The 1975
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 September 2013
Sorry to go against all of the positive reviews of this album, but listening to albums is subjective and I thought I'd share my thoughts on this one. I, like many others I'm sure, bought the album on the strength of the tracks the band have released so far. A good pop album is a worthy addition to any collection in my mind. The problem I have with this album is that there is too much fluff and not enough content.

The first track, "The 1975" is an intro track and doesn't really offer much, though it's surprising that the band has such a featureless title track. The album then breaks into its stride with the decent track "The City", followed by the track "M.O.N.E.Y", which never really goes anywhere. "Chocolate" and "Sex" bring about some hope that things will improve, then "Talk!" chunders along and never seems to end, despite it's brief 2:47 duration. "An Encounter" is more filler, "Heart Out" is an improvement, "Settle Down" brings back a similar riff as "Chocolate" but not quite the hook, "Robbers" lowers the tempo - an okay track but again no hooks, "Girls" is more successful and the band strike a better balance of delivering a message and the catchy hook, "12" is another filler track, "She Way Out" doesn't do much to broaden the band's repertoire but isn't a bad track, "Menswear" is mostly filler track but with some nonsensical lyrics in the middle, "Pressure" is again a floaty but very lacking track interspersed with a choral chorus section, "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You" is a sparse piano and vocal performance that I'm sure should be emotive but frankly sends me to sleep.

So not a completely bad album - there are highlights, but sadly you've heard them already. It feels like the band didn't quite have enough material to span the ambitious 50 minute duration and it would have been far preferable to have a 30 minute LP. Perhaps pigeon-holing The 1975 as a pop band is wrong of me and they wanted to deliver an album that goes deeper, but the singles they've released are undoubtedly pop, they released them first because they sound great and they should probably stick to what they're good at.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2013
This album speaks to me, as a 19 year old, somewhat strongly. Its themes of sex, relationships, the thoughts of an individual etc, are all extremely relevant to the youth of this day. A lot of it I find somewhat hard to listen to as it evokes memories and experiences of the past - in a good way, but a lot of the songs are nostalgic in this way.

The best songs on the album for me are She Way Out and Pressure, with Chocolate, The City, Girls, Settle Down, Talk! and Heart Out being other highlights. Even the shorter minute-long instrumental excerpts are relaxing and atmosphere-bursting to listen to. I'd say it stands together best as a whole album, a collective emotional experience, better than listening to individual tracks but I'm sure I'm not in the majority.

It's a great, innovative and sensual album - very strong to me. Really nicely presented too. I love the image this band have - it perfectly fits to their sound, their video for 'Girls' being completely unexpected but it's shown me a happier side to the track, which I am grateful for.

The deluxe version contains all their past EPs too, more often than not, the songs as their appear on the actual album sound different to how they originally appeared on the EPs. I'd recommend it simply as it extends the experience, with more of something that works well on the album. 'Woman' is lovely.

The Deluxe version is a lovely product - and I bet the standard CD is too. Wish I'd bought the Vinyl!
on 19 August 2014
Recorded at the Motor Museum in Liverpool, with Arctic Monkeys collaborator Mike Crossey, the album kicks off with the eponymous title track The 1975 which is a dark synth laden electronic opener with reverberated vocals pretty much like the ones on their EPs. It leads straight up to the hit single The City which has been re-recorded and given a fuller sound for the album. The City has a kind of Vampire Weekend guitar riff that makes you tap your foot to the beat and I’m pretty certain it contains a reference to Misfits (the show, not the band).

M.O.N.E.Y. is the band at their most RnB followed by Chocolate and Sex, the singles from their previous EPs. While Sex may not be their most arty or creative song, it is certainly their most memorable. It’s soaring guitars and explicit lyrics are bound to stick with anyone who ever dabbled in emo pop rock. Although my teenage years are more than a decade ago I can still relate to this song like I was still 16. Chocolate embraces a tropical electro pop sound similar to The City.

Talk! borrows from math rock with its frenetic beats while An Encounter is a solemn interlude separating the first half of the album from the second. Next up is Heart Out, a song frequently played during their shows. It’s been a favourite of mine for a while and I’m glad it finally gets a proper release. It has an infectious pumping bass line and features a saxophone that sound like from an 80s movie. Just imagine you play College’s A Real Hero at double speed. Settle Down is another frequent live song. It continues the 80s feeling but is a lot more jaunty than any of their other songs.

On to Robbers, which is equally often performed, they slow down the pace. This one is rather stripped which makes Healy’s distressed vocals stand out. He pushes his voice to the limits in either direction switching from high pitched falsetto to almost shouting. It’s not just his ever heart throb look but the anguished way in which he sings that give you the impression that he is indeed about to cry.

