on 7 December 2014
I have an 18month old, and have just bought this for a friend, as I wanted to share the joys on sleep filled nights with her. Amazing book. Through pure determination and the confidence that this book gave me, DD slept 8 hours a night at 8 weeks and 12 hours at 12 weeks. Completely breastfed. The book gives you confidence in your own mind. Helps you plan for how you want your children to act in a years time. You don't start habits that become engrained (like sleepless nights or 4am wake ups, or children who refuse to go to bed), as it helps you make sensible decisions from the beginning(because you are not completely knackered). If you read it before the baby is born all the better, as you will be reading it in the context of person with certain expectations (8hours sleep a night, decent relationship, time for friends, cooking, reading etc), and you will then expect that of your child.

I have lent the book to friend who have also had good experiences. Including a boy with silent reflux, that slept 8 hours a night at 12 weeks.

The premise is feed the baby at regular intervals (stuff her full!) during the day and she won't need to feed at night. My baby was born pretty skinny (who after a few weeks was smashing up through the weight chart), struggled with feeding for 3 months, but still managed to get it to work.

The religious background to the book is irrelevant. Where they state "make time for church attendance" insert "pub with friends" instead. It is not that controversial, especially if you have read gina ford (which can be aggressively strict), it is flexible and allows you to understand your child's behaviour, as you get to know each other very well. It is parent led, not baby led, so it is not for everybody. But it's not strict or cruel, just sensible and grown up.
on 5 January 2013
My 4 month old daughter has always slept well at night but has struggled to sleep during the day. This book was so helpful and now she has three hour-long day time naps and it has given us both a new lease on life. We are both happier and more rested during the day. I read some of the negative reviews of this book and I can't understand them. One needs to teach a baby how to sleep and this may involve leaving them to cry it out for a very short period. I have noticed that my daughter thrives on boundaries and structure and this book gives great advice on how to do that.
on 21 July 2016
That was the second book I read about sleeping. The first one did not help me as it was just too strikt. this one suited me much more. Four weeks after I bought and read the book my little one sleeps the nights thru. He is 10 weeks old.
on 6 February 2016
Read all the others baby whisperer and Gina ford.... Etc. this still is my bible. Logical and intelligent advise. My baby slept through from 7-8 weeks old. Almost five months and I refer to it often for the odd hurdle
on 14 August 2013
I was recommended this book by several different people before I even had kids. Now that I do, I can understand why! It takes a very middle of the road approach to feeding/sleeping philosophy and so far seems to be working. It's very rational and well thought out and easy to read.
on 20 September 2014
This book makes numerous false claims, uses only two pieces of research from the early 90's and goes against recommendations from the world organisation. There have been concerns of poor weight gain using the feeding schedule. New born need to be demand feed, and regardless of what the book states milk supply will be effected if this is not done. Do not buy this book.
on 23 February 2014
So everyone will try and give you advice and some people, God forbid, will recommend you follow Gina Ford (don't). The principles of this book are what everyone else has copied and made slicker but this is basically where it all started. Feed your baby when they wake up and teach them to put themselves to sleep. I genuinely think if all parents followed this they'd be OK. Our baby slept through from six weeks, and by slept through I mean 12 hours....
This book is written by doctors, who are parents,it isn't patronising and gives you the theories behind the theories. Really interesting if you want to know why things work.
on 27 June 2013
This book maps out an unresponsive approach making it sound like the most sensible thing in the world. It involves a lot of leaving your baby to cry. It isn't a middle way. I used it on recommendation from a colleague, lacking in confidence with my first child. I deeply regret doing so and wish I'd been more sensitive and responsive to my child's need to be cuddled/fed her to sleep and fed in the night. Women's bodies create sleepy hormones to compensate for the night feeds, its not easy to have an 'attached' baby but its the right thing for an infant.

This book is about control and having authority over your child, not about partnership and compassion with you child and their genuine emotional needs. Build a positive attached relationship with your child, accept that it will be tiring but rewarding and at times you'll feel desperate like all parents. Don't buy this book and load yourself with regret of not having nurtured your child enough.
on 10 May 2013
Some practical and organised information on how to help a baby sleep. Works on the principle of getting lots of food in during the day so they need less at night, and also on self settling to sleep. Not an extreme approach on either end of gentle parenting versus leaving them to cry it out. Encourages parental flexibility and parental instinct following. Has routine/rhythm recommendations. Has chapters on common medical problems.
Quite an arrogant writing style but otherwise useful practical info
on 11 September 2013
I read this book in Portuguese, which is my first language...But I do really recommend this book for all mums!
The thing about creating a routine for the baby has many benefits, for the baby and for us as parents.You need to persevere, sometimes to be sensitive...but works really well.
With my son worked really well, with two months old he was sleeping through the night and has been like this till today!
I'm really glad for this book! If you want to talk more about this book, I'll be really happy to help!

Renata Campos