Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 13 May 2013
Anyone who has kept half an eye on The Boxer Rebellion's progress, knew that when Promises was announced, that we were in store for a beautiful collection of songs. The band have moved away from the rawness of 'Watermelon', their first feature single in 2003, as front-man Nathan Nicholson, has learnt to bring out the best in his voice. The memorable drums of 'Evacuate' - which incidentally featured as an iTunes single of the week at one point - are maintained in part on this new release, but prepare yourself for a mellower and arguably more entrancing sound with this TBR's fourth album.

We kick off the record with a single that oozes class in 'Diamonds' and shows the musical world that you a belting chorus is not always required to produce an outstanding track. The same can be said of 'New York' whose chorus is even more stripped down than 'Diamonds' and relies solely on a building drum beat and Nathan's controlled vocals. Whereas I enjoyed jumping around to the older material, these two tracks connect with me on a deeper emotional level. Other picks for me include 'Always' and the title track 'Promises', the latter of which is every bit as strong as the final track on The Cold Still, named 'Doubt'. The band have a habit of signing the album off with a haunting track that makes you want to hit the replay button time and again!

Why does the album fall short of getting a full 5 stars from me? This is because I'm being hyper-critical and think they could have done more with the song 'You Belong to Me'. It's another slower one but fails to send goosebumps down my spine for one reason or another. Also, purchasing the CD from Amazon doesn't include track 10, 'Dream' and I was a little disappointed to make this discovery.

The Boxer Rebellion certainly have brought a richness to their music with the production of their last couple of albums and I believe that Promises should appeal to a widespread audience; pop fans as well as alternative rockers should be seduced by this record. It will provide them with their biggest shot at stardom yet.
on 23 September 2013
Where to start with this one. Just amazing from beginning to end. This band should be enormous which just goes to show how little justice there is in the music business. I must admit it took me a few listens for the songs to finally grab the ears and brain, but now I'm hooked. Sweeping melodies and the vocals of Nathan Nicholson are just so moving. To single him out is of course unfair since the band as a whole have created this incredible offering, but the signature sound is obviously his and this provides the guiding light of the music. This CD should be made compulsory listening and a lesson to all on how a few songs go together to make a truly excellent opus. For me there is one big problem though: How on earth are they going to top this?
on 26 April 2014
Uplifting and thought provoking in equal measure. For anyone who doesn't own a Boxer Rebellion album then this is the easiest album to get into with imediately likeable tracks such as 'Keep Moving'. For me the gem is the title track Promises, the last song on the album. Get it bought!
on 1 June 2013
Like every good band The Boxer Rebellion try new ideas with every album. Promises is no exception. They are using more synths and possibly loops from what I can tell but the end result is a very cerebrally pleasing product, bordering on pop in places but never straying too far from the building, rhythmic and haunting sonic landscapes that TBR have made their own. Check out 'Diamonds' and 'New York'.
on 2 August 2013
Heard one track on a film and immediately bought the album.. love absolutely brilliant. Haven't stopped listening to it. Have a listen you may be surprised
on 11 March 2014
I love the new music scene. There is so much talent out there for me to try and Amazon makes it possible for me to browse and buy the good stuff. This is one of those albums. As an old dude, I can't get into buying singles so I only pick great albums and this is GREAT!
on 21 October 2013
Terrific album, my neighbours daughter is married to Piers , the drummer so added interest in the band. Bought earlier one, but heard this on flight to Phuket...and just had to get it even if I'm 58 years old.
Bought the CD and got the Amazon Cloud free, so sat listening to it as I type....not a single track that I don't like. Keep turning out great albums like this
on 20 September 2013
This is their best release so far and what a work have these guys done. The Cd is just "Epic" in one word. For me, it's the best release of 2013 and few if any can match them. Thank you for such a wonderful music!!!
on 14 May 2013
I'm sure there will be far more eloquent reviews about this album than mine, but all you need to know is this record is an absolute belter.The last two albums were great, but dare I say it this is better than both and maybe sees the band at their peak.
on 30 May 2013
Have been a huge fan of the boxer rebellion since there debut album exits, every album gets better and better. I never knew this album came out, I listened to samples on Itunes and will be honest wasn't too sure about the change in style, it sounded a bit more poppy and electronic, but brought the album and well loved it. It is very different to there previous incantations, whether it's there best yet is a matter of opinion I suppose, I did prefer them when they where more rock, but that's not to say I am disappointed or think this album is terrible.
it's a very well crafted album, but just take note it is a bit different, but it's anthemic from the opening track diamonds, which I love.
granted i know a band should never just clone there albums by making the same style every CD but thankfully didn't do a radiohead who where good up until there last album.
though why The Boxer rebellion aren't well established is beyond me, they play such great music. better than some that are out nowadays.
but this is just the way the music industry is at the moment.
So the final point should you buy this album... I would say yes. but check out youtube to see if you like the new sound, again it isn't a completely different sound. Don't want to mislead anyone into thinking there new album is just a jumped up pop record with no emotion because that is far from the truth.
I hope the Boxer rebellion keeps making music because i will always buy there albums.