on 17 July 2013
The Life of Pi was well worth the wait. I've watched it twice now, and is one of those films you will never tire of. Ang Lee has brought us many great films, but this must be one of his best works ever. It is not only visually stunning, but also will leave you wondering. Was it all an allegory?
39 people found this helpful
on 27 September 2013
The story goes: A Canadian writer (Rafe Spall) has been told that an Indian called Piscine 'Pi' Patel (adult Pi = Irrfan Khan), who lives in French Canada, has a wonderful story to tell. Piscine tells the writer how he came to have a name which has nothing to do with mathematics. He tells of his childhood in Pondicherry, India, how other children ridiculed Piscine's (age 5 Gautam Belur, age 11/12 Ayush Tandon) name, and how his father, a businessman, decided to create a zoo. However, in time the zoo can no longer be afforded and the animals are to be sold in Canada. The family and animals are travelling there on a cargo ship but it's shipwrecked when a storm brews up. The teenage Pi (Suraj Sharma) survives the disaster and is afloat in a lifeboat together with an assortment of animals including a feisty Bengal tiger called Richard Parker.

Of all the aesthetically pleasing movies I have seen Life of Pi (2012) has to be up there with the best. I watched this on a Blu-ray and from the opening moments I felt as if I were almost watching it in 3D. The colours are exquisite, the characters seem to stand out from the screen, and the attention to detail was amazing; for example, at the beginning during the opening credits, we see a monkey swinging in a tree and then a letter from one of the names onscreen drops and swings. It goes without saying that the CGIs and special effects were outstanding. Truly, although my Blu-ray collection is not yet extensive, Life of Pi makes the others seem to be far from High Definition.

I began watching Life of Pi (2012) with not the slightest idea of what the film would be about other than a youth and a tiger being adrift at sea. I have not, as yet, read the book by Yann Martel. Some reviewers have written spoilers for this movie, revealing the conclusion of the movie. No spoilers here. Watch and be surprised by adult Pi's revelations, as I was.

If you buy the Blu-ray (or DVD) be sure to watch the extras about how the movie, which took 4 years to make and cost approx. $120 million, was made. Fascinating stuff. A real tiger called King was involved in the making of this movie and the real tiger is cleverly used in the movie together with a computer generated tiger. It's not easy to tell which is which and the director, Ang Lee, was fooled when shown CGI images of the tiger before the film was finalised. In the extra footage, we see close up photographs of the face of King and the CGI (computer generated image) side by side and the latter is incredibly realistic. The CGI tiger was slightly larger and, to me, looked a bit more friendly! The extras are very informative about the making of the film, of finding the young actor, Suraj, who had never acted before. I strongly recommend watching the movie first though because once you discover how it was all made then the movie might lose some of its magic for you. This is an interesting webpage that you might find interesting about the making of the movie but, again, I wouldn't want to see it before I'd seen the movie: fxguide.com/featured/life-of-pi/

Something that very much interested me was that Ang Lee and the Life of Pi movie team utilised the knowledge and experience of Steven Callahan, who was adrift at sea on a raft for 76 days after his sloop capsized, and bore hunger and heat while being attacked by sharks and being overlooked by passing ships. Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea, available at Amazon. Another thing that caught my attention and let me know Pi had arrived in the Caribbean was the flying fish. They are the national dish of Barbados. A wonderful moment, when the fish had 'flown' by with a predator swimming behind them, was that Pi was covered in fish scales.

While the movie is rated PG, I think some of the scenes are quite harrowing and really are not suitable for children, especially younger ones.
8 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 3 March 2018
What a beautifully acted and crafted film this is. Despite seeing the trailer several times, I was never convinced this film would be my kind of thing but a friend recommended it so I gave it a try. Transfixed from beginning to end and having watched it on my own, I watched it again a few weeks later with my wife, this time in 3d and enjoyed it as much as the first time. My wife also loved it. If, like me, you are not sure, I can only say grab a copy, sit back with a nice glass of tipple and some munchies and enjoy a very clever film. If you are lucky enough to have a big screen, all the better because the colour and effects will just burst out. 10 put of 10 to all of the actors, but I must especially give mention to Irrfan Khan in his portrayal as the older Pi, just faultless.
on 16 September 2017
This is a great film with amazing effects. There is a twist at the end that to be honest probably reveals what the film was really about and I would probably have preferred not to see the ending and left it ending a few minutes earlier as the possible explanation puts a different light on the film but you could just ignore that. However a great film but probably not for young children although there is no blood so perhaps a child might not appreciate that something died but to an adult mind it is obvious what has happened, there were a few animals at the start of the journey but by half way through only the tiger and the boy are left and you can probably guess what happened to the other animals. But a very good film with amazing effects
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 July 2015
Some films are about the dialogue, the acting, the scenery etc. CGI's play an important but secondary role to the script and the quality of of the acting.

But how could anyone translate successfully the imaginative brilliance of Yann Martel's novel?

