on 15 April 2018
I bought this to help complete my Caro Emerald vinyl collection, and it’s truley a great album, I have listened to this on CD and the internet numerous times and it’s still just as good as my first time, while it’s not as cheeky as Deleated Scenes, it’s still fun.

Now on to the product (VINYL), I don’t know why this was not pressed in a coloured vinyl, as Deleted Scenes is Red with acoustic in Yellow and shocking is Orange (acoustic). That is my only problem with this Purchase, unless I’m missing something.
on 22 February 2016
This is a brilliant album. I love her singing and style. Full on energy and a lovely voice.
More importantly the recording quality is very good. Her diction is clear and the instruments so very real.
The soundstage is wide and deep. On my system the sound is a joy to listen to.
I have this album (the single version) on vinyl. Here, the sound is even better spread over four sides.
I am looking forward to her new work.
on 3 June 2013
Caro Emerald and her production team remain the same on their second album, following up the phenomenally successful (in all senses) Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor. It was always going to be an impossible task to capture the surprise hit and throw-away charm of that first album, but this comes as close as it's probably possible. Given that it IS a follow-up and all the difficulties that that entails, it is still an incredibly good effort. In many respects the character of Miss Emerald is brought to the fore much more on this outing and some of the witty lyrics really take center stage in a way they didn't so much on the first album. Coming Back As A Man and Liquid Lunch stand out.

Basically this is a great effort and does the job as well as can be hoped. Proof that the first album wasn't simply a fluke or a one-off. A well deserved success for independent music and production.
on 17 May 2013
There's a good review here by Sid Nuncius that pretty much sums up my feelings on this follow-up by Caro Emerald. It is really good, but just lacks that spark that made her first album so darned good. We saw her live in Bournemouth earlier this year and she performed some of the tracks on this new album, and live it really does have that zing, so the over-production on the album came as a slight disappointment. Can't wait to see her in Leicester in September!

We dance to several of the tracks from Deleted Scenes at our ballroom and latin dance class, but I fear we won't be able to use too many from the new album as most of the tracks that would be good to dance to have odd breaks and twiddly bits in them that would make it hard for us beginners. That's another reason why I'm slightly less enthused about this one.

That said, if you liked the first album you'll like this too, so buy it!
on 20 September 2013
If you bought 'Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor', then you might be expecting much of the same from this Album, and you would be right. Not as commercial but with all the wonderful sounds and Instrumentation that make Caro Emeralds voice stand out as well as blending in with the lavish swaying Foot tapping sounds that we came to love on Her previous Album. The credits however, must go to the 'Team' that put Her Albums together. Behind every great Singer, there's the Musicianship that keeps the music alive. I hope they continue to Work together and produce a third great Album.
on 22 August 2013
If "Deleted Scenes" had the technical accomplishment, this album is less musically complex but she really uses her words in interesting ways in the lyrics, which is refreshing to hear on a CD (or on the radio for that matter), especially when every radio station seems to have "What rhymes with hug me....?" and "I'm up all night to get lucky..." on continuous repeat. It's really nice to hear lyrical complexity from Caro Emerald instead of just words as a placeholder to carry a meaningless and repetitive tune, which is what most other singers seem to be going for. I really liked the packaging and disc as well.
on 11 October 2013
Back in late April and early May of this year I noticed various advertising posters bearing the rather striking album cover; dotted around the various London Underground stations I have to travel through on my daily commute to and from work. At first I thought it was an advert for a book in the "Fifty Shades of Grey" genre, which so didn't interest me at all, until I realised on closer inspection it was actually an advert for a new music release. I made a mental note of the name of the album so that I could listen to it on Spotify, and I am so glad that I did. It's a wonderful, wonderful album that manages to combine so many different elements into its 14 tracks, that you sometimes forget that it is actually the same vocalist throughout. It has one foot firmly planted in a homage to vintage easy listening jazz, and the other in the kind of harmonious pop that ABBA pulled off so successfully. Throw in a nod or two to those vintage big band girl harmonies, and a dash of DJ scratching and oh so subtle references to hip-hop (so subtle you won't even realise you're listening to them), and it all adds up to a perfect cocktail of crystal clear vocals, sublime orchestrations, sneaky beats, and general toe-tapping all around. I'd thoroughly recommend checking out her debut "Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor" too. I'm looking forward to album number three, but in the meantime, I will definitely be buying the deluxe edition of this album when it's released. Yes, it's that good I'm going to buy it again!
on 24 May 2013
I was first introduced to songs of Caro Emerald in a restaurant in Hull. I was astounded by her voice and songs so bought Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor. It was excellent so as soon as The Shocking Miss Emerald came out I had to buy it. Another superb cd. I don't agree with other reviewers who think it is not as good as the first. I probably felt the same the first time I listened to it but second time around I was totally hooked. The first album was more dance and lively and I find this one a bit more sultry but with some lively songs. You can't compare the two apart from both having an excellent performance from the singer herself. I can't say whether I prefer this album to the last, they are both as good as each other. How boring would an artist be if they repeated the same thing over and over again. I also like the small books that come with her cds and I especially like how this cd comes looking like an old vinyl record. You won't be disappointed buying The Shocking Miss Emerald.
on 14 January 2015
I was given Deleted Scenes . . .for christmas and was knocked out by it so I ordered The Shocking Miss Emerald as soon as I could. This 2cd package is not quite as good in my opinion, but having said that, the live cd (cd2) is superb and it's worth buying just for that. A mix of an old time jazzy feel, sixties spaghetti western theme music and modern day synth that is quite unique. She also has a wonderful voice - so what could be better? Don't delay, buy it today and be prepared to be amazed. If you haven't got Deleted Scenes . . . Get that at the same time, you won't be disappointed.
on 19 June 2013
This was a Father's Day gift from our son to his dad.

It was a huge success, except for the part where we were trapped in the van for five hours, with the CD on repeat. It did take the edge off for the 14 year old son, but that's just how life goes. After years of Bob the Builder's Greatest Hits, it is time for a bit of parental revenge.

It's a great collection of songs which are luscious and funny and engaging and induce parents to participate in singing out loud, thus adding a bit more fun to the trip. Except for the son, who might perhaps want to buy something other than a CD next year.