Customer reviews

The Space Trilogy
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£12.49

on 21 November 2013
If you're used to the way Lewis writes you'll have no trouble following the story. He manages to include philosophy and religion in a way that doesn't detract from the story and at times challanges the reader to think more deeply about their own beliefs. That being said the story itself is a good tale of man exploring the worlds that make up our solar system, along the lines of other late victorian sci fi writers, and what could posdibly be there. I've found it a good read and the type of book to be read several times with something different sparking thoughts each time.
on 31 March 2014
A matter of taste but Lewis is sufficiently well known that those who don't like his books don't buy them. I am using the Kindle version to replace long-lost print copies: and though I am not completely in sympathy with Lewis' outlook they have been well worth adding to my electronic library and I have thoroughly enjoyed rereading it after all these years

Somebody else has commented on "That Hideous Strength" being complete or at least more skillfully abbreviated than the paperback (when my wartime hardback fell apart I bought the paperback and have rarely been more annoyed).
on 27 May 2014
I really enjoyed this space trilogy. I am a fan of science fiction and fantasy and this was a great read. I've read it three or four times and it just does not get old.
on 6 May 2014
c.S. Lewis is one of my favourite authors. It is many years since I read the whole trilogy. When I received a Kindle gift token this trilogy was my first choice. So far I have reread Out of the Silent Planet, and the only thing stopping me getting into Perelandra is the fact that I want to save it for some train journeys coming up!
on 15 May 2015
Poor quality binding. pages coming away from spine after only reading book 1.
on 3 June 2014
Old fashioned but beautifully written. This was Sci Fi back in the day. Still an interesting perspective on the future.
on 14 December 2013
I wouldn't know how to categorise this trilogy whether as sci-fi or theological treatise. The intrusion of the latter element for me spoiled the former. The religious element is more evident as the trilogy develops and I found myself skipping large chunks of the text to omit this element. The trilogy is fine if you like this type of thing, if not stick to HG Wells, Ray Bradbury, Asimov or Clarke who have more expertise at this Genre.
on 12 January 2017
Reads like a canvas of an artist. From the three books, "Perelandra" was most surprising and insightful. I just kept thinking about the unhuman characteristics of the Perelandra Eve. The awkward silences yet not for her, the laughs that make no sense, the faith in presence and no affection of tomorrow. The need to stay young. So out of this world that you cannot leave unchanged.
on 25 May 2015
This series of three books is both gripping and fascinating. The story progresses gradually then more rapidly as you move forwards in the narrative. Each book can be read alone and is brilliant even by itself, but put in sequence with the others forms part of an even greater whole. The adventures of Dr Ransom are really engaging, drawing you in to find out what happens, and really gripping so that you find yourself trying to squeeze extra minutes into your day, so as to find out what happens next. I certainly found myself staying up late into the night to finish the third book, which is a kind of summary and 'denouement' of the whole series. I last read this series some years ago and the story was so dramatic that I clearly and accurately remembered the main thrust of the story, although I had forgotten how beautiful and detailed the description was.
This is certainly one of the best three-volume series I have read and I shall read it again soon.
on 17 July 2016
I've just ordered this. I first read it when I was twenty (a long time ago) and was entranced. Some time in between I've re-read it and I've decided to look again. It's one of those things that I've never forgotten, it so removed me from the daily grind.