Girls is another funky tune that has Healy singing so fast that you can hardly make out the lyrics. 12 is another interlude before She Way Out takes the album back to to the beginning of the album with its steady percussions and tropical guitars and has already become one of my personal highlights. I can see this becoming a possible next single. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the fade out at the end, a song needs a proper ending.

Menswear is another new one that has the band experiment once more with synths and reverberated vocals. About half way through the song the drums kick in and Healy sings over sampled layers of his own voice. Certainly a highlight, this kind of creative playing around is what makes The 1975 stand out from other bands. Pressure is another 80s driven upbeat tune that rounds of the album.

The final track Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You departs from anything you’ve heard from The 1975 so far. It’s a solomn Gershwin-esque piano ballad that, according to Healy, is the most personal song on the entire album. It’s a reflection on leaving one’s parents home for good. Once again Healy’s vocal range amazes me. His vocals are so low on this one I wasn’t even sure it was him at all. And just like that, the album ends on a question mark and you just want to play it again. 16 tracks and not a single filler, the long work the album has been through has paid off.

The album is thoroughly produced. The order of the songs is a perfect fit and you wouldn’t even think about skipping any of them. When comparing the EP versions of The City, Chocolate and Sex to the album versions though everything sounds fuller and bigger. A new video for Sex released right in time for their US tour has been ill received by many old fans because it departs from the black and white DIY image the band had surrounded themselves with. It comes to mind that these changes were made to appeal to a larger, not to say the mainstream, audience. That in mind, the album leaves a bit of a bitter aftertaste for fangirls like myself.

Nonetheless, it still is a fantastic album, easily the best of the year so far. The 1975 are one of those few bands that actually contribute something new to the scene. Here’s hoping they can deal with the enormous success and continue what they are doing best.

on 12 July 2017
Product received promptly and as described.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2014
The 1975 come on like New Model Army but sound like Prefab Sprout, overlaid with Muse minus the histrionics. On paper this does not seem like a particularly edifying proposition but, confoundingly, it very much is for the simple reason that the tunes are great.

Lazy and snide comparisons with such '80s shockers as Duran, Simple Minds, Mr Mister and Cutting Crew don’t really hold up: The 1975 may be many things but AOR isn’t one of them. Equally, while generic Blue-Eyed Synth Soul is rightly deplored, there were in fact a handful of credible acts in this mode, e.g. Blue Nile, Scritti Politti and the aforementioned Prefabs. Those slightly artier leanings are, to my ears, far more discernible on this album, alongside other perfectly acceptable period influences such as Orange Juice, Talking Heads and Prince, with the latter’s groove-based method especially informing The 1975’s song writing style (you won’t find many profound chord changes on this record).

Lyrically The 1975 also set themselves slightly apart – while the indie staples of small town boredom, dissolution and yearning are all present and correct there is also a refreshing strand of young masculine gender politics, wryly conscious of the broken contract that is ‘have-it-all’ feminism. Without this final element there might be reasonable grounds for suspecting it’s all a bit too good to be true: a finely calibrated jumping-off point for the captive market of girls about to outgrow One Direction.

The 1975 is an accomplished and hugely enjoyable album containing at least six irresistibly catchy pop tunes, an eminently likeable vibe and an interesting new slant on what it means to be young and male in the second decade of the 21st century.
on 16 September 2016
I hadn't read any reviews on this one. I purchased their 2nd CD because of the reviews and was blown away by it and decided I'd give this debut a shot. So glad I did. This is one fantastic piece of work for a debut CD. Brilliant songs on this one, especially Robbers. This is a brilliant band with awesome songwriting skills and very talented musicians. I don't normally get hooked on a band at first listen, but this is the 2nd band I got hooked on at the first listen of their 2nd CD and had to purchase this one. Glad I did. This is some brilliant music and a change from the garbage that's out there today. Hopefully The 1975 will be around for a while. Awesome band and I definitely highly recommend both of their CDs. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed. I'm not. Finally, some awesome music!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 December 2013
The product description says indie-rock. Indie my ar*e. It's as indie as Susan Boyle. It's pop music, quite catchy but ultimately shallow and boring. One Direction with guitars.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2016
Bought for my daughter, I got a digital copy, and even for an old duffer like me, this is quite a good album. My daughter said it was 'well sick', which I think means she likes it.
on 19 February 2016
Fast delivery.
But the cd case is broke. I gently opened it and the hinge bit was already snapped off.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 November 2013
I'm a miserable git when it comes to music sometimes...... However....this is a refreshing piece of musical artwork with some surprising 80's undertones that remind me of Go West, Simple Minds with a twist of grunge and nostalgic 'i'm 16 again cheese'...... Not my favorite album ever but still.......some nice melodies and a handful of tunes that you 'll want to listen to again and again. Not 1975 but more 1985......!!
11 Comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse