on 18 July 2014
It's not bad ….and I say that because it's certainly better than I expected! Nice production, crystal clear sounds, and some good tweaks to the original arrangements that make this really interesting.

The album is certainly one for music, or Floyd, aficionados though. If you look at the contributors, they're all big hitters for those aficionados. But for your Average Joe in the street, they're unlikely to have heard of many, or even any, of them. The sleeve helpfully tells us that Rick Wakeman was in Yes, Keith Emerson in ELP, and Ian Anderson in Jethro Tull etc. But crediting Alan White with being in John Lennon (who I'm sure thought of himself as an individual) is stretching it a bit. Especially as he played with him some 40 years ago. It's like reminding us that someone with a bit-part in our local pantomime used to have a bit-part in Z Cars. Is that the best they could come up with to showcase the mans achievements over the last near-half-century?

CD 1 (Dark Side) is pretty descent, but I think CD 2 (mainly The Wall) really excels. A great listen.

Whatever you do, don't buy this for the sleeve notes though. They're brief, and immensely irritating. Marcello Montolivo, who wrote them (and probably also appeared in a few episodes of The Bill as well as Z Cars) even states "Who is Clare Torry? We found out that not only is she white and English, but she also interprets magnificent songs…." Well I never. I don't suppose Ms Torry's ethnicity or nationality have ever been a secret, and I suspect too have been perfectly well known to anyone who knows Ms Torry, or likes her music. For Montolivo, this seems to have been a big discovery, although quite what the point is in sharing it escapes me.

As for the interview at the end of CD3, it makes me want to scream. Norman "Hurricane" Smith talks to an uncredited interviewer. Probably someone who once had a bit-part interviewing for bit-part actors on The Bill and Z Cars. The first question is "Why did you leave", and then follows it up immediately with "I know why you left". So not a question. And left what anyway? I recognise that conversation between two people is often muddled, but this is an interview, and we surely don't need this muddle published on a CD. The interviewer then prattles for a bit, with no revised question. Did the interviewer not even have half a plan before his big day? Smith fortunately interjects and tells us about some stuff we might want to hear. Having this mess at the end of an otherwise descent 3 CD set is a shame. Fortunately we can always hit the off switch at this point.

Anyway, despite it's shortfalls, this is still worth getting. 3 CDs, magnificent tunes, and interesting interpretations for under a tenner can't be bad.
on 1 June 2014
First 2 Cd's have a lot of top musicians covering Pink Floyd tracks first the Dark Side of the Moon and then tracks from The Wall. Its a nice change. 3rd album which has tracks from People associated with Floyd I'm not so sure of though glad I now have Snowy Whites 'Birds of Paradise' in my collection. Price for 3 cds a bargain. I really will cherish 2 of them.
on 8 October 2013
Tend to agree with an earlier reviewer ~ an interesting compilation the tracks of which can be found on other albums ~ but that said nicely put together here at an excellent price over 3 CD's.
I am a fan of the performing artists so I fancied it from that point also. Pretty good interpretations of well known Floyd tracks, some I would have liked to see are missing but pretty good. The 3rd CD is a neat one ~ not all the tracks are interpretations of Floyd tracks but feature artists who have performed, recorded or been involved with Floyd members (Snowy White, Hurricane Smith etc) and a great addition one track from Pink Anderson and one from Floyd Council ~ the artists from whom the band "pinched" their name.
Final comment ~ love the album artwork too ~ would have looked good on "A Foot In The Door"
on 29 January 2015
This one is really quite good, competent rock band performances (not symphony orchestras, string quartets or whatever) of Darkside and the Wall with other tracks, and some more remotely connected stuff... with an interview on the end. Sensibly re performed rather than attempting to clone the music you already know... I have Another Brick in the Wall playing as I type and it is refreshing not to hear 'that single' again! You probably will play all three discs more than just once.
on 3 February 2016
The sound engineering is not great but that has to be expected based on the price for 3 CD's. It is a shame, however, because the music is not bad at all. Certainly worth owning for the given price by all Pink Floyd fans, just too bad about the quality of the recording. Anyone who has a Japanese issue of any PF album will know what I mean. As for CD 3, the only artist worth mentioning is the amazing Snowy White. You really should have some of his albums, they are great. Nice to also hear something from Pink Andersen and the Floyd Council on the third CD, but that is about it.
on 4 September 2015
very impressed with this take on of this iconic bands music. Most of the musicians on these discs are top notch and put there own slant on the tracks they play.The third disc is a bit left field for me, as it is just a piece of indulgence to put obscure relevance to knowing the band, other than that, all in all a very good album.
on 15 January 2015
Being a big fan of Pink Floyd I'm always tempted by anything PF. Sometimes it's worth the gamble and this is one of those times. These Pink Floyd songs are performed by various people/groups and on the whole they make a good job. Always an enjoyable listen, this sits comfortably with my PF collection as a tribute album. Also to consider if you ever see it is 'Shine' which is another good tribute album enjoyable in its own right. Recommended.
When On Spotify I entered Pink Floyd quite a few of these tracks came up.
I was about to reject them when I read just who was actually performing the tracks.
I was amazed that top of the range- respected artists were included.
Upon giving them a listen I was sold and soon tracked down and bought the Pink Box.

