Format: Vinyl|Change

on 12 November 2013
I'm a miserable git when it comes to music sometimes...... However....this is a refreshing piece of musical artwork with some surprising 80's undertones that remind me of Go West, Simple Minds with a twist of grunge and nostalgic 'i'm 16 again cheese'...... Not my favorite album ever but still.......some nice melodies and a handful of tunes that you 'll want to listen to again and again. Not 1975 but more 1985......!!
on 30 December 2014
I am a huge fan of The 1975. I had to purchase this on vinyl.
It is an amazing record and I listen to it daily.
The vinyl itself is a wonderful 'clear' vinyl which is amazing.
My favourite songs on this album are definitely She Way Out and Menswear. I also love how beautiful Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You is.
on 30 December 2013
Absolutely brilliant - love Chocolate which is why I bought the album. Fantastic tracks on there The City, M.O.N.E.Y., Heart Out, Settle Down - Particularly Great. Brilliant album, can't stop playing it!
on 16 September 2016
I hadn't read any reviews on this one. I purchased their 2nd CD because of the reviews and was blown away by it and decided I'd give this debut a shot. So glad I did. This is one fantastic piece of work for a debut CD. Brilliant songs on this one, especially Robbers. This is a brilliant band with awesome songwriting skills and very talented musicians. I don't normally get hooked on a band at first listen, but this is the 2nd band I got hooked on at the first listen of their 2nd CD and had to purchase this one. Glad I did. This is some brilliant music and a change from the garbage that's out there today. Hopefully The 1975 will be around for a while. Awesome band and I definitely highly recommend both of their CDs. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed. I'm not. Finally, some awesome music!
on 15 October 2013
I'm not usually a massive fan of alternative rock (dont shoot me if this isn't the correct genre) but after hearing The City, Chocolate, and Sex i gave them a more intensive listen on Youtube. After i heard Menswear half way through i decided i needed this album, i didnt even listen further at that point i just ordered it and downloaded the MP3 versions of all the songs and gave them a proper HD listen on my computer. Amazing album, the lead singer has an amazing voice.

Take the punt and get this, so many good songs which i know will slowly filter into my most played playlist, like im sure 90% of other listeners will be thinking. Some great meanings and lyrics in here too, this isn't just catchy alternative music, this is good meaningful stuff if you decide to listen with a careful ear. A nice change, get it.
on 25 July 2016
I am a relative newcomer to The 1975 having discovered them recently after seeing their live performances (on TV) from Glastonbury and T-in the Park and am now a huge fan. I have listened to this album non-stop. Favourite tracks include The City and Robbers. Good mix of some good atmospheric tracks. Have since purchased their second album and tickets to see them on tour in Newcastle in December.
on 4 January 2014
Best album Iv brought in years have not stopped listening to it, my favorite song is robbers but not a bad song on the album
on 8 September 2013
Sorry to go against all of the positive reviews of this album, but listening to albums is subjective and I thought I'd share my thoughts on this one. I, like many others I'm sure, bought the album on the strength of the tracks the band have released so far. A good pop album is a worthy addition to any collection in my mind. The problem I have with this album is that there is too much fluff and not enough content.

The first track, "The 1975" is an intro track and doesn't really offer much, though it's surprising that the band has such a featureless title track. The album then breaks into its stride with the decent track "The City", followed by the track "M.O.N.E.Y", which never really goes anywhere. "Chocolate" and "Sex" bring about some hope that things will improve, then "Talk!" chunders along and never seems to end, despite it's brief 2:47 duration. "An Encounter" is more filler, "Heart Out" is an improvement, "Settle Down" brings back a similar riff as "Chocolate" but not quite the hook, "Robbers" lowers the tempo - an okay track but again no hooks, "Girls" is more successful and the band strike a better balance of delivering a message and the catchy hook, "12" is another filler track, "She Way Out" doesn't do much to broaden the band's repertoire but isn't a bad track, "Menswear" is mostly filler track but with some nonsensical lyrics in the middle, "Pressure" is again a floaty but very lacking track interspersed with a choral chorus section, "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You" is a sparse piano and vocal performance that I'm sure should be emotive but frankly sends me to sleep.

So not a completely bad album - there are highlights, but sadly you've heard them already. It feels like the band didn't quite have enough material to span the ambitious 50 minute duration and it would have been far preferable to have a 30 minute LP. Perhaps pigeon-holing The 1975 as a pop band is wrong of me and they wanted to deliver an album that goes deeper, but the singles they've released are undoubtedly pop, they released them first because they sound great and they should probably stick to what they're good at.
on 8 January 2014
The 1975 come on like New Model Army but sound like Prefab Sprout, overlaid with Muse minus the histrionics. On paper this does not seem like a particularly edifying proposition but, confoundingly, it very much is for the simple reason that the tunes are great.

Lazy and snide comparisons with such '80s shockers as Duran, Simple Minds, Mr Mister and Cutting Crew don’t really hold up: The 1975 may be many things but AOR isn’t one of them. Equally, while generic Blue-Eyed Synth Soul is rightly deplored, there were in fact a handful of credible acts in this mode, e.g. Blue Nile, Scritti Politti and the aforementioned Prefabs. Those slightly artier leanings are, to my ears, far more discernible on this album, alongside other perfectly acceptable period influences such as Orange Juice, Talking Heads and Prince, with the latter’s groove-based method especially informing The 1975’s song writing style (you won’t find many profound chord changes on this record).

Lyrically The 1975 also set themselves slightly apart – while the indie staples of small town boredom, dissolution and yearning are all present and correct there is also a refreshing strand of young masculine gender politics, wryly conscious of the broken contract that is ‘have-it-all’ feminism. Without this final element there might be reasonable grounds for suspecting it’s all a bit too good to be true: a finely calibrated jumping-off point for the captive market of girls about to outgrow One Direction.

The 1975 is an accomplished and hugely enjoyable album containing at least six irresistibly catchy pop tunes, an eminently likeable vibe and an interesting new slant on what it means to be young and male in the second decade of the 21st century.
on 29 November 2013
I've been disappointed with this album. I bought it along with Bastille's and Foal's albums to capture a few albums of 2013 from bands with potential who write and record albums as it should be done rather than the x-factor trash that otherwise litters the chart.
So, why only 3 stars? I think the songs are fairly simple and formulaic, nothing grabs me and makes me want to hit the repeat button. They're not bad songs, but equally not in my opinion good enough to make an album go to #1.
There is an 80's vibe, some of the songs remind me of a band called Clear Static who had an album out about 8 years ago, it borrows alot from the early 80's new wave bands.
I bought the deluxe edition CD, which for a couple of pounds more gives you all the early EPs, well worth getting that ove the standard CD.
I'm not advising not to buy, have a listen to the samples and make your choice, but I prefer the other albums I bought.