes that wouldn't make sense to a non-believer.
I think the publishers could have done a better job on the front cover. It looks a little dated.
But the content is superb. It's a really easy read, you'll race through it. Yet at the same time the jokes are packed in you'll want to read carefully to pick them all up!
A very well deserved 5 stars!
on 23 April 2013
Paul is a great writer and it's no surprise that this book is a success. Very preachy about comedy, but very open about the other loves in his life, too.
on 29 May 2015
I laughed out loud in a cafe reading this! Before ordering this book (it was recommended by Amazon) I watched a few minutes on Paul on Youtube just to see if I liked his comedy. I did so I ordered the book and I couldn't put it down. As a wannabe stand up comedian this book assures me often that it's ok to bomb and as a Christian it was fascinating to visit a myriad of other churches (through Paul) and experience the oddities in churches we all accept and deny are there. I'm buying more copies for friends including my Pastor and as soon as I am able I'll be booking tickets to see Paul live. Great book, highly recommend. Ps You don't need to be a stand up or Christian to enjoy this book, it's just very funny.
on 9 January 2014
I read this book over Christmas, a chapter at a time, and found it both funny and uplifting. I am not a Christian but have a Sunday school background from many years ago, so I was interested in the little potted histories of various churches, set out in a clear and amusing way. I am also not a great fan of stand-up but that too was illuminating and funny. I think it would be great if this little book spawned a TV sitcom like 'Rev'. I recommend it for being inciteful and human, as well as having the ability to make me laugh out loud.
on 5 November 2013
A very amusing book which was also informative. It shows a life travelling around the country can lead to some funny incidents even if one does not enter a church, but Paul does. In doing so it adds a further dimension in which comedic moments happen. Paul describes a wide range of churches, all of which he can find good points as well as comedy. The positive attitude is great and leaves a nice taste in the mouth, when not laughing (the best medicine).
on 27 May 2014
I bought this book at a Christian festival over the weekend. Paul was doing a comedy show and a writing workshop, plus I was interviewing him so felt it was only right to purchase this fine book. I'm home now and should be catching up with housework, correspondence and other dull chores, but naturally have ignored them all to read the book. It's great! So funny, insightful and relevant. I am a Christian and inveterate reader, but other readers of other or no beliefs would enjoy this I'm sure. Secrets of the Kerensamobile, the horror of the same joke appearing in two sitcoms on the same night, the bounds being beaten unexpectedly - it's all very good stuff. Read it! At once! Better still, buy it first then read it. I recommend it highly