Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now

on 4 October 2013
I've been a fan of John Connolly since the first Charlie Parker novel "Every Dead Thing" was published, thus the big kid in me was attracted by the Samuel Johnson series. I thoroughly enjoyed "The Creeps". All the lovable characters, including Dan's Dwarfs were back (Nurd being my personal favorite), but, as the title suggests, there were some creeps too. My inner child loved it.
on 29 October 2016
Samuel Johnson thought he was destined to live his happy ever after. He has his best friend (faithful dog Boswell), one of the prettiest girls in town (who is actually a spoilt brat) and his mum has allowed his two (demon) friends to live with him, he’s even been asked to open a brand new toy shop that is opening in town (the price of fame). Yet there is a lot that isn’t quite right in the quiet town of Biddlecombe, and the question is can Samuel and Boswell save the town (and the girl Samuel really loves) before disaster strikes.

Okay, so I have a confession to make, I didn’t actually read the back of this book before I bought it. I have read a fair few of John Connolly’s other books and had assumed this would just be the same as those. How wrong I was! For a starter, this is a book in part of a series (whoops) and secondly this book is like no other book I have ever read. It is a laugh-out-loud comic genius. Incredibly stupid in many places, yet surprisingly sophisticated and sarcastic in others. Ridiculous to the point you will question your own madness while reading yet something keeps you turning those pages over and over.

So what is it that keeps you reading? The characters, well… Samuel who is the star of this book is boring and plain, in fact, his dog Boswell is far more interesting. Yet, in this book you need that character to keep sane, especially with friendly (and evil) demons to contend with and of course the dwarves (also known as S.O.D.S. Stars of Diminished Stature) all stealing the comedy show.

This clever novel combines dark humour, sadistic storyline and mind-boggling madness so intriguingly well, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I was thinking what this book is similar too and of course having not yet read the first two books in the series, can’t suggest those (although I will now be going back to read those). However, it does have a few similarities with Neil Gaiman’s fantastic novel “The Graveyard”, perhaps slightly more adult but that similar dark comedy vein running through both.

Please leave a helpful vote if you think my review/feedback of the item was helpful to you. Alternatively, please contact me if you want me to clarify something in my review.
on 23 May 2014
The last of the Samuel Johnson novels written by the author of the Charlie Parker mysteries and meant for young adults (and children of all ages), his hometown, the little English village of Biddlecombe, is once again besieged by the forces of evil. This time, however, the setting is a new toy store designed to entrap Samuel, his dog, Boswell, and the demons and policemen who accompanied Samuel to hell in the previous book of the trilogy, “Lost Things,” and back to earth, saving it from the forces of the Great Malevolence.

The newly opened toy store is really the stage established by Ba’al, whose body contains the heart of Mrs. Abernathy, whose hatred of Samuel is unbounded, seeking revenge for his actions in the previous entry. An invitation is sent to Samuel and the two demons as special guests for the opening of the toy store, and Samuel accepts, only to encounter all kinds of dangers as the toys become “alive” and battles occur floor to floor.

As in the previous two entries, the well-written fairy tale is filled with amusing footnotes, historical references and asides. The trilogy is an interesting exercise by a talented writer, but I miss Charlie Parker. Can’t wait till he comes back. That fact notwithstanding, “The Creeps” is recommended.
on 22 June 2015
Creepy and hilarious. An unusual mix but a very successful one. I recommend this particularly for young adults - NOT for very young

children. The footnotes vary between being very lucidly informative and very funny. Thanks for the prompt delivery.
on 20 November 2013
Fun to read and followed the first two books. Going to pass on to my teenage son as it's aimed at his age group.
on 10 January 2014
I should begin by saying that I gather this series is aimed at young adults (AKA teenagers) and I'm 62. I bought The Gates as a Daily Deal and loved it and was delighted to discover it was a trilogy. I didn't like Hell's Bells quite as much owing to the violence (my husband says I'm a wimp and it wasn't violent.) This one though was a struggle to get through. Virtually nothing happened for the first 40% and the new characters we met were rather one dimensional. Samuel's relationship with Lucy grated on me, largely because it reminded me of what a fool I was in the 1960s!
I would have liked a better end for Ba'al, especially when I found out what she had done for the Grand Malevolence.
The end of the book is rather charming, although I doubt many teenage boys would agree with me.
on 29 October 2013
You'll laugh out loud throughout this book. A great story that will keep you turning the page's. Samuel is a great character and so are his demon pals.
on 4 April 2016
Part 3, If you have read the previous 2 books no explanation is needed as to it's nature and storyline. If not, read book 1, as otherwise it will make no sense whatsoever.
on 14 June 2015
The Creeps arrived as stated within the 5 days delivery. As usual the quality of the book was 1st class this being what we have come to expect of Amazon. Well done !
on 21 June 2016
Excellent for children and adults as an introduction to John Connolly's work, in preparation to reading the Charlie Parker books.......of which I have them all.