on 20 June 2013
NOS4R2 = Nosferatu. Geddit? Well, that pun is almost certainly the cleverest thing about this unholy mess of a novel written by Joe Hillstrom King (the 41-year-old second child of Stephen King).

For a start, there aren't even any vampires - certainly not in the sense that most people would understand. Stretching a point, the main villain could be thought of as some kind of `psychic' vampire. The title is ten times better than the story and should have been kept back until Hill had come up with a much better plot.

It's far too long- at nearly 700 pages. It could easily have been cut down to half that without losing anything important. Indeed, it might have been a much better book. Hill repeats stuff endlessly. If we're told once that one of the characters is as big as a "bear" we're told ten times. Yeah, the guy's morbidly obese but also kinda "cuddly" - we get it, ok?

I've been reading horror novels for more than 30 years. I understand all the "rules" of horror/supernatural literature. With NOS4R2 Hill doesn't just ignore the rules, he gives the impression that he watched a few movie adaptations of his father's books on DVD back in the day and came to the conclusion he could write a novel. It's as though he thought he'd throw a "scary man" and a "badass but resourceful chick" into a blender and press the switch. This formless mess is the result.

The plot revolves around a villain, Charles Manx, who is seemingly able to live for 140 years or more by `feeding' off the psychic energy of children. Once they're drained of this energy they live in Christmasland which is an "inscape" - a place basically dreamed up by Manx. The protagonist is tattooed, alcoholic, mentally ill, biker chick Vic McQueen, whose life we follow from (roughly) age 12 to her early 30s (present day). She shares Manx's ability to `think' things into existence as she can cause a covered bridge to appear out of thin air, allowing her to travel to anywhere she wants to go - usually with the aim of `finding' something. She escapes from Manx in the early part of the novel and then spends the second half of the novel tracking down Manx after he abducts her 12-year-old son.

Hill doesn't even bother trying to explain any of this beyond some vague notions about the blurred lines between imagination and reality. Despite the fact that Christmasland is, in essence, a figment of Manx's imagination, it can, it seems be blown up with industrial explosives. O.... K....

I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them, and might be persuaded to ignore the frankly silly plot if the horror was sufficiently horrible or if the characters were sufficiently engaging. Oops.

There was nothing frightening, unsettling or disturbing. There were a few passages which had the potential to induce slight disquiet but these were mentioned only in passing, as though they were pointers for future script-writers and directors rather than anything worth expanding for the reader. When we finally get to Christmasland, Hill seems to have lost interest. He completely drops the ball. What happened to the dramatic (and massively foreshadowed) showdown between Manx and McQueen? A disheartening damp squib, sadly.

My main grumble, though, was the wholly unlikeable main character of Vic McQueen. Stephen King at least makes you care about the characters. Arguably, King spends too much time filling out subsidiary characters but that's his skill and that's what makes his books enjoyable (for me, at least). Hill has 700 pages to develop the character of Vic McQueen and he still can't make you give a fig. The rest of the characters are cartoon-like and, for such a long book, criminally under-developed.

In his acknowledgements at the end of the book Hill mentions several editors and proof-readers. This book is such a mess that I dread to think what it was like in draft form.

Other readers have reviewed this novel in positive, glowing terms. This is "top notch horror". The premise "radiates malevolence". It "offers a horrifying glimpse at pure evil". If this is the best the horror genre has to offer in 2013 then the genre is in a very poor state indeed. Sigh.

If you like `horror' then my advice would be to give this a mess and instead read Justin Cronin's `The Passage' and `The Twelve' (or wait until next year for the third book in the trilogy).

44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
If you enjoy completely surreal, off the wall, contemporary horror then NOS4R2 should keep you hooked. The plot opens up into a nightmare landscape where nothing is as it seems. A land where a little girl slips through real time on her Raleigh bicycle and a demon dressed in human skin cruises around in a classic Rolls-Royce. Along the way you'll visit Christmasland, where children are taken after they've been 'rescued', and be introduced to other sinister 'inscapes' including a cemetery, library, Sleigh House and a derelict, bat infested bridge.

The criminally insane, deluded, dead and inexplicable haunt the pages alongside the children living in Christmasland and they're really not 'nice' kids. Joe Hill has created a great lead character in 'The Brat'. Absolutely loved the complexity of her nature as she grows from little girl on a Raleigh cycle into a strong woman with her path drawing ever closer to the shadow of that diabolical Rolls-Royce.