I think if you too are brave and follow my lead by possibly trying out Spotify you will be convinced that this is totally excellent music. Whilst they never ECLIPSE the originals if you will pardon my intended pun?
They are a remarkably satisfying set of great songs. And the Pink Floyd were really that good.
The rota of artists run into the high 40s and if you reckon on having at least of 3 really good musicians playing and singing on each track on each track you will get an idea of how vast the roster is.
Each track has very well know musicians and each and every one is well known... well well know to quite a few people. (I accept that some artists will not be quite so accepted- I must admit a couple did not 'sell' them selves to me.
But and this is a big BUT Most are really great musicians and its a wonderful exercise to listen to a track whilst reading who the heck is on it.
Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford Tony Levin and a couple more King Crimsons step up to the Mic and drums and base and organ..
There are loads more like Keith Emerson, Edgar Winter, Dweezle Zappa and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all
Ok I lie about the last two.

But if you think you won't like Pink Floyd's music played by anyone else than Pink Floyd then consider Roger Water's excellent live Cds and Dave Gilmour's Live in Gdansk. Neither are full Pink Floyd but sound great.
Need I mention Roy Harper on 'Have A Cigar'?

Back to the albums.
What really shines (On) through is their love and appreciation of the music of Pink Floyd.
This is a triple CD done with reverence, respect and panache.

The third CD is full of tracks by artists associated with Pink Floyd along with two tracks by Pink Anderson and Floyd Council the two artists who gave Pink Floyd their name.

Now what I suggest you do is try Spotify, tap in Pink Floyd and listen to some of these wonderful tacks and I suspect like me you will be really amazed at just how good they really are.
Well worth the money and effort at getting the things.

the track listing is NOT included at the time of writing so here it is.

Tracks CD 1: THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON REVISITED
1 SPEAK TO ME / BREATHE - ADRIAN BELEW (KING CRIMSON) & ALAN WHITE (YES)
2 ON THE RUN - LARRY FAST (PETER GABRIEL) & ALAN WHITE (YES)
3 TIME - ROBBIE KRIEGER (THE DOORS) & GARRY GREEN (GENTLE GIANT)
4 THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY - RICK WAKEMAN (YES) & STEVE HOWE (YES)
5 MONEY - EDGAR WINTER, BILL BRUFORD (KING CRIMSON) & TONY LEVIN (KING CRIMSON)
6 US AND THEM - DWEEZIL ZAPPA & JOHN WETTON (KING CRIMSON)
7 ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE - ROBBEN FORD, STEVE PORCARO (TOTO) & AYNSLEY DUNBAR (FRANK ZAPPA)
8 BRAIN DAMAGE - GEOFF DOWNES (ASIA) & ROBBIE KRