Customer reviews

Time Team: Series 15 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 4 December 2014
Love it!! Great DVD this has 4 discs inside so plenty to watch.Mick is in it but seemed distant and did not say a lot,he also was not in all the digs.I know he was unhappy in the later series with the way the programme was going and sadly he passed away 2013.

Carenza had her problems with her health,so perhaps that is why she isn't in the digs at all.She had a double mastectomy,and later the Doctor told her she didn't have cancer after all.Can you imagine how she felt and still feels.She was only 33 yrs old at the time.

Which one did I like the most....Probably the Irish dig looking for the O,Neils castle in Ulster.Poor Phil grappling with all that army mortar proof concrete,but he did at least find the castle walls.I think to be fair this should have been a 4 day dig and not 3,as you could sense they were nearly there when the 3 days were up, and I felt disappointed!!.

I also liked Codnor Castle in Derbyshire,especially the bit where one of the diggers.not in the main cast......... showed the team a wonderful Medieval solid gold coin that he had found in the bottom of the moat.As he handed it over you could visibly see him shaking with shock I would say.Apparently it was a very rare coin and was given to the local museum.

Phil looked the part on Shooters Hill.London when he was re-enacting the Home Guard in WW2,dressed out in full kit,except for his straggly long hair!!!They found a wonderful old wartime shelter in 2 rear gardens that they were convinced belonged to our secret service,such was the way the large rooms were wired up with all manner of buttons and phone contraptions,now not working of course.Too elaborate they said for just a family air raid shelter.

Anyway,this is a good buy and I think that there is probably something to suit all tastes in these 4 discs.Also the price isn't too high.I cannot understand the high prices on some of the time team digs dvd's,I am sure more people would buy them if the prices were more reasonable.I know I would!!

PS.Forgot to add there is no sub titles in this set,well it shows there is,you know English 1/1 in the top right hand corner.. but after pressing the button time and time again nothing came up!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 October 2015
I presume it is due to copyright issues that means only series fifteen onwards appear available on DVD. Series fifteen was broadcast in 2008. Here we have all thirteen episodes, comprising those at: 1. Codnor Castle, Derbyshire; 2. Binchester, Durham; 3. Barra, Outer Hebrides; 4. Towcester, Northamptonshire; 5. Coberley, Gloucestershire; 6. Shooters Hill, London; 7. Hunstrete, Somerset; 8. Knave Hill, Leicestershire; 9. Dungannon, Tyrone; 10. Padstow, Cornwall; 11. Hamsterley, Durham; 12. Wickenby, Lincolnshire; and 13. Portskewett, Gwent. Alas, there are no extras.

This series includes the first Time Team drawbridge, the first Time Team Roman mausoleum, the first Time Team prehistoric wheelhouse, and the first Anglo-Saxon hall after fifteen years’ of trying. We can celebrate these firsts, but unfortunately must still endure Francis Pryor (almost?) every time reaching the wrong conclusions early on day one only to be proved wrong at the end of day three.

The series is full of problems, both in its realism – the comical attempts to make spontaneity appear unrehearsed – and in its prevalent endeavour to make the speculative appear certain. For example, in the episode at Padstow, no one (not even the level-headed Stewart Ainsworth) seemed to mention the all-important differences in sea-level between the Dark Ages and today that would affect the conclusions supposedly reached.

But now that the series is no longer being made, we can appreciate through these DVDs what we have lost. Despite all the moans, it did provide a ray of sunshine in the scheduled, with some interesting digs and some entertaining events, as well of course as some (adopts Phil Harding accent) “cracking archaeology.”

Another benefit of these DVDs is that it allows me to concentrate more on the development of theories for each site, rather than watching them live on television when attention can be easily distracted. If only the episodes from series one to fourteen (and the Time Team Live and Time Team Specials) could also be released.
on 25 September 2013
To my knowledge this is only the second release of a complete Time Team season on Region 2, after the Tottiford And Other Digs DVD set (season 18) from last year. For anyone who is not able to watch TT on 4OD (Channel 4's on demand service), this is a welcome release. It contains all episodes from series 15, as transmitted by Channel 4 back in 2008, spread over 4 discs. As a reissue it's pretty spartan: no bonus features and worse, not even subtitles! Furthermore, while I always enjoyed Carenza Lewis's contributions, she already left Time Team by series 15, so it's a bit of mystery why she's featured on the cover. With some nice bonus material, subtitles and a decent cover, there is certainly room for improvement for the reissue of series 16, expected in December 2013.
on 31 August 2013
I've given this item 5 stars because the episodes are brilliant. The team is at its colourful best, as always, and each episode is fascinating to watch.

HOWEVER, the way it has been packaged makes it appear as a new season release, and it is not. This is, in fact, a re-release of the "Codnor Castle & Other Digs", with all the exact same episodes. So if, like me and my mother, you have all the available Time Team DVDs, be aware that this is not actually a new release at all.

On the bright side, if you have been contemplating shelling out a ridiculous amount of money for a second-hand copy of the Codnor Castle DVD set, you now have the opportunity to get those episodes on a brand new DVD at an affordable price!
on 14 October 2013
I am a Hungarian fan of the Time Team series and consider myself lucky enough to live now in a country (Switzerland) where I can watch UK channels. So, in the last 4 years I have been following the various episodes and series of Time Team on Channel 4 and More 4 and I simply love them. So, knowing the fact that Channel 4 has stopped the production and the airing of the show and also knowing the sad reality that Mr. Prof. Mick Aston died in June 2013, this DVD is a definite Must-Have for all fans of the TV show and also for fans of experimental archeology.
on 18 December 2015
Time team is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. I am in the 'love it camp'.....It's a great series with some friendly, fun loving banter between eccentric characters. It's a great way to learn history through the finds they make, artistic impressions, landscape interpretations and re-enactments. It was the best show ever to be produced on TV and channel 4 lost it.
on 12 November 2015
I loved this programme while I was growing up as a kid, shame that it was cut from TV after being so successful. Just hope one day the whole 20 series can be bought on DVD as it will be odd only having the last five on the shelf.
on 31 December 2014
Obtaining Time Team isn't the only reason I bought a region-free DVD player, but it was one of the items I wanted most; it isn't available in the US except for the "Best of" and Roman compilation sets. I'm delighted to have these series at last and want more of the earlier ones.
on 8 March 2017
Usual good quality but have to say Series 16 and 17 better in my view.
on 19 July 2017
Very informative my favourite program