on 3 December 2017
This is the 4K stream of the restored version of the original film made in 1968. I have never been a great fan of Streisand so, despite her Oscar winning performance, I am not tempted to give a higher rating.

What I am particularly impressed by is the quality of this restoration. The film received several 'best cinematography' nominations after its release. This restoration shows why it was given so many nominations for its cinematography. The lighting is absolutely spot on throughout. Lighting is what reveals the modeling of Ms Streisand's face and the detail in the dresses. This 4K stream provides the image quality that allows us to see all the detail on our TVs. Even the white-on-white detail of the lace on the wedding dresses in the bride production number is clearly visible. This is detail that it is all too easy to lose through the smallest of errors in exposure or processing of the negative.

This brings me on to the quality of the colour rendering. According to the IMDb website, 'Funny Girl' was shot on 35mm negative film stock using the Technicolor process. By this time Technicolor used a single 'tripack' film. This made for simplicity of printing but at the cost of the using dyes that can fade over time. However, this restoration has the vibrancy of a print produced from a set of three strand, Technicolor negatives. The colours are stunning with no apparent signs of distortion or fading. Neutral colours (blacks, whites and greys) hold true with no hint of any hue. The greys are rendered cleanly while skin tones are very impressive. Watch out for the detail in solid colour areas like the red wallpaper and the blues of Ms Streisand's dress.

Technically this 4K restoration is very impressive. It shows us what we should be expecting in films and programs made using the 4K standard.
on 16 May 2016
Firstly I dislike how the DVD has been formatted as if for a theater/cinema audience with the long overture then an interval all on a blank screen which I couldn't skip. Unnecessary I think.
It was also tricky navigating and not user friendly.
Still, it is nice to have the great value DVD to compliment the original cast vinyl recording that I have.
Having seen the show when it opened in the '60's it was good to see Streisand in Funny Girl again after so many years.
I had also seen the original movie years ago and it reminded me how much they partly ruined the theatre version upon transferring it to film.
Some new scenes are great but I hate the new ballet scene inserted at the time and it is also a shame that 2 numbers were dropped from the original theatre production.
On balance a good enough buy at the price.
on 26 February 2016
Having showed Funny giril in 1968 in 70mm 6 track magnectic sound at the columbia theatre shaftsbury avenue i can say that the picture at 1080p
looks great the DTS HD MASTER 5,0 sounds very good but could do with subwoffer
the audio track was taken from the original 6 track mag remixed 5,0 its good to have the orginal play in intermission title playin the music at the end
is the play out in all a exelent 4k restoration
on 14 March 2018
Excellent high definition transfer that sparkles with detail. The audio is clear, and well steered for modern home cinema setups.
on 30 April 2017
A classic musical. Beutifully restored on Bluray.
on 15 January 2016
Streisand at her finest. She does comedy and pathos with equal brilliance and can belt out a tune better than anyone. Unless you have a heart of stone the closing number, "Oh my man I love him so" will have you reaching for the tissues.
on 14 April 2018
I like anything with Barbara Streisland
on 16 January 2016
Waited 3 weeks for delivery. Then it wouldn't play on 3 different sources, DVD player, PlayStation or Laptop. It cost nearly as much
to send it back as I didn't realise it was coming from Canada!
on 13 February 2015
Brilliant, gorgeous and beautiful film. Barbara is magnificent and her voice is just the best. I'd recommend this to any lover of musicals.
on 12 February 2016
A quality Blu-ray DVD. Could to watch it over and over again. Very appropriate to watch before a live musical show is due to start down in London shortly.