Running centrally to all the madness is an excellently worked vampire theme. If you look at the title of the novel 'NOS4R2' you'll perhaps be able to work out the name of one of our most classical and disturbing vampires (if you can't, don't worry, it quickly becomes obvious). NOS4R2 has featured in many a novel and movie and was always the boogeyman who scared me the most. I'm not going any deeper because I want you to read the book and discover him for yourself. However; watch out for the 'Gas Mask Man' with his gingerbread smoke....you never know where he's hiding and waiting.

Joe Hill has taken classical/contemporary horror and mixed it with themes of adventure and mystery. He's created something bizarre, darkly comical and surreal. Fascinating to sit back and experience this wacky, wonderful, complicated novel open up. You're spun from one chapter to the next without knowing how you got there and there's usually something nasty waiting for you just out of sight. Be prepared for some of the hard hitting themes to reach out and batter you. This is a dark fairytale and certainly not for those of a more 'sensitive' disposition.

I only have one word of caution. NOS4R2 is a 'horror story' relying on psychological tension, eerie landscapes, demonic characters and the totally insane to give you a chill, make you feel uncomfortable, without any obvious shock factor. That's the point. If you're expecting a traditional slasher/shocker you'll possibly be disappointed. Plenty of gore, murder and violence that's often gratuitous but; this is a novel much more concerned with the slow unfolding of a story than one created just to make you jump out of your seat.

I enjoyed 'Horns', not so much 'Heart Shaped Box', but with NOS4R2 Joe Hill has shown real talent. I read the first quarter in one sitting. Didn't even look at the clock. Addictive.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2018
A darkly disturbing thrill ride of a book! I was expecting it to spook me out a little more than it did, but it was super enjoyable even still.

I’ve never read a Joe Hill book before this one, but now I know I want to read more of his work. I don’t think there’s any denying that his writing style really sucks you into the story and he’s a genius as describing things. How can one man come up with so many different Christmas similes? I also loved how this book was set up, where sometimes the end of sentence in a paragraph wouldn’t end because the title of the next paragraph completed the sentence. I thought this was a really unique aspect of the novel, as well as several illustrations dotted throughout.

One thing I really loved about this novel was the characters. I’ve seen some less that glowing reviews whinging about Vic, and while I can understand some people’s frustration at how frustrating she was, I think the whole point of her character to be frustrating. I personally found her troubled but sweet. Lou was equally sweet, a nice human being through-and-through, but at the end of the day, I don’t think he brought an awful lot to the story.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, of course, was Charlie Manx. What a genuinely terrifying character. I’ve read through several books with horrifying characters (Annie Wilkes springs to mind immediately) and Charlie Manx is definitely up there with the worst of them. What made him so chilling, for me, was how I imagined his voice. Every sentence of his speech was lifted at the end by an exclamation mark! He was always so cheery! Always so sinister! And then, of course, we have Bing Partridge who may just be the most repulsive character I’ve ever read about.

I loved the story of this novel, but I’m not going to explain what happened because this novel needs to be experienced, not told, in order to reach its full potential. My only issue was I though maybe 700 pages was a bit long. Chapter after chapter was a new dip and dive in this roller-coaster of a story, but sometimes it just felt like stalling time.

Another thing that disappointed me about this book, and this is what brought it down to 4 stars, is that I was expecting this to be scarier than it turned out to be. Don’t get me wrong, it’s seriously sinister and has some really creepy moments, but I wanted to get to “I can’t sleep” scared. Though saying that, when I was driving home in the dark one day, an old classic black British car (we have a lot of old car conventions around where I live) pulled up behind me and followed me nearly all the way home and I did get the heebie-geebies (don’t worry, I didn’t break the speed limit though).

Overall, this novel is well worth the read if you’re into dark, sinister novels filled with the really weird and the really wonderful. I’m so happy I’ve finally read this novel and have been opened up to the world of Joe Hill’s writing. I will definitely be reading more of his stuff.
on 17 December 2017
If you’re looking for a festive book to read this season, look no further than NOS-4R2 by Joe Hill – because horror does Christmas too!