The answer? CGI's!!!
A visually stunning masterpiece has been created by Ang Lee and his special effects team. And I think this film will be as beautifully fresh and innovative in 50 years time as it has proven to be today.

Top notch acting all round from the mainly Indian cast, especially Suraj Sharma as Pi.
The documentary accompanying the film gives all the support you need to understand the making of the film---a must watch.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2016
The title of this film never seemed to get me interested enough watch it until UHD Blu-ray came along and that's another story. Picture quality is stunning and the story held me from start to finish. The scenes that stood out for me were the tea plantations, the storm at sea the flying fish and meercat island. UHD Blu-ray with HDR makes TV interesting again and the wait was worth it. Brilliant film outstanding picture quality and a great story plus end-credit music make it a great buy. In the case is 1 Ultra HD disc and 1 Blu-ray disc. Also, watch the making of the Life of Pi it's very interesting.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 March 2015
It’s hard to know what to write when there are nearly 1,000 reviews to look at? I can only say that the visuals are the best that I have ever seen at the flicks? It was even better that the main subject was that wonderfully stunning Bengal Tiger! How I was hoping he’d get a square meal, as he got thinner and thinner, – a sure sign that I was suckered right in, big time. How good were the other animal visuals, – the hyena? I’m glad that he bought it from old stripey, I never did like those nasty little gits! What about that poor zebra, and those adorable meerkats? Those scenes of the ocean in ‘storm’ were just awesome. I was so glad that I wasn’t out there on a pedalo, on my Jack Jones... and what if I’d have forgotten my arm bands as well .. Jesus! Let's not for get the flying fish, ( the tiger should have been given a large bucket), the dolphins and that stunning whale shot.
The ‘overview’ storyline wasn’t much if truth be told but hell, the fantasy was just great. I don’t want to complicate the film with conspiracy theories and intellectual opinions, as to what it all meant, some people think too much! I just enjoyed the God damn visual effects for what they were? It’s so easy to get lost in this ‘computer graphics’ world isn’t it, but we all know the truth and there's no fooling me.
Having said that, old Parker is some actor I have to say, and if he doesn’t get 'best in the zoo,' at the feline Oscars, then there’s no justice in this animal kingdom … and let’s not forget he had to lay off the Kitikat and go to the gym to lose that much weight for the second half of the film, and boy, could he swim and grip that boat? Fair play Parker!
This was a classic of its time and a great film in this modern era.
on 29 May 2015
One of the quirkiest films I've ever seen, and I like quirky films. Am I supposed to be doing a film review or a product review? Is the film the actual product?? Just a philosophical interlude...

Anyway, back to the movie. The distinction between the real tiger footage and the CGI is just too obvious for me, but leaving that aside I really enjoyed it, and the bit where the tiger fell into the sea (again) made my girlfriend cry, although I thought it was hilarious! (I felt more sorry for the crippled CGI zebra from earlier in the film). Much philosophical pondering caused by the unexpected ending (won't give that away in case you haven't seen it). The bit with millions of Meerkats was silly and unnecessary, unless I'm missing something important.

Interesting extra 'making of' documentary.

UPDATE 29 OCT 2026

I think I get the Meerkat bit now --- something to do with breaking away from the crowd, maybe... If so, then it was clumsily executed and remains my only real complaint about this movie.
on 25 August 2016
The Ultra Blue Ray transfer was excellent and did not disappoint but the film itself, whilst engaging visually was, for me anyway, just a bit tedious to hold my full attention. That is not intended as a criticism as I can well understand why many people could be totally enraptured by it. With The Ultra Blue Ray market at present still being in it's infancy it follows that fans will all have their own different expectations when rating it. For me, I was astounded by the incredible different there is between the standard Blue Ray visual quality ( which as a long term DVD enthusiast I had always believed was beyond betterment !).... wow how wrong I was !!..... this new generation of Ultra Blue Ray is simply astonishing to watch ( you really need to see it to believe it !!) with dazzling rich and sumptuous colours to supplement the sharpness and incredible detail of even background images. My own favourites at present simply based on visual (and sound) rating would be 1.KINGSMAN 2. THE REVENANT. Both of the films were certainly worth watching but again might not be to everyone's taste.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 March 2015
I am sure that it will be good when watched. It was bought for the appropriate age I thought, but have since discovered that it is a thought provoking film which would be far too young possibly for the child it was bought for. We have yet to watch it so I can't comment fully.
I wrote the previous paragraph because I hadn't yet watched the film. Now, having watched the film, my 11 year old and I + 2 others really enjoyed the film. It was beautiful pictorially and you really felt the relationship between the child and the elements develop. Maybe not the greatest film I have ever seen, but still a very good one and well worth a try. There are some especially 'difficult' scenes near the beginning of the film which might not suit a really young age, but certainly my 11 year old was well able to enjoy the film. It's always a good sign if you discuss elements after watching a film and this provoked a lot of thought and questions when it had finished.