Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2014
After the life-changing The Avengers, every nerd worth their salt has been dying to know What Thor Did Next. (A reality show HAS to be in the pipeline, right? Like a Real Housewives of Asgard thing, with wonderful asides of Loki judging everybody and... okay, getting off track here.) Iron Man 3 didn't give us any clues what our favourite burly demi-god has been up to, and here we learn why: he hasn't had time to pop by Earth just yet, as he's been busy restoring peace all over the universe. Seems a good excuse to me, mate, but I'm not sure Jane will take it so well!

Befitting director Alan Taylor's Game of Thrones heritage, this time we come to a darker, grimier Asgard. Gone is the shiny, futuristic gadgetry of Branagh's Thor; instead, everything starts falling apart around out ears five minutes in. There are tears in this film, and real losses that change characters forever. The first film was a fish-out of-water tale; Thor was an arrogant boy who needed to grow up and fall in love. Here, he's been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt: this time, he means business, and he's taking everything seriously with a much more mature head on his shoulders, and to Hemsworth's credit, he delivers this as effortlessly as he did the buffoonishness of the character in the predecessor. But it's Hiddleston who's the real treat. He has been excellent in both Thor and The Avengers, but he surpasses himself here. This film really delves into Loki's powers as the god of mischief (watch out for a particularly hilarious, blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene where he transforms into somebody familiar...) and makes a real meal out of his trickiness. And oh, what a delicious meal it is! His murky past, unclear loyalties and surprise alliances are riveting to watch. This may be Thor's movie, but Loki is arguably the breakout character. In fairness, there are no weak performances here. There's a new minor character, 'my intern's intern,' as Jane puts it, who seems a bit redundant, but even he is part of one of the film's funniest scenes, so we'll let him off.

A particularly amusing part of any Marvel movie for me is watching fellow audience members when the credits begin. The committed amongst us are easily spotted; we are the ones who don't move a muscle. While casual fans reach for their coats as soon as the first name flashes up, the rest of us hang on until the bitter end to get a glimpse of what's coming. Here, we're treated to a clip from upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy; but then, we're lucky enough to have another scene, giving us a brief glimpse of Thor again.

My grievances with this film are slight, but here they are. The first was that there seemed to be some kind of aborted subplot expanding on Thor's relationship with Sif. In interviews, I read that her role was to be greatly expanded, and there was even going to be a kind of love triangle between she, Thor and Jane, but this obviously didn't get past the cutting room floor, although hints of it remain intact in places. It's a shame, as I would have happily sat still for twenty minutes extra to get a bit more character development. The second was similar in theme; I wish that antagonist Malekith's motivations had been expanded on a little more. Marvel are usually excellent at making their villains real people with motivations, even with good intentions that became warped; but here, he's a little 2D in places, despite a marvellous effort from a barely recognisable Christopher Eccleston. Still, despite these minor annoyances, the vast majority of the film kept me utterly hooked.

Overall, Thor: The Dark World is a wonderful installment in the ongoing Marvel franchise, and certainly enough to keep me going until the release of Captain America: Winter Soldier in April! And did I mention that I really love Loki? Yes? Okay then...
77 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Another C,G,I Spectacle to behold.
With Lead cast : 'Chris Hemsworth' (Thor) 'Natalie Portman' (Jane Foster)
'Tom Hiddleston' (Loki) 'Anthony Hopkins' (Odin) and 'Christopher Eccleston'
The Cosmos is in danger as rare alignment of the planets is about to come
Ancient adversary 'Malakith' has re-emerged 'Thor' cannot combat the enemy
alone, he needs the help of his treacherous brother 'Loki' to save both 'Asgard'
and 'Planet Earth' where 'Jane Foster' lives, 'Jane' the woman 'Thor' loves.
Apparently 'Jane' possesses powers that the evil 'Malakith' will need to fulfil
his intent to destroy both worlds.
Can 'Thor's' brother 'Loki' be trusted. ?
This an Action-Packed visual and enjoyable spectacle in the 'Marvel' Super-Heroes
Great Picture and Sound Quality Throughout both watching in either 3-D or 2-D
(May have to duck a few time with the 3-D version)
Special Features include :-
* Marvel one shot - All Hail the King.
* Featurette :- A Brother's Journey - 'Thor' and 'Loki'
* Featurette :- Scoring Thor :- The Dark World with 'Bryan Tyler'
* Deleted and Extended Scenes.
* Gag Reel.
* Audio Commentary...
Plus Much More....
I'm still trying to catch up on movies I missed in the theater in 2013. One of those was Thor: The Dark World, so when I saw a friend had bought it, I snagged it right away. (Yeah, I watched it that week and returned it.)

