Liquid Spirit
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 March 2016
The best version of an awesome album. Those in the know, know Blue Note records don't release anything not up to their ridiculously high standards, so even if you don't know Mr Porter (you should) you can be assured that this album is no run of the mill offering.

The runaway track here is "Liquid Spirit" a no nonsense song about the greed of man (read capitalism) that deprives people of their basic needs like water. Even if you're a dance aficionado you will have heard this track thanks to the excellent house reworking by Claptone which is also included on this Deluxe Edition.

So I've written paragraphs and only mentioned one track so far. I could go into details about the melancholy blues genius that is Water Under Bridges, the perfectly arranged cover of The In Crowd or the other 15 or so tracks (there are 19 presented) but all are just superb.

If you have a decent stereo state this disc will make your stereo shine. Those of you into Blue Note jazz may have noticed that original recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder has been painstakingly digitally remastering a lot of the back catalogue to get the best from CD format. This disc will never need that. Every detail in the bass, cymbal etc is presented and every hammer strike in the piano carries a meaningful emotion. Combined with Porters earthy vocal timbre you have an amazing record. Buy it and enjoy the brilliant album.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2017
US singer Gregory Porter has a sumptuous, soulful, quicksilver voice; he makes it all look so effortless and easy. ‘Liquid Spirit’ was Porter's debut for Blue Note and is polished and confident from his warm baritone voice, and it has a title track that is a real gospel swinger. But for me, it's the funky groovers on which he sounds most at home, such as ‘Free’, and the wonderful 1960’s hit ‘The In Crowd’. Porter has great rhythmic phrasing and he is diverse and refuses to be categorized by jazz, gospel, soul, or R & B. One must also mention Porter’s commanding, heartfelt delivery on "Hey Laura" he is relaxed but utterly sincere in his delivery. The way he and his band, and one must mention his band, move through blues, jazz, gospel, and R&B shows such great musical skill and rich talent.
on 1 May 2015
There are a fair number of reviews that say this album is not as good as previous ones, but for me this is an all time classic.

The sound is more Blues-Soul than Jazz which is where the problem possibly lies with the purists, but the superb “stripped back acoustic” sound makes this a very intimate listen. Close your eyes and on a decent system this guy is right there with his band a few feet in front of you, delivering a pitch and note perfect performance with nowhere to hide.

There are few albums where when you want to sit back with a glass of wine and unwind that you don’t end up reaching for the skip button for some of the tracks… but this is one of those rarities. Gregory reaches inside your mind with an honesty that is rare with so many over-produced albums these days.

So for me Gregory … lets have more of this… it’s unique and refreshing…and transcends your earlier mainstream jazz albums.
on 5 June 2016
As you will already know if your reading this Gregory has an amazing voice, smooth as chocolate with a fantastic range.
I own his 4 albums, all on vinyl, they all are fantastic.
Water and Be Good are probably slightly more jazzy and follow on seamlessly from each other, whereas Liquid Spirit and Take Me To The Alley are probably a little easier for most people to "get into" and again follow from each other, could quite easily be a double album, (or quadruple in the case of vinyl) if you follow my drift.
Very hard to pick out a favourite from them as they are all so good , but if push came to shove I would probably single out Liquid Spirit.
If you haven't already got it pick up a copy now and give your ears a well deserved treat.
on 7 November 2016
I bought this album on the strength of one song as seen on the TV's Jools Holland Show. I cant knock Gregory's excellent voice but to be honest apart from the one song I personally found the rest of the album for the most part rather uninteresting. Not really to my personal taste.
on 13 February 2015
I am giving this album 4 start, not that I think the music is bad, far from it but the format I purchased it on could be better. I don't know what has happened to vinyl today but the quality is not as it should be. I have had to return records or complain far to often and I have given up now. With this particular record whilst it plays well the plastic has imperfections in it. I suspect that either their is a defect in the materials or the process when a certain amount of vinyl is placed or injected between the stampers which are pressed together to squeeze the grooves into the vinyl. Also this LP has a scratch on side two, just noticeable unfortunately.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2017
Thought I would try as I had heard him live on Radio 2 but to me it is all very samey. Although he has a pleasant voice it just did not float my boat. If you are thinking of it, try it as he my suit your taste.
on 21 May 2014
I first saw this guy on Jools Holland LATER show. What a voice. He has been described as the new Marvin Gaye. I'd go one better and say that Gregory Porter is an even better jazz singer. His voice is laid back, soulful with a beautiful tone. He is going to be really big. This album illustrates his quirky songwriting talents too, so a great introduction to the man's talents. There are one or two numbers which are only ok on the album, so I have given it 4 out of 5. Strongly recommended if you like your jazz singers cool, soulful and jazzy.
on 13 June 2015
that is all there is too say, other than IF you have heard of Gregory Porter, well this is the Album to buy to enjoy.
Of course its even better if your having a liquid spirit with it, a nice single malt comes to mind.
on 22 February 2015
Never knew of this artist, never knew such a musician existed. I researched and heard this musician by shear accident, I was overwhelmed and excited from hearing the first track on he album, thereon, other tracks was just as brilliant as the first. I did not hesitate to purchase this album. It is warm, mellow and has hints of jazz and blues all glazed into one. This album stands high on my 5* shelf of CD's. Love it to bits.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse