Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

I bought this based on amazon's recommendation. After I'd bought Children of the Stones this kept popping up as a 'you may also like' and I decided to try it as it had such positive reviews. As a Northern 70's kid this obviously has a massive nostalgia value for me, but the series is much more than that. It's based around really strong, well developed characters, all of whom are so well played. Each episode focuses mainly on one or two of the paper lads, and lass, as they experience problems and adventures which in turn give deeper layers to their characters. There are four main characters throughout the two series. Feisty but sensitive Sam, trying to patch the rift between her Granda and her mam; Ian, a gifted artist with an unhappy home life; Baz, with his dreams of being a ballroom dancing champion, and Gog, always the jester but with a deep, intuitive nature. Series one also has J.G., the likeable, sensible head lad, who was replaced in series two by the less likeable Neville who is the only weak link in the series, and thankfully he's only in three episodes. Neville's meant to be a bad 'un, but he doesn't match the others for acting skills.

The strength of character development in Sam, Baz, Ian and Gog is equalled by the stories themselves, which hit the right balance between drama, pathos and humour, delving into the characters lives, dreams and personalities with the delicate touch that produces real character led television. My favourite episode is A Day to Remember, where the paper lads and lass go on a works outing, which has the line 'Well I don't suppose you can expect to go on an annual treat EVERY year!' It is very nostalgic to anyone of around my age, but it's wonderful in its own right as a beautifully written and acted series.
on 19 July 2017
Excellent quality which arrived on time.
on 2 May 2017
great dvd delivered quickly
on 19 July 2017
It was a waisting from time and money. Don't buy it
on 25 August 2016
I bought this with mediocre expectations, I thought it would be entertaining, but I didn't think it would be anything majorly special, I was wrong, it is one of the best 70s/80s kids series I've ever seen, the theme, the stories, the characters, all hit a spot with me and I don't know how much I can recommend this series, you may think, what a series about paper boys that good, let me tell you, one story climax takes place on a giant ship in a builders yard and another is about one of the characters torn between following his dream and keeping face I front of his friends, this is the kind of compelling story telling that is missing from today's series, bring the kind of series back and kick out the sponge. In short, I highly recommend this series, give it a watch and fall in love with the characters, settings and stories just like I did!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2013
I had never seen this programme before. I usually go through stages of wanting to watch late 70s And early 80s gems that i may have missed but would have loved to watch,so i came across this.

Its set around Newcastle - if you can understand Cheryl Cole and Byker Grove then youll understand this - centred mainly on the local newsagent. The group deliver newspapers and sometimes see things they have to get involved in. I thoroughly enjoyed it,although the newsagents wife can be a tad annoying voicewise.

If you expect the cgi effects of this era you will be sorely dissapointed, its just charming nostalgia in seeing massive boxes of Dairy box chocolates in the background or texan bars on countertops that thrill my easy to please nerves. Hearing someone say - run to me mahs and tell her ring for t'police.... not a mobile phone in sight.

For young actors they are perfect for the role, ive only watched one disc and the second says that one or two changes are made so there maybe something i havent commented on that ill update in time.

If you are from tyne tees area its surely a must buy... if you liked Jossies Giants and early Byker Grove then its a no brainer.

I mention the above as theyre 2series that have been ignored a dvd release yet kids and adults would still love to see them.

All in all if youve made it to the review section you must have a slight interest...trust me...youll enjoy it..
on 4 March 2014
I love harping back to the good old days of the 1970s, and I vaguely remember this on telly, especially the theme tune. Living in the Yorkshire television area, we also picked up Tyne Tees television. So great to see the terraced houses of the north east. No traffic. Sweets in jars in proper newsagents. Those chocolate machines on outside walls that would be vandalised these days..Great!! The stories are good and well acted. If you love the 70s (and probably from OOP NORTH like me) you will find this very entertaining!!
on 26 February 2014
The DvD was well remastered & the series of how paper lads (& lass!) solved problems & beat the baddies. I didn't see this series when it came out but it is of its time. One could argue that it's nostalgia with a capital 'N'. On the whole, the acting - particularly of the girl & main boy characters - is excellent bordering on the outstanding & it's surprising looking at IMDB that only one of them made a career of it. However, some of the minor characters both adult & children are appalling. The rogue paper lad is so wooden that it's difficult to believe he could be so devious. On the whole the series is a good example of the TV programming for children of the time.
I was born in 1988 and this show is from the late 1970's so I had never seen The Paper Lads before. But as Amazon kept on recommending it to me and as I have a lot of Network DVD's anyway I decided to take a chance on it, and I loved it, loved little Gog and also loved the episode “The “Sweetie Shop Kid”. I didn't enjoy the dog racing episode much, but 1 out of the 2 series aint all that bad. Pleased I gave it a chance now :)

Series 1 – Disk 1:

Episode 5 – Presents From Paris, 8th January 1979
Episode 6 – It Takes Two To Tango, 15th January 1979
Episode 7 – The Sailor's Return, 22nd January 1979
on 7 October 2013
Took me back to my child hood in Gateshead,Sights that are now gone brought back to myn memory thank you