on 4 November 2012
An excellent book on polymer clay, as it covers almost all aspects of creating a lifelike figure, from measuring the clay to adding the final touches. Lots of pictures and step by step instructions, the author guides you all the way to completing your figure, leaving nothing obscure or unanswered.I already tried a couple of figures (don't count the first one as it didn't even resemble a human...) and (I think) I'm starting to improve (I can at least pinpoint my mistakes). My worst nightmare is when I have to blend the seams after I add a piece of clay ,where I find it difficult to do this and at the same time avoid distorting the work already done(particularly around the face, where everything is just tiny ). I guess here comes practice and experience.
A complete book on its subject, you'll be glad you got this one. Have fun !
review image review image
on 1 May 2017
Possibly the best book about modelling clay figures; I would have thought they would be smaller figures though ;)
on 3 August 2010
This book will tell you how to make scale models of the human form in great detail. I haven't made any models using the book as a reference yet, but when I have the time, I know this book will be invaluable.
on 8 February 2015
I got this book for my mum as she was looking for ideas with clay making, she loved it.
on 24 June 2008
I've wanted this book ever since I read and loved `Life-Like Animals in Polymer Clay'. This book is comprehensive, simple to understand, and most importantly - interesting and fun to read!

The author is a talented artist, and a good instructor of her craft, as is demonstrated in both of her how-to books. She really knows her medium and how to show others how to use it.

I'd recommend this book as a good follow-on (for the more experienced polymer clay artist); beginners should start with books like `Clay Characters for Kids' or `How to Make Clay Characters' both by Maureen Carlson.

I'm an intermediate user of polymer clay - I've used it for a couple of years and it's not an easy material to get to grips with; I wouldn't say that a true beginner should start with a book like this unless they're a very quick learner. However I'd highly recommend they bought it and put it on their craft bookshelf for later!

The only downside is that you'll need to buy a lot of extras to go with this book: polymer clay obviously, but also a lot of modelling tools are mentioned in it that people new to clay might not have. The author is also very specific with her instructions about tools, and people new to the medium might not want to substitute tools right away. However, tools are fairly easy to get hold of, it's just something to be aware of when you buy this book.

`Life-Like Figures in Polymer Clay' is a great book, and I'm so glad it's come back into print!
on 22 July 2011
I have just received this book and I am blown away by its design, contents and illustrations. I am a complete novice to figure work with Polymer clay and I would recommend this book to everyone, whether novice or expert. This book covers the fundamentals for tools needed, priming the clay for work and the step by step guides for each aspect of creating a figure are suberb. The photographic detail for every step of the modelling process are first class and the notes provided in each section compliment the detail. If you are a novice to this work then I recommend this book without any doubt at all. I will certainly look for any other books by this author, Katherine Dewey.
on 10 September 2008
Absolutely brilliant book!!

I am not a beginner in polymer clay art but this book is another world how in few steps you can create realistic figurine. Easy to follow pictures, description, measurment instructions are really helpful and you can not possibly make an error.

Read every single word in this book, do not skip and you will not regret the result. Good luck!
on 9 September 2004
Creating Life-Like Figures in Polymer Clay is the most comprehensive book I have come across for the Polymer Clay artist.
Katherine Dewey is inspiring and makes it possible to achieve wonderful results by following her techniques. The book is a joy to read to look at, as the entire book is in colour.
An invaluable book to have as part of any clay artist reference library.
on 16 June 2010
This is a lovely and well set out book. The instructions on how to build form with correct proportions are detailed, with enough information to expand on your own ideas and designs. It's a great beginners book and has pretty much all you need to know to get started, but I wish there was more information about building stands and displays.
on 9 April 2010
This book goes into great detail on how to achieve fantastic polymer clay human figures. It even tells you how to make your own tools in order to create the figures. A lot of detail is covered with chapters on face making, how to create toned muscles, how to make someone look aged, how to create hair...etc. The only bit that is not in here is how to make a little polymer clay baby. If you are looking to make human figures then this is a great book to start with.