on 23 September 2013
I've had to totally rewrite my review from a 1 star review to a 5 star review, because believe it or not, I was sent a fake cable by the Amazon seller "NiceVisionLondon" (do not purchase from this seller!).

Following my previous review, I was contacted by Belkin who told me my cable was very likely to be a fake. I didn't personally think anyone would bother to fake a £14 cable, but Belkin sent me a free replacement so I could compare the two. The fake is extremely good quality, but the cable itself was reported as "not Apple certified" by the iPhone whenever I plugged it in and the cable didn't work on USB 3 ports at all.

How to check if you've got a fake cable:

1. There are (very) minor packaging differences on the boxes, which include a couple of typos. eg the box has a message to Australian users at the bottom right of the back of the box in fine print, but on the fake box all the letter t's are missing from this particular sentence, but these are present on the real box I got sent from Belkin. On the cable itself, the fattest part of the connector at the lightning end is about 2mm longer on the real cable than on the fake one. I have posted a comparison photo as a "customer photo" for this product.

2. Another way to tell if the cable is real is to try and use it to charge your phone on an iOS 7 device (it must be iOS 7, not iOS 6!). For most fake cables, this will immediately cause an on-screen message saying that the device is "not Apple certified and may not work reliably with your iPhone". If this message appears, the cable is fake and not a proper Belkin cable.

The real Belkin cable works fine and doesn't have any of the problems. Belkin were very helpful with this issue.

To avoid the problems I had, I would advice you only purchase from Belkin approved sellers such as Amazon direct (not marketplace sellers) to avoid any risk of buying a fake. However one or two marketplace sellers such as BESTBUYIT are actually approved Belkin resellers according to Belkin.

Be aware though the connector on the Belkin cable is slightly fatter than an Apple cable, so may not fit through all bumpers/cases.
review image
2020 Comments| 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2014
If you have a look at the product images you can see where the problem is! The whole connector broke off and got stuck inside my phone, Luckily I was able to remove the component. If this is a genuine belkin product I am shocked as for the price you don't expect it to last 3 days and come up on the phone as an "Unsupported Accessory". Will Not buy from Phone Geeks again and you shouldn't either! Will also think twice about buying Belkin Products! Just buy the Apple Official One
review image
on 28 June 2013
Nice quality cable, not at all flimsy like some others on offer. Charges my iPhone 5 fine and feels robust. I would highly recommend it.
on 9 April 2014
Lasted 2.5 - 3 weeks, till the 8pin lightning connection came away from it's socket. The cable was literally left permanently in my house, not robust usage at all, but then the connection started weakening after a while and I would plug in my iphone to charge, only to realise that it wasn't charging at all. A Broken pin connection with minimal usage - very poor quality cable. Waste of time.
on 17 December 2013
Bought direct from Amazon, a genuine Belkin Apple-approved cable so works a treat with the Retina iPad mini which plain refuses to charge using non-approved cables (the earlier iPad mini just complained and charged slowly with such cables under iOS7). Seems sturdier than the Apple leads and at a reasonable-ish price. If you need another lead for your iPad then look no further.
on 29 February 2016
I always buy the Belkin cables, because not only are they longer than the Apple ones (seriously Apple, why so short?) but they're much better quality, last longer and are a fraction of the price. I love the different colours too.
on 16 August 2017
For a premium priced cable this is rubbish. I bought it less than 6 months ago and it is already faulty. There is no exterior damage. I just went online to return it and it is only eligible for return for one month ... seriously?? I have bought cables for half the price of this that have a lifetime warranty as I assumed this one would.
on 30 June 2017
Used for less than 6 months and all the internal wiring has been exposed. Had to throw it away. I thought this was rather expensive for a charger but assumed it would be good quality. It is not. I would stick to cheaper ones that last a lot longer.
on 9 November 2014
This item is a fake. I only started using it recently and realised that it is not apple certified and has caused damaged to my phones battery. Unfortunately I was outside my return time frame and now stuck with this.
on 26 April 2017
Appears to be failing around the lightning connector after just a few uses