The story picks up after TheAvengers. Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is busy fighting across all the realms to keep any dark and powerful forces at bay. As a result, he is being treated as a hero and his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) thinks that he might be ready to become king.

The one thing holding him back is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). He loved this mortal woman, much to Odin's dismay. However, she has just stumbled on an anomaly in London that could kill her. Even worse, it means the Dark Elves, a race that had supposedly been defeated a millennia ago, want her to drain this anomaly from her and use it to take over the nine realms.

I have noticed some issues with superhero movies. The first one is always an origin story, and it slows the movie down while we wait for the hero to gain their powers and come to terms with it. Then, in the sequel, they have to up the stakes by giving us two villains. I actually have to respect this movie because it doesn't try to do that. Instead, it just tells us the next chapter of the story with the next villain. Okay, so you could argue there is an army, but they act as one, therefore one villain.

This allows time for some character development, which I felt was a strong point of the film. Through the action, we got to know many of these characters better, which made us care about the outcome.

However, I must admit I was disappointed with Jane in this movie. Yes, the love interest is pretty much there just to get in trouble and provide motivation for the hero. However, I felt her character was weak and worse than normal. Definitely wish she had played a bigger role before the climax.

On the other hand, there's Tom Hiddleston's Loki. The character is so rich and troubled, you can't help but sympathize with him even though he's the villain. Yes, I do love to hate him.

The acting by everyone is wonderful no matter how big or small a part they play in the overall film. As a Chuck fan, I have to give a special shout out to Zachary Levi who took over the Fandral role since Josh Dallas was tied up with Once Upon a Time. (An interesting bit of trivia, Zachary was the first choice for the character in the first movie, but he couldn't do it because of Chuck. Full circle and all that.)

Likewise, the special effects are wonderful. While I wouldn't expect anything less from a movie of this magnitude, I wasn't disappointed.

Which brings us to my other minor complaint about the film, the climax. Yes, the final battle has to be epic, but here I felt like it was a bit too frenzied with too much going on. As a result, I also felt like it went on a tad to long. I'm being nitpicky here, I realize, but that is how I felt.

Overall, Thor: The Dark World was a fun sequel that was well worth watching, and one that extends the Marvel Universe. I'm enjoying watching this universe expand with each film.
on 14 May 2016
Chris Hemsworth returns as Thor in the second Phase 2 film and it's not bad. Thor is great as is his brother Loki still being punished for his actions during The Avengers. The effects are good and the humour really seems to work here so why only average ?
The plot of the film is pretty unremarkable. Ancient evil comes back with super weapon and good and evil must unite to stop them. Problem is the villain Dark Elves are not compelling or ever really a threat. Also there is not much in the wY of chemistry between Hemsworth and Natalie Portman. The latter doesn't really seem to want to be there. It's more distracting then off putting but worth noting.
on 7 May 2016
Boring,slow,appalling acting,even worse script. A mess of a movie! I really liked Thor but this is trash. One big overblown CGI laden movie with laughable pseudo folklore. Worst of the Marvel film yet,I'm sure they'll be more turkeys but this one poultry farm of them!!!
on 30 November 2015
The best of the series so far, get the set! Of course, take away the CGI, and there's not a lot left, even with some pretty good acting for what's basically a kid-flick, but who cares! Just sit back and pig out on all the sumptuous virtual sets and props. Stena Ferries don't go to Asgard yet, but we live in hopes.
Thor: The Dark World is the second film in Marvel's phase two series of it's cinematic universe. Carrying on from Avengers Assemble The Dark World sees Thor (Chris Hemsworth) having returned to Asgard in an attempt to bring peace to the nine realms after Loki's (Tom Hiddleston) grab for power on Midgard. During this time the realms are aligning in an incredibly rare event known as the convergence. This event brings forth Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) the leader of the last of the Dark Elves who wish to use it to remove light from all the realms.