“What would you do for a lifetime pass to a place where every morning is Christmas morning?”

Every kid wants to go to Christmasland, and Charles Manx can take them there – the only downside, if you can call it that, is that once you’re there, you can never leave, and it’s Christmas every day. No one has ever escaped Manx, no on except Vic McQueen – now Vic is all grown up, with a child of her own, and Manx is ready to take him to Christmasland….

That’s all you’re getting of the plot, because you really do need to read this book for yourself, no explanation can replace the events that you will read about and the inscapes you will discover. Hill writes in such a riveting way, the supernatural elements are fantastic, and the horror elements are creepy as hell! Speaking of creepy as hell, wait till you meet Charles Manx! Hill also has this great retro vibe to his writing, and you feel cool just reading one of his books, like yeah, I read Joe Hill, and now I totally understand the fanbase he has.

While Manx and his sidekick, Bing, are the definition of horrid, Vic and her son’s father, Lou, are the definition of awesome. Regardless of which characters you like and dislike in this one, each has been well developed and are memorable for their own reasons.

As a regular reader of crime fiction, we don’t get many illustrations in books and that’s something I wish we’d see more of [but I guess no one wants the visual image of countless murders] but in NOS-4R2 the illustrations were brilliant, and used to really enhance the reading experience. The artwork is by Gabriel Rodriguez and I feel it’s only right, he gets acknowledged when you talk about this book because they really do help this novel come alive.

Another reason I love this novel is the way it transitions between chapters; for some chapters the last word of the last sentence of that chapter is the title of the next chapter. For example, the chapter will end “….thudded back down in” and when you turn the page the next chapter is titled “Haverhille, Massachusetts.” And let me tell you, this is the first time I [can remember] ever coming across this and it took me ages to figure it out! Mainly because I didn’t turn the page, I was wondering if I had a faulty edition, but when I figured it out, I loved it. It really helps to express all that this novel is and when you read it, you’ll totally understand why this was so clever.

Sometimes, when you read a book in excess of 600 words, you’re ready for it to end and feel that sense of achievement that you have finished a big book, but with NOS-4R2, I was genuinely sad when it finished, that the adventure was over. And what an adventure it was, filled with evil Christmas cheer! I really can find no fault with this book and I highly, highly recommend you journey to Christmasland and read NOS-4R2!
on 26 April 2015
I had never heard of Joe Hill and was intrigued when I discovered his illustrious parentage, I have been a huge fan of Stephen King for more years than I care to mention! So, having read a number of 'rave' reviews I took the plunge...

Mr Hill can certainly write, and he does... on and on and on! This was a much, much longer book than it needed to be. MUCH longer. The book starts with an interesting premise that is never properly explored (in my opinion) nor developed into a coherent story; it feels as if the whole thing was written over a very long period so that the initial idea and writing (Vic as a child) bears no relation to the later story (Vic as an adult). Plus there are some tantalising ideas thrown in along the way that are ignored in favour of writing what reads as a major action movie screenplay!

One of Mr Hill's father's great talents is the ability to put you into believable situations with people whose motivations and thoughts you can understand and recognise. This doesn't happen in NOS4R2 at all. I found none of the characters compelling, least of all the ersatz heroine. There is a brief flicker of hope well into the book where the possibility of exploring the reality of mental illness in the context of unlikely, fantastical reality is touched upon but it is passed over in favour of more blockbuster-film-style action. The injuries this woman sustains but keeps on fighting though make her sound more like a Terminator!

And it all takes so many, many words. Don't get me wrong, I love words, I love to read. What I love most is reading words that not only tell a story that immerses me but does it with elegance and, for want of a better word, poetry. I started to wonder whether Mr Hill was being paid by the word...

This isn't a bad book: it's well-written, the story has a beginning, middle and an end and I did finish it (although it would have to be truly dire for me to leave part way though - like anything by Stephanie Meyer). A really good book leaves me feeling bereft when I finish it: I've shared someone else's head/life for a short period and it all just stops, never to be shared again. NOS4R2 certainly isn't a good book but I really think there are a couple of good stories within it that could make great books.

