on 6 January 2017
This edition is a complete travesty of Grahame's original book. Once I received it, I dipped into it and asked myself what I had seen in the text and story as a child. There were bits missing and the language simply didn't resonate with me as it had as a child, or as a grown up when I read it to my children. The original text is sanitised, abridged and generally stripped of most of its wonderful character and colour. I discovered that most of the editions available on Amazon are abridged or "made more suitable for children" as one apparently is.

What a shame that we think we have to do such terrible things to what is one of the greats of English literature, to make it more accessible for the children of today. It is an insult to their intelligence. I went on-line again and found a dog-eared copy published in 1948 and look forward to receiving that in the certainty that it will be the original text.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2017
I love books. WilliamsBookseller.com, who are responsible for this edition, do not.
The book is an irregular size, the paper is not the welcoming quality of a regular publisher. But if it were only these slightly irksome things to annoy. There is worse.
The back cover blurb is illiterate and ungrammatical- and there is a *publisher's* dedication- 'vanity of vanities ...'
A picture is still a picture, despite its frame. However, to me, a book, is a full-on tactile experience. In moments when you put the volume aside, you may glance at the introductory pages, smile at the back-cover wit.
Not with this one. You'll just be reminded what a cheap-skate you are. And as Mr Kenneth Grahame's book is a wonderful work of wit and imagination that you may return to many times, you will be reminded of your parsimonious decision many times.
I do not intend to return this thing. I will take the hit and replace it with an edition from a professional publisher. I shall burn it, and therefore avoid the possibility that it may fall into the hands of an impressionable child, who may believe that all books might be as ugly as this.
I give the one star, because you have to, to post, but also I suppose, I might admit, delivery was prompt. Which bearing in mind the soulessness of this thing, does bring to mind what they said about Mussolini, and trains.
review image
on 3 November 2017
NOTE: The reviews given here seem to cover multiple DIFFERENT EDITIONS and the "Look Inside" feature is NOT showing the Inga Moore "Panorama Pops" edition. If you're looking for reviews of that edition please read on ...

When pressing my Sister for birthday present ideas she mentioned this book but said it was unavailable. I checked good old Amazon and found it easily - Many 'wonderful brother' points scored there! Took a look when it arrived and my Sister was absolutely right, the illustrations by Inga Moore combine PERFECTLY with Kenneth Grahame's wonderful text. This is a beautiful edition and very well worth buying!!

The text is a carefully abridged version of the full book, with the following tales missing:
Chapter 7 - "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
Chapter 9 - "Wayfarers All"

Additionally, the original Chapter 11 "Like Summer Tempests Came His Tears" and chapter 12 "The Return of Ulysses" have been much abridged and combined into a new chapter called "The Return of Toad" with text amended to combine the essence of the two original chapters if not their detail.

I'd have loved to see how Inga Moore would have treated "The Piper At The Gates of Dawn", and I missed the now excluded coda to the book where Toad finally realises what a braggart he is and turns over a new leaf to appear as a sensible, generous and modest host at the friends' victory party ... But there's so much else to love here that these are just regrets for lost opportunities rather than crippling faults.

The book is quite large (approx 11 1/2" tall by 8 1/2" wide , is hardback, with 180 pages in nice satin finish paper. It is very well produced with tight binding and clear sharp printing, and it is COPIOUSLY illustrated with Inga Moore's beautiful full colour drawings. There must be about 90 illustrations as (allowing for full double-page illustrations) there seems to be about 1 illustration for each page of text.

The illustrations are detailed, very nicely drawn and sympathetically coloured. The front cover image of Ratty & Mole in the rowing boat shown above IS from the Inga Moore edition and all the other illustrations in the book are the same quality and style. To repeat my warning - The "Look Inside" feature does NOT show this book and the crude illustration it shows is utterly unlike Inga Moore's lovely work.

I found the text font size in the book to be a bit larger than I would prefer, but it's certainly not a problem I can't help wondering whether the publisher had to use a slightly larger font to let them synchronise text and illustrations while giving the illustrations the sort of size they deserve??

The 'acid test' of how good this edition is ... Yes - After seeing the copy I bought for my Sister I have now ordered one for myself!!
on 28 July 2016
A British classic written in American English. I can except American spellings with American authors but I really expect better for British books. If our books can be translated into the awful American spelling, why can't we have the correct British spelling?
Woeful edition, illustrations add nothing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 March 2014
In this wonderfully nostalgic book, based on Kenneth Graham's own childhood, Mr Mole gets fed up with spring cleaning and takes a day off. He meets Mr Rat and is captivated by his lifestyle. He decides to move in with him and meets other fascinating characters - such as Mr Badger, Mr Toad and the otter, as well as the villainous weasels and stoats of the wild wood and their ruler, the Chief Weasel. There are really two books in one - the comic story of Toad and the beautiful story of Ratty and Mole's experiences on the river, the two stories converging when the creatures of the wild wood occupy Toad Hall and have to be ejected.
This is an absolutely wonderful book, beautifully written and completely absorbing. Like other great children's books, it tells the truth about the human condition better than any adult book could do. It makes you laugh and cry and also makes you think and feel in a new way. Marvellous!
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 September 2016
This book is a personal favourite of mine, and one that I never get tired of reading, and I know that I am not the only adult that has read it many times, and will continue to do so. Great for children as well this is something that you can read to them in instalments, and when they are old enough, they can then read themselves.