I really liked the Dark World though it's not quite as good as the first film, it really shows how Thor has grown though, how he has matured in his duties. It doesn't have as much character development as a whole however and the leader of the Dark Elves Malekith gets very little development, he's just kind of evil because they want the universe dark. This film has a decent amount of humour and all in the right places and although it uses a lot of characters both on Asgard and on Midgard the pacing of the film is fantastic throughout and I thought the ending was especially brilliant.

The acting is great, Chris Hemsworth has really settled into the role of Thor though Tom Hiddleston as Loki simply steals every scene he is in showing his unbalanced emotional state. The guy is just brilliant. The sets and special effects are also superb and really set the scene for the actors, Asgard looks amazing at every moment and the fight scenes have really developed with Thor's move set.

The blu-ray itself has a pretty cool menu using an almost sketch art with the core colour of each character. The extras are also pretty decent. A Marvel one shot mini film linking to Iron Man 3, featurettes looking into Thor and Loki, how the music of Thor was made. Not to mention gag reels, commentaries, among other bits.

Overall this is a great film that has me excited for Thor 3 that comes with some fun little extras. I always thought Thor would be so difficult to turn into a decent believeable film yet Marvel continue to surprise me.

+ Tom Hiddleston steals every scene as Loki.
+ Great sets and special effects.
+ Has excellent humour and pacing.
+ Good extras.

- Malekith isn't developed enough as a villain.
review image
on 24 June 2016
Cracking movie. I love the super hero genre so I may be biased but this combines quality action with some well time humour!
Great with pop corn and drinks!
Thor is beginning to rival my love of Iron Man!
on 5 June 2014
The first film was good fun. This one has a very weak script, overly dramatic lighting and absurdly over the top cgi. It gets boring quickly and there's not enough in the story or the characters to hold your attention. I can see that someone who likes a lot of noise, flashy effects and God-like fighting will enjoy this but for anyone hoping for more than a poor copy of an awful video game it's a complete waste of precious time.
on 7 November 2013
When "Thor" was released a few years ago I wasn't that concerned about seeing it - as a kid Thor was never amongst my top Marvel titles. But I went to see it anyway, just really to "complete the set" of films seen.

I was massively surprised by how good Thor was - so obviously went to see The Dark World on it's UK release date.

Whilst I didn't think this sequel was as good, it's still a very fine Marvel film!

The scenes on Asgard are, at times, breathtaking - particularly when the Dark Elves begin their assault.

Yes, the first 30-45 minutes are very slow - almost boring at times - but after that the films flies from exotic location to exotic location (including London obviously!) and things really pick up towards the final battle scenes.

Jane Foster is, again,a fairly weak link - but essential to the plot.

And I was particulary happy to see Heimdell feature more prominently this time - he has an awesome scene when the Dark Elves first attack and he takes down one of their ships single handed.

All in all pretty good acting, good special effects and some heroes to cheer for and some baddies to boo - it's a Marvel film after all - it does what it says on the tin and it does it pretty well. Whilst maybe not one of the best it still more than deserves it's place in the Marvel blu-ray collection...which is exactly where it will be heading when it's released!
'nuff said.