Customer reviews

River Cafe Cook Book Green
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 10 August 2015
Simple everyday recipes, focussing on getting the right ingredients to achieve the closest result to an Italian mama cooking at home.
Such good advice on selecting ingredients.....very, very useful!
on 8 October 2016
Worth the money nice clean book
on 12 May 2000
Rose Gray & Ruth Rogers have written the cookery book the beggars the question: Why didn't anyone else do it like this before?

They have reminded us what real, day-to-day cooking is all about: simple, fresh, seasonal food cooked with some imagination. The pictures are enticing without being showy and ridiculous, but most of all the recipes are delicious. You will find yourself reading this book like a novel rather than a reference work. None of the recipes are complicated; in fact even a beginner would be able to make most of the recipes in the book. Some of the ingredients may be a little difficult to get hold of if you live outside London.

I have a very large collection of recipe books, most of which end up gathering dust on my shelves. This book will have a lasting place in my kitchen, and will have the distinction of having more food stains and dog-eared pages than any other.
27 people found this helpful
on 4 March 2013
Good follow on from blue book if you have it, simple classic Italian ideas well worth the time and effort.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 November 2015
I recently pulled this off the shelves for the first time in ages. I cooked from it regularly when I first bought it but over the years it became replaced by newer books. Looking at it again I can't work out why it fell out of favour as there are so many fresh Italian recipes in this book, mostly very easy & often quick to prepare. The recipes are straightforward, calling for good ingredients, which are then prepared simply and allowed to speak for themselves.

It is a seasonally based book with recipes set out each month with what is in season. Taking as an example, March includes recipes for a chickpea pancake with artichoke, sprouting broccoli & farro soup, mint & lentil salad, spaghetti with ginger & tomatoes (I have to use an alternative to the cheese in the recipe as living out in the sticks salata cheese isn't available and I prefer less ginger but that is obviously partly down to personal taste) and a wondrous chocolate & ginger cake which I would eat any time of year except perhaps high summer!). June offers up pea & mint torte (the recipe specifies fresh peas but frankly frozen peas are likely to be fresher than 'fresh' peas bought in the shops so are a perfectly good alternative unless you have your own truly fresh summer supply), almond meringue with strawberries (fantastic summer dessert); red wine sorbet with crushed strawberries (the sorbet is another dish that is wonderful at any time of year). Taking October to represent the autumn, there are lots of recipes involving pumpkin & squash such as gnocchi alla zucca; an unusual pumpkin & cinnamon risotto; chestnut & celeriac soup; and a lovely pear, honey and polenta cake.

Other randomly picked old favourite recipes include baked buffalo mozzarella, raspberry & lemon sorbet & melon & lemon sorbet; cannellini bean & pasta soup; broad bean & pecorino tagliatelle; a couple of pasta dishes incorporating fresh asparagus (I am lucky to live close to a farm where I can get really fresh asparagus in season); gnocchi all romana with white truffles; a fabulous rosemary & borlotti bean risotto (I adapt it to make it vegetarian but it still tastes great without the chicken stock and pancetta).

Having languished at the back of the book shelves for far too long, I am enjoying renewing acquaintance with the recipes.
4 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2017
They are the very best
on 18 September 2017
Fantastic!
on 7 December 2012
I bought this because I'd seen it at a friend's. I have made several of the recipes and they worked well.
on 8 August 2001
If you, like me, adore Italian food and have, again like me, had access to and loved Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers previous books don't think that there is nothing further that they can add to their third Italian cookery 'bible'.
In 'River Cafe Green' (aptly named and you'll soon understand why), Rogers and Gray divide the book into 12 sections, one for each year. In each month there are sub-sections featuring whatever fruit and vegetables are best around that time and how you can use them to their full potential. Never have I found such pleasure in cooking as I have this year, not just because of the standard of food the duo enable you to produce, but also because of the enjoyment I have had in using home grown, seasonal ingredients.
Basics such as stocks, sauces, rich pasta, and crispy pizza dough are given as in the last two books but many of the dishes have very novel ideas and flavourings. Try the spaghetti with tomato and ginger and you'll see what I mean. The risotto recipes (particularly if you use homemade stock) will enable you to produce a rice dish worthy and often better than a lot of what you will get in a restaurant. The puddings are, as usual, wickedly wonderful. The recipe for cherry foccacia (an unusual variation for a summer pudding dish) is garaunteed to WOW your friends over a picnic lunch.
Having said this, some of the ingredients are slightly obscure and hard to access (unless you live in Italy or very near a good Italian delicatessen!!) but hunt around as if you can get hold of such treasures as aged balsamic vinegar, it is worth it, if expensive.
Verdict: a great follow up to the other books, and speaking for myself I hope they come up with a red, pink, purple, and orange book as well!
37 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2002
I have had this book for some time, and have to admit I have not cooked a single thing it covers. I think it is mainly due to the fact that almost every recipe calls for at least one ingredient that I am having great difficulty to get my hands on, unless I plan days ahead, and unfortunately I am not that type of person. That does not mean the book is not inspiring and appetising. In fact, the one thing it does for me the most is making me want to visit the restaurant!
The book focuses on vegetables and fruit, and each recipe is sectioned according to season of the year, the motivation being that fruit and veg is best when harvested in their own season. The idea is to promote a concern for how food is grown, with focus on organically grown produce, and with that, I would imagine, promote the concern about transport and year-around harvesting issues.
All recipies are Italian, covering soups, pasta, antipasti, salads, deserts, sauces, pizzas, drinks, and more. How about a chickpea pancake with rosemary or a bruschetta with puffball and field mushrooms with tomato and thyme for starter, Penne with asparagus carbonara or a focaccia stuffed with gorgonzola and marjoram? Melon marinated in valpolicella with vanilla or red wine sorbet with crushed strawberries? Or, mmm, Chocolate ginger cake?
The book has over 200 recipies, and if you have access to a good farmer's market where you can get things like a variety of cabbages and mushrooms, fresh herbs, artichokes, figs, and pumpkins, this book will come in handy. The pictures promise greatness without being overly fancy.
I think I will go make some rosemary bruschetta, or perhaps figs, buffalo mozzarella and basil...
15 people found this helpful