on 28 March 2016
Excellent satnav with great ability to sort out reroutes caused by traffic problems. This is done quickly because traffic info is updated very quickly via the inbuilt sim card. I once ignored its advice as the suggested route was much longer but this was because my chosen route had several motorways and roads closed. Journey eventually took 7 hours as opposed to the suggested route time of 4 hours. I now tend to do what it suggests. My only slight criticism would be the time it takes to download updates, which are downloaded to a computer first and then loaded to the sat nav. Expect full maps to take over an hour. The lifetime free maps are wonderful as my last one was replaced because the cost of map updates were a large proportion of the cost of this one.
on 30 December 2015
I bought The GO 6000 mainly because of the life time map updates, and because my 710 has not worked properly since I put in a larger SD card as the old card had been filled with updates "memory full" (no extras added by my self, voices etc) how ever I plugged in the 6000 but nothing works until you down load TomToms My Drive, Ok My drive loaded up, plug 6000 back in, On screen message, your device needs an update, well lets get on with this then, click ok, new on screen message, Your £200 brand new never been used before device as insufficient memory for the downloads, WHAT!!!!!!!!! you must be joking!! Now I've been at this for well over an hour because apart from a few pictures no instructions!. so how do you deal with a brand new £200 never been used before device that as insufficient memory for the downloads? you clearly have to delete something but what ? well your guess is as good as mine because at this point it went back in the box until after xmas when hopefully I'll have more time to fathom all this out,
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2015
What a great piece of kit. i got it because i got fed up of jams and there are loads of roadworks and very busy rods around me the Go gets me to work and home and to field visits via the best route for me on time every time i wished i had had one of these years ago - well done \tomTom
on 12 January 2014
I bought this to replace my older GO720(T) as I was fed up with paying for map upgrades each year. But I find the software on the 720 easier to use and the display easier on the eye. You cannot download your POI's i.e. National Trust properties etc. Although TomTom say they are working on it!!! Not able to change the map colours or the vehicle symbols. When you have entered a destination and then want to add a 'via' but you can only add a 'stop' and there's no easy way to enter one of your 'favourites' as a stop.
I hope TomTom can sort these issues out.
on 25 November 2015
I first bought a Garmin Satnav with digital traffic, but was not satisfied with the mapping of my area, so returned it and bought this TomTom. What a difference! The car lead is a normal thickness and, as it uses FM for traffic, there is no needs for a further aerial in the car. I can use it indoors to plot routes taking traffic into account. The local map is accurate and I can see the current time as well as the projected arrival time. I have set it to alternate between time and distance to my destination, which I find helpful. Traffic data is clearly shown, too. I find the instructions easy to follow, too. I am very pleased with this purchase.
on 18 April 2014
Bought this when my previous well-used TomTom started to show it's age and became tempramental!
PROS - would recommend it highly -TomTom GO 6000 is excellent - especially at the price I had it from Amazon (£238)
-Gets you from A to B without any problems.
-Easy to use, and intuitive - touchscreen very responsive
-voice clear and easy to understand
-display clear and easy to understand
-Live traffic included - so no problem with data charges and having to use with smartphone
-Lifetime maps included - annual save for me!
CONS - not many - more slight niggles/'would be nices' really! -
-It does take a long time to download via computer initially, but as long as you have something else to do, you can leave it to carry on by itself for a couple of hours ;).
-It is much bigger than my previous TomTom, and as I am short, using it with Dashboard cushion in my VW Polo, it does take quite a lot of room, and I am tending to look around it a bit - with hindsight, maybe the 5000 would have been better size for me and my small car.
- would be nice if they had CD holder or vent mount for this model

All in all - would definitely recommend it and have given it five stars :)
on 14 August 2015
Many of the other reviewers are right: this is much less user-friendly than earlier TomToms. We had an old TomTom One that we recently replaced. This new one is badly-designed, with far more screen touches necessary even for the most simple commands. The search functions are poor. Many features have been lost. It's as if it's been designed by a teenager using 1980s technology rather than by someone with a sense of how the best electronic devices can work these days. A shift backwards. The bigger screen is good but I'm still contemplating reverting to our old unit.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2014
Bought this to replace my stolen 820.
I have had this for just over a week now and am quite dissapointed with it. It is very unreliable. It regularly loses it's voice and goes silent. The Live Traffic cuts out alot, which it did on the 820, but refuses to reconnect once lost- a restart seems to fix it. More worryingly it threw a complete wobbly at the weekend and the instruction given as the next thing to do were one instruction out, i.e. it gave me the instruction for the previous junction- the map was correct, but the visual instruction was wrong-bizarre.
On the plus side the maps are clear and the sat nav is easy to use. Lack of custon POIs is a problem as the online search is next to useless and the inbuilt POIs are hopeless-doesnt seem to know National Trust Properties, Imperial War Museum at Duxford- some major places.
Clearly not a finished product. I'll probably stick with it as Tom Tom seem to get there in the end, but for £250 it's not really on.
on 14 May 2014
After a month the support for it stopped to work and I cannot charge it in the car. It is worse than Garmin in finding the exact route and the destination.
on 16 August 2015
Seems really good, people comment and complain a lot about the new layout, but tomtom have made it more like google maps on a smartphone. You can look round the map, pinch to zoom and touch and hold to see a little info box open. It's all very easy and intuitive to use, but just a bit different to use than the old ones, it's no bad thing. People often don't like change do they.
Someone mentioned that you can't put in co-ordinates, well on my Go 5000 you certainly can. It is accessed on the search page, a little icon next to the search box.