Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 10 January 2016
Not bad quite an interesting book not read it all get keep going back to it. It's not a story just someone telling you how things were so you can delve in and out whenever really I was hoping for a persons life telling me about their life growing up in the fifties but its just facts really but I'll read it to the end because I'm interested in that era but the aurthor does write like it was an awful ere and not pleasant at all dosnt mention any advantages and I'm sure they were many like more respect less crime been able to rely on your neighbours more and more community spirit etc
on 16 July 2017
ok
on 28 March 2017
memories! excellent book and an excellent reminder of how things were, and how they could be again ... though i hope not.
on 20 May 2012
In this fascinating book, Jessica Mann gives an account of what life was like for women in the 1950s. It makes for compelling reading and I can't imagine any woman, after having read this book, express a yearning to return to those days and be a "captive wife." It is hard for those of us born after the 1960s to imagine what it must have been like: limited educational and work opportunities, complete financial dependence upon your husband, the devastating consequences of a pregnancy outside of marriage and the eternal domestic grind without the labour saving devices we take for granted today are just some of the aspects which Mann covers.
I read this book with a mixture of fascination, horror and a heartfelt appreciation for the times I live in today. Highly recommended for women of all ages.
on 5 May 2012
I was born just after the war and I am mortified to be reminded of the limited hygiene we took for granted! Jessica Mann's book is full of such reminders - and I have given copies to my adult children so they may have an insight into the life of their parents and grandparents.
While 'The Fifties Mystique' does highlight the incredible indignities that women took for granted in that decade and beyond, this does not mean that it is of interest only to ardent feminists. It is a very enjoyable read, well-researched and a reminder that all freedoms have to be won and protected.
Recommended for anyone who would like to learn, or be reminded about, everyday life and social behaviour in the post-war years - and to discover how far we have come.
on 3 May 2012
A real eye opener for those who take today's equality of the sexes very much as a given. Vivid descriptions of pre-machine drudgery and the boredom of the diurnal round, of the ignorance brought about by prudery- of how recently things were so very different, and less good, for women. A lovely read, in short chunks or as a whole. The author's voice comes across loud and clear and determined to correct nostalgic rose-tinted views of those bad old days.
on 1 April 2012
This book tells the post-Feminist generation what it was really like in the fifties, why we needed Feminism so very badly, and why we must do everything in our power to protect it.
on 26 September 2015
Bit heavy in places, I was born in the 50's I think they were good times, I had parents two mum and dad, felt secure yes I'd go back tomorrow
on 5 May 2012
Writer Jessica Mann -- previously best known for her literary journalism and crime novels -- takes a look back at what it was like to be a young woman in the 1950s. For those who look at the past through rose-tinted, Daily Mail style glasses this brilliant and compelling book will come as an eye opener. And for any men who really think that forcing your women to feign stupidity and helplessness is or was a good idea, even more so. If the past is another country, for women the 1950s was North Korea! Heartily recommended.
on 30 September 2015