Published over a hundred years ago, rather like JK Rowling and her Harry Potter books this was turned down by a number of publishers, and when it was eventually published received some quite snooty reviews from critics. However despite this this was a hit with the public, and has remained so, and it is easy to see why.

This isn’t perfect by any means and reading it you do soon realise that the animal characters change size on a number of occasions, from their normal animal size, to being larger and coming into contact with humans. They even have money, after all Mr Toad can buy anything he seemingly wants and lives in a hall.

As Mole leaves his home for a look outside on a glorious spring morning so he comes into contact with Ratty, and the two are soon firm friends. With Badger, who Ratty already knows, Mole makes another new friend, and also with Toad. But with all the comedy and incident here it is Toad that captures everyone’s imagination. He is conceited and really to a certain extent obnoxious but we can’t help but root for him as he goes to prison, escapes and then finds out that Toad Hall is being squatted in by stoats and weasels.

Creating a world that has many similarities with the real one at that period, this is a tale that keeps us all enthralled as we read of the many exploits and adventures that happen here, as well as the more sedate side of life, with relaxing and taking meals with friends. Always a treat to read there is one thing here that you end up saying and can’t help yourself when you get into a car, and that is Toad’s saying of ‘Poop! Poop!’ Don’t worry it does wear off after a few days, but the next time you read the book it happens again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 November 2017
It was marvellous to be able to revisit this children’s classic which was first published at the beginning of the last century. It has lost none of its charms over the years and although anthropomorphic stories may these days be seen as old-fashioned there is no doubt that the tales of Ratty, Mr Mole, Toad and Badger remain very readable and are still highly enjoyable.

Each character has his own traits. I associated more closely with Ratty as he is comfortable staying close to home, cares about others and appears to be more mature than those around him.

The mere fact that new editions continue to be issued is a clear demonstration of the story’s continuing popularity. This particular one by Alma includes an illustration by Tor Freeman which, although not to my taste as I am a traditionalist, will be loved by younger children.

mr zorg

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of the book to review.
on 11 December 2017
I have trouble reading these days so purchased a kindle paperwhite.
But, as I have the Kindle app on my phone I decided to purchase this book with a read-along. (ready-by)
I LOVE IT.
I have trouble reading on my phone due to the glare but I listen to the phone while reading along on the kindle paperwhite.
It suits me and I recommend to anyone who has bad eyes or a headache after reading on a tablet.
(I started reading along with the Harry Potter series and have to be honest here, I much prefer the read-by chapter by chapter. It means that when I've fallen asleep at night while listening the chapter finishes after about 20ish mins and stops, instead of the whole book reading to the end and I'm left wondering where did I fall asleep!!)

So Kindle, can you look into this method please. Read-along Chapter by Chapter would be a great addition)
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 November 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This is a new version of an old classic, produced by Oxford University Press. This is, of course, a beautiful and evocative story, which has lasted so long because it has continued to be discovered, and cherished, by every new generation which reads it. The story of Mole, Ratty, Badger and Mr Toad and their adventures by the riverbank.

As the story is so well known, and loved, I will contain my review to this edition, rather than the storyline itself - which is obviously 5 stars. There are so many editions of this book available, so which should you choose? This is a rather chunky paperback version, which feels quite heavy in the hand. The paper quality feels nice, but the print is quite small. Normally, I can read books without my reading glasses, but I needed to wear them to read this. The illustrations were more contemporary for my taste, but they were in colour and did add to the story. My daughter certainly liked the pictures and she enjoyed the book.

My biggest issue with this edition is the fact that one chapter, “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn,” has been omitted from this version. It is said that this chapter ‘pauses the action,’ which I find absurd. As long as you are aware that this chapter has been removed and are fine with it, then this is a colourful and nicely produced paperback edition. Not my favourite version of the book, to be honest, and the missing chapter is – in my humble opinion - a mistake. Still, it remains a lovely story and an essential book for any child’s bookshelf.
on 19 March 2016
Look I'm very bias towards this book; but even so it's got to be the greatest novel, ever written for children. It's only rival for that tittle being 'Alice's Adventures'. I say I'm bias because I first fell in love with this story when a teacher at junior school read it to us when I was nine and ever since I have always had a copy and could not tell you how many I have now; safe to say it's a good few examples. But the story; what's it all about. that is the question. It's a silly fantastical nonsense about animals to amuse small children, it's a tale about friendship and companionship, it's an exploration of emotion and personality and how that's different from person to person, an appreciation for life and nature, treasuring relationships, exploring new horizons while still valuing ones home, fighting for what you value and giving of ones self. You can read it as a story about animals that behave like humans or as a morality parable about humans that resemble the characteristics of animals. We all know a Mole and a Toad and would cherish a stalwart friend like Badger even if he is a little grumpy and stand offish. It's a story that's more than often been copied and plagiarised but never bettered. Why this addition? There is plenty of choice when it comes to additions, some far better than others, but for me it's not a true addition unless it's got the original Ernest Shepard illustrations, for me no other illustrator has ever capture the spirt of the story like Shepard. The very first edition I bought was the Penguin paperback version of this edition and this, hard back version, has always been the go to volume. I have others, some very expensive editions on expensive paper with deluxe binding and annotation notes though out but this is the fall back feet up settle down and read copy.