on 21 October 2013
Tom I absolutely loved this book, I am planning to do my own world cycle in 2015 and this book has only increased my determination. This book captures all of the excitement, challenges, hardships and fun that a journey like this can offer. I congratulate you on completing your challenge and sharing this amazing story with us. I am sure I will refer back to it quite a lot whilst planning my own trip.
on 11 June 2013
A friend recommended I got this book and I was was not disappointed. It is an honest account of a true adventure written in a very unpretentious but compelling manner. It's a story told in his own words and gives an interesting and amusing insight into what it must be like to circumnavigate the world by bike. Now I don't know much about cycling but I know a thing or two about books and I can't recommend it enough for anybody interested in armchair adventures or those wishing to embark on a cycle tour. Well done Tom Bruce.
on 30 May 2013
This cycling travel book is a real breath of fresh air. From the moment I picked it up and started reading the introductory pages about Tom's motivation and his approach to the trip and writing about it, I was hooked. The writing is very direct and engaging, it just draws you in, so you feel you are perched on his panniers, looking at the world he travels across not just through his eyes, but almost as if you are there yourself.

It is also refreshing because it is not about someone trying to make a career for themselves by doing some spectacular stunt, there are no physiotherapists for the first 1000 miles, and there is no backup apart from his stay-at-home (more or less) parents, and his loyal girlfriend taking a few bike parts out to their infrequent meetings. Although Tom modestly says he didn't set out to break any records, I wonder how many people have cycled solo across the desert east of Aktau? It doesn't really matter, as his description of that draws you in to an amazingly powerful account of a young man testing his determination and physical endurance to the limits. Passages such as that one, the traverse of the Pamir Highway, endless encounters with extraordinary hospitality and fellow travellers, the crazy monotony of cycling half-finished Chinese motorways to escape the trucks, and the almost surreal contrast of then crossing the USA, all add up to a great travel read.

I was bereft when Tom and Harry reached the Florida coast, and it was all over. Really looking forward to Tom's next adventure.
on 13 June 2013
Fascinating read even for a non-cyclist. Tom Bruce has captured the spirit of all the places he visited and and put them on the map for everyone to enjoy. We get all the excitement without leaving the comfort of our own home. I might even take up cycling!
on 7 February 2014
I'm still reading the book about a third through it at the time of this review. What can I say? The author Tom Bruce has written a beautiful story here, it is an account of his one man, unsupported cycle trip around the world. He writes with clarity and humour. The book is packed with interesting geographical, political and cultural facts, he talks about the people he met along the way and the amazing hospitality shown by people across the world. His style of writing has taken me on his journey and his observational humour and way of thinking makes me laugh. He is a courageous young man and an excellent and informative writer.
I am planning an ongoing cycling trip, hoping to cross the same regions that Tom has taken and this book is already proving to be a great source of reference. Congratulations Tom and thanks for your contribution to a better world. Good luck with your future endeavours.
on 16 October 2013
Tom's story is one of adventure and he shares with us a journey that many of us dream of doing. He brings to life the many cultures he experienced along the way and shares insights into the highs and lows being on the road day in day out. Often funny, particularly the contributions from Tom's travelling companions, but also thought provoking, I found this an enjoyable read.

If you dream of far off lands this book is for you. It was part of the inspiration that made me start out on my own bike trip - need I say more!
on 26 October 2014
What sets this book apart from a lot of cycle travel guides is that firstly it is well written, and secondly it goes in to detail about places he visits, the history and so on. Too many of these type of books just talk about the cycling itself, which can be a bit boring rather than the people and places. An incredible journey and very good value for the money, definitely recommended. If you like this book, I would recommend No Place Like Home - Thank God by Stephen Pinkerton-Smith as well.
on 14 July 2015
When you read this it's clear that Tom is a really nice guy with a genuine passion for adventure. To be frank it sometimes reads a little bit like a back to school essay, albeit it written by a kid who has seriously lost the plot and for some reason decided to take off round the world on a bike he just pulled out the back of the shed. If you're after a story filled with warmth, wit and edge of your seat adventure this isn't it. However if you want to put off yourself or anyone else from doing anything similarly crazy then buy it immediately. It's a serious reality check for desk bound daydreamers even considering this. It's easy to romanticize going round the world on a bike but when it comes down to it most people simply couldn't come close to hacking it - especially for the most part alone. One night sleeping cold and hungry in a storm drain under a motorway several thousand miles from home and they would sling the bike on the back of the nearest passing truck and bugger off home with their tail between their legs. Full credit and 5 starts to Tom for his bravery and resilience and a decent attempt at documenting it by a guy who i'm sure by his own admission would say he's not a writer. He has given all of us who would never even set out on such a journey a glimpse of what it's like out there on your own.
on 3 September 2014
As a fan of cycling books, I was keen to read this book when I found it in the Kindle bookstore. Tom was not setting out to break a round the world record, he was doing it for the challenge. As a result, this is a very leisurely and easy to digest read. Tom mixes observations on where he is and reflects on what he's thinking in the right measure: it's extremely accessible.

It's also a very uplifting book. Despite the odd spat with some people along the way, it was heartening to read of the number of times when he (and his companion) were offered free hospitality and food. Makes you realise that being alive is a very positive experience. Do read this book. I have no hesitation in awarding it five stars.
on 2 February 2016
This book is a real page turner it really makes you want to go out and find your own adventures. It brings you close to the action and you can picture yourself riding alongside. The frustrating part of this book is the very annoying grammatical errors that are present throughout the publication, which at times make you just want to close the book and forget it. A real shame.