To sum up: okay read; wouldn't recommend to anyone; probably won't read anything else by this author.
on 22 February 2015
'NOS4R2' is the story of Charles Talent Manx the third and his 1938 black Rolls-Royce with the licence plate 'NOS4R2' which spells out 'Nosferatu' (Charles's own little joke). Charles is The Wraith and a serial killer, he takes children to Christmasland, his inscape where every day is Christmas and children lose themselves and never come back.

Charles Manx must find an accomplice to assist him in kidnapping children from their 'monsters' of parents and there must be ten children taken a year. Bing Partridge is recruited after he replies to a job advertisement for a job in Christmasland. Bing is 42 years old and a murderer of his own parents and believes everything that Charles tells him. Charles offers Bing the chance to go to Christmasland, only special adults are chosen, they must prove their love and devotion of children, their protection and service to Christmasland, Bing is desperate to prove himself.

As Charles & Bing commit their crimes they never expect to be hindered or caught but then Charles meets Victoria 'Vic' McQueen, who has her own inscape and is the first person to escape from Charles which begins a chain of events for both of them.

I enjoyed 'NOS4R2' from beginning to end, what a fantastic read! I loved the story, Christmasland is terrifying, the idea of it gets under your skin as more is revealed about Charles Manx and the moon that hangs over Christmasland is one of many scary moments that you read in the story.

All of the characters are well written, you see Vic growing up, as she discovers her inscape, the shorter way bridge, a bridge she was forbidden to go near because it was unsafe. Vic discovers her inscape whilst riding across the bridge and thinking about her mother's lost bracelet, Vic finds herself in the place where the bracelet was lost, as time goes on, Vic uses her power more but she suffers for it.

I liked Vic because she is flawed and never denies that she is, her first experience of Charles Manx leaves it mark, it was sad to read about her addiction and experiences, finding herself living with the disbelief of others and then making herself believe that nothing happened to her which left Vic isolated, she wants to do the right thing, especially for her son, Wayne. I also liked Lou, Wayne's father, devoted to him and Vic. I liked that he was a nerd and proud of it, he strives to be better for Wayne and Vic, wants to do something heroic when he just does not realise that he is heroic to Wayne and Vic, he saves them both in so many ways.

Charles Manx is a memorable character, horrible and cruel but does not see himself that way, a charming psychopath who thinks he is saving children.

'NOS4R2' is a dark book with characters who are memorable, there is so much feeling in this book, you go through a range of emotions, you care what happens to Vic, Lou and Wayne.

Joe Hill is definitely a great author.

A memorable story.
on 3 October 2014
The growing trend in horror fiction these days seem to be the evolution of “The Big Bad.” Authors try to outdo each other with over-constructed monsters, demons and sundry psychopaths in a bid to grab the attention of readers nowadays left yawning at the mere mention of anything as trivial as a mere vampire or werewolf. Horror readers have become a bit like gamers, desensitized to fear and violence, no longer looking over their shoulders on dark streets and sleeping quite well with the lights off, thank you very much. It’s getting harder and harder to scare us, even harder to keep us interested.
Joe Hill aims to change that with NOS4R2, a nostalgic hat-tip to 80’s horror novels (many by his father Stephen King) which attempts to reboot a genre already awash with overused tropes and clichés.
The story focuses on Victoria McQueen, a teenager who discovers a strange portal while cycling through an old bridge, which brings her face-to-face with the aforementioned big bad, Charlie Manx a vampiric child-killer with a supernaturally-charged Rolls-Royce Wraith. Surviving the initial encounter and eventually marrying her rescuer, Vic struggles to cope with the experience as she grows into adulthood, but has to face her fears when she learns that Manx still lives, despite being declared dead in prison.
The initial chapters deal well with Vic’s character development, flawed as she is by the time Manx reappears we’re well invested in herself and her family, enough to be genuinely disturbed by his imminent return. Aided by his human “employee” and fellow psychopath Bing Partridge, Manx aims to recreate and return to his hellish lair, Christmasland. Vic is a tough character, but the type of Ripley-esque female protagonist that is becoming all too familiar in recent literature, Lauren Beukes’ The Shining Girls and Hugh Howey’s Wool being prime examples of where this has been done brilliantly. Hill delivers the goods with Vic however, her courage being fuelled by her hatred of Manx and the need to protect her family rather than any real sense of heroism.
Manx himself is quite the piece of work. Part Joker, part Pennywise, part Keith Richards, with essence of demented Willy Wonka, a grimly cheerful ghoul who inflicts his horror with fiendish glee. It’s this levity that often makes him so terrifying as he smiles and quips his way through one horrifying act after another, and despite the introduction of his disturbing backstory he is ultimately irredeemable.
There are times when you would be forgiven for thinking you are reading a Stephen King novel, especially if you’ve read the majority of his work. The style is very similar, albeit with a younger, slightly edgier tone. I read Dr. Sleep previously to this and found parts of it to be very similar structurally (there’s even a mention of that book’s Big Bad, the Third Knot.) Bing Partridge is very similar to The Stand’s Trashcan Man, The Wraith could easily be a reincarnation of Christine. It’s obvious that NOS4R2 is an homage to his father’s work and there’s nothing wrong with that. His work deserves it and there’s no-one more suitable to do so than Joe Hill.
NOS4R2 is hugely entertaining, often disturbing but thankfully never gratuitous in its execution. Manx and Partridge’s unspeakable acts are largely left to the imagination and while parts may leave you with a feeling of deja vu it deserves to stand on its own as a strong addition to what is fast becoming a tired and diluted genre.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I have heard good things about this book ever since it came out, and after being fortunate enough to read an ARC of the graphic novel ‘The Wraith’ (which comes out in August) which is a standalone story and tells you so much more about Charlie Manx, his car, and Christmasland I knew it was high time that I read this.

