Customer reviews

Horrible Histories - Series 5 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 November 2014
Fifth and final season of Horrible Histories, the comedy sketch show based on the popular children's books which reveal the more gruesome and lesser known things about the past.

You know this already if you're reading this, but just in case you're uninitiated: Each episode lasts twenty seven minutes, and uses a mixture of sketches, regular sketches, songs and animation to tell the facts about history. All linked together by a puppet rat called Rattus Rattus. There are regular mentions of certain bodily functions, but never for cheap laughs. Simply because it was a horrible bit of history. The regular cast of performers switch effortlessly between character and costume from sketch to sketch.

And this is one of those shows that has fans of all ages. Because it's silly and funny enough for the kids, whilst being funny for the grown ups who appreciate how clever the writing is - among other things, it will do very clever wordplay. Grown ups also appreciate the very sharp comedy. Plus all generations do get interesting facts presented to them in an interesting manner.

This season was twelve episodes. The box does say thirteen but that's because the 'savage songs' extra, which usually links all the songs from individual episodes together, was also broadcast as an individual episode in it's own right. All the songs in this do appear in the other episodes of the season. But it does contain original linking material featuring Rattus Rattus which is pretty funny.

There's a good mix of regular sketches through the season, with plenty of Horrible histories movie pitch, historical apprentice, ancient Brian Cox, and a good few stupid deaths. Bob Hale puts in three appearances. And one semi regular sketch not seen in a while does also make a welcome one off return. It also touches on the twentieth century outside of the World Wars, with some 'Troublesome twentieth century' stuff.

The final episode does end on a big rousing musical number which does bring a lot together, and is a song that will stick in your mind for a while. It's a really great finale of the kind the show deserved.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

Extras, in addition to the aforementioned Savage Songs [that can be watched individually rather than having to go through it all for just one song] are the usual quiz questions, pulling out all those from individual episodes. Bloopers: two minutes of outtakes.

Plus stuff we couldn't fit in. This batch of scenes runs for almost twenty five minutes, so it's almost the length of a full episode. Since it contains one of the best ever stupid deaths, and a brilliant ancient Greek version of a certain game show. So it's well worth a watch.
on 23 August 2017
I love to watch this with my 9 year old daughter. We've laughed and learned together. This series is fun and very informative - I can't watch without reaching for the internet to look deeper into some fact or other, at least once an episode. Love the songs too - as well as the history, we've listened to the original songs that they parody - giving my daughter some music history too. We watch this as a family - three generations - and we've used it as a springboard to talk about our family history when relevant sections are on. This programme is paused and rewound so many times, just so we don't miss anything - oh, and there's hell to pay, from my daughter, if anyone talks over it.
on 15 November 2013
Being a forty year old, Horrible Histories is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes I know it is a children's television programme, but in my view it is spoilt on kids, us adults can enjoy the humour in the programme just as much as the kids can. I love the fact that I learn some interesting facts about history too, acted out by some brilliant actors, but in amusing fashion.
I'm not sure if my favourite section is the excellent 'Stupid Deaths' sections or the songs, because both are so well performed.
I was very sad to hear that this is to be the final series of this fantastic programme, but I will have to console myself with the 5 series that I have purchased to continue viewing this gem of a programme.
on 24 May 2015
I can not get enough of Horrible Histories! Really funny, yet stuffed full of facts!! The actors are wonderful and finish the whole thing off! I have caught a glimpse of the next series, but all of the original actors have left so I don't find it good at all, that makes this dvd the last series of proper Horrible Histories, in my opinion. Series five is just as good as the four before it and make a subject that for some consists chiefly of dates alive and acessable. The DVD it's self arrived quickly, well packaged!
on 29 July 2014
Brilliant! I lose track of which series is which as we've had them all on rotation for 7 months now - my daughter loves them, she's 6 and it's also teaching my husband and I a thing or two as well. It's really fed her thirst for knowledge and she will quite often come out with some fact or another which she will proudly claim she learnt from Horrible Histories.

Really recommend to anyone with kids from about 5-6 years. Love singing the songs - wish they'd release a CD of them!
on 2 April 2014
Only downside to this dvd is that it is the last in the series. What will us grownups find on CBBC now? Help, we might actually have to watch adult telly! No, seriously, butting the trend, these series just get better and better. Even the songs become more entertaining - this cast could make an album.
on 7 October 2015
This is one of my favourite TV series. It's full of historical facts, presented in a fun atmosphere. It's funny and charming and I recommend it to everyone. Suitable for kids and big kids
on 6 March 2014
I would recommend this to anyone , especially if they are interested in history. It teaches you interesting facts about life in different stages of history, in short comedy sketches. It's classed as a kid's programme, but it just as entertaining for adults.
on 11 March 2014
We love all of the HH series as whilst our sons are enjoying TV and getting an education at the same time (who knew), my husband and I are howling next to them. These are extremely entertaining, well made, factual, memorable, the list goes on. Highly recommended.
on 31 August 2017