Customer reviews

on 20 December 2013
Loved these books when I first read them and also enjoyed the television series so am looking forward to reading them again on my Kindle. Great story about the fortunes of two families on opposite sides in the American Civil War. Highly recommend these books if you like adventure and romance, a great read!
on 13 March 2017
Prefer the first two books in the series but it was nice to have the loose ends tied up in the final book. Good story and strong characters set against the background of the American Civil War.
on 5 May 2017
I did read this trilogy, but after book 2 I found it rather heavy going, I may go back to it at some point, but not right now.
on 27 July 2014
A very gripping saga of two families set in the time of the US civil war. Well written and hard to put down. As an Englishman, I find it is an easy way to learn more about the history of this period in the states.
on 22 January 2016
The three books together form an excellent basis to learn about the American Civil War as they are full of factual stories and anecdotes. At the same time they are great fun to read as the reader follows the drama taking place in two families - once started I could not put the books down!
on 23 September 2013
Saw the TV series of North & South and Love & War Years ago and they were good but the books are even better. J R R Tolkien wrote the masterpiece The Lord of the Rings and as a work these books equal that, the shear detail of events, as they actually historically happened, and how they affect the Characters, (from the slaves in the South,to the Slave owners, and those from the South opposed to "(The Peculiar Institution) and of course those in the North including those with Southern sympathies is truly absorbing. The pace of the tale never stands still and as a result I am finding I simply don't want to put the book down.....Well worth the money and would advise anyone to buy the trilogy if you can afford it at the time as you will find you buy one and you simply must then buy the second. Not got to Heaven & Hell yet (the third book) but I fully expect it to prove a great ending.
on 18 August 2014
when I first started this trilogy I had no idea it would take me so long to finish it. I am glad I kept at it as I really enjoyed every minute of them.
on 8 April 2014
riveting book couldn't put it down sorry when i got to the last page as did not want it to end
on 26 January 2017
I am an advid reader and all I san say is this book was one of the best books I have ever read and there been a few
on 24 April 2014
Haven't read this on my kindle yet. Read all three books in paperback many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them.