Written by Joseph King under the name Joe Hill to try and stop people comparing his book to his father’s works this is a very good read, and he definitely gives his dad a run for his money. This story takes place over a few years as we see Victoria, also known as just the Brat or Vic grow up. When she is bought a bike in her youth she finds that she can travel through her imagination and use it to find things, but as she grows up she stops doing this. After she manages to get the evil Charlie Manx locked up she has definitely taken an evil soul out of circulation. But when Manx apparently dies and his body disappears it looks like the old reprobate could be back in business.

Years have passed and Vic has a son of her own, and Manx is out looking for revenge. He has his car back, his 1938 Rolls Royce Wraith and a serial killer accomplice and now he wants Vic dead, and her son for himself. Manx takes children off to his own world, called Christmasland, where they will stay young and never die for all eternity, but is such a world as pleasant as it really sounds? Vic and Manx can both create Inscapes where they can travel through the normal world quickly by the use of their imaginations, but such powers don’t come cheaply, and they are not the only ones.

Has Manx met his nemesis in Vic? You will have to read this novel to find out. This is well written and hard to put down, taking you on a mesmerising trip where the real world and worlds of imagination clash. One thing is for sure, Charlie Manx may be one old evil so and so, but you won’t forget him in a hurry, or his car. As you read this book you will also realise why his car has the vanity plate NOS4R2. I should point out that if you see this novel with the title NOS4A2, it is the same story but the American’s pronunciation of the A is different thus meaning that we have a slightly different title for it to make sense to us.
on 22 February 2015
I don't know if writing talent is genetic or not, but the quality of "Even" by Andrew Grant, the brother of Lee Child, suggests it could be. Further evidence can be found within the pages of "NOS4R2", whose author, Joe Hill, goes by the full name of Joseph Hillstrom King and is the son of authors Tabitha and Stephen King. He certainly seems to look a lot like his father, from the pictures I've seen and having been fortunate enough to meet him, so it will be interesting to see if he writes like his father as well.

Vic McQueen has a talent for finding things. Her little Raleigh bicycle can take her over a seemingly demolished bridge near her home and takes her to places where lost items have come out. Over the years, she has built up stories in her head as to how she found these items, but as she gets older, she becomes more and more unable to find herself. One day, she takes her bridge to a place where she finds Charles Talent Manx III, a man who has a similar talent, but uses it to take children out of the world, rather than bringing lost things back into it.

Vic is responsible for the arrest and imprisonment of Manx and, having built up a cover story for herself about those events, she gets on with a semblance of life. But she is haunted by mysterious telephone calls seemingly from the children Manx has abducted and taken to the special place he calls Christmasland. Even after Manx is dead, he continues to haunt Vic McQueen and one day he comes for his revenge and abducts Vic's son. Vic needs to find a way to get back across her bridge, somewhere she's not been for many years, and rescue her son.

"NOS4R2" is a genuinely creepy story. Whilst Manx never directly abuses the children he ''rescues'', the sense of wrong-doing that he imparts is palpable. When we get to see what he does do to the children, it's so disturbing to both the character and the reader that it somehow seems worse than the abuses perpetrated on the children by someone like the title character of Joyce Carol Oates' "Daddy Love". Manx is a manipulator rather than an abuser and the way Joe Hill draws him makes that feel even worse than some other options, especially as he holds his belief that he's actually doing good by these children and remains unrepentant throughout.

Vic McQueen is another wonderfully drawn character, as the damaged heroine. She falls apart twice, as a child crumbling under the power of the Shorter Way and again as an adult, haunted by Manx and his children. Her awareness that she has treated people badly contrasts brilliantly with Manx's lack of repentance and the strength she finds when the lives of people she genuinely cares about are at stake is powerfully moving.

Hill is a superb writer, whether it's genetic or not. There are aspects of his father's writing you can see here, in that he takes a long time to build his characters and makes you genuinely care for the people involved in the story. Vic McQueen's past and her descent into a kind of madness as the phone calls start are presented well enough that the actions others in the book deem crazy seem almost reasonable and Lou's devotion to her is apparent. In the same way, Manx's beliefs are so strongly presented that Bing's devotion to him also seems quite natural.

As a long time Stephen King fan, I did enjoy the slight nods Joe Hill puts in to his father's works. He references places his father has used in his novels and some of the things Manx's Rolls Royce Wraith does evokes Stephen King's "Christine". The largely character driven writing is much the same, as is the slow build and the way Hill draws you in to the novel and makes you care about his characters before he starts doing particularly nasty things to them.

Is "NOS4R2" a book greatly helped along by genetics? I don't know. What I do know is that it's a deeply disturbing book written by a great new writer in the horror field. Wherever Hill's talents came from, they're clearly on display here and he's certainly deserving of a long and successful career in the field to match his father's, to judge from this novel. If you're a reader who, like me, found the horror field through the popularity of Stephen King, you're going to love Joe Hill, especially with something this good.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 24 November 2014
You know sometimes a book sucks you in so completely that you can’t read anything else for a while afterwards? This was one of those. There was too much rolling round my head at the end to pick up the next book in my pile even though I really wanted to read. I had a NOS4R2 hangover.

I had heard good things about this book from friends and I absolutely loved Horns (totally can’t wait for the film!) so when I received some Waterstones vouchers for Christmas NOS4R2 was one of the first things I grabbed off the shelf. The edition I have has the cover pictured here and I think it is fantastic. Viewed from a distance it looks like a jolly Christmas wreath with a rusty number plate underneath but closer inspection reveals the rust to be suspiciously blood-stain like and the light reflections in the baubles aren’t lights at all, but skulls. It’s joyfully creepy and I love it.

I loved the characterisation in the book – one of the key things in horror, for me anyway, is that I have to care about the cast. If I don’t care about anyone then I don’t particularly care and am not particularly horrified if anything happens to them and theirs. It just turns into aimless gore and people jumping out from behind walls for a cheap scare – okay but nothing that crawls under your skin and haunts you. When the author takes the time to make you care about people in the story though, it’s a whole different ball game because then all manner of emotions can be played with and manipulated to build the suspense: fear, hope, disgust, worry, love, sadness, anger, confusion. All of that together worms its way into your mind and makes everything more effective – even the out and out gorey scenes.

I cried at least three times in NOS4R2 and I stayed up reading into the night a good couple of times purely because I was too creeped out to put it down and go to sleep.

What I liked about the story was that it wasn’t horror in a ‘THE MONSTERS ARE COMING WE HAVE TO SURVIVE’ relentless kind of way, it was a subtle building of fear based on possible insanity, the idea of somebody preying on children and the struggle of just a few people to try and stop something nobody else will believe in. Also the twisting of the goodness of Christmas is a bit creepy in itself.

Charlie Manx is terrifying purely because he believes so completely in what he is doing. There is no remorse in taking the children and he genuinely believes he is ‘saving’ them from everything bad whereas in fact he is stripping them of what makes them human and turning them into something else entirely. And that’s before we even get to the whole multiple rows of razor sharp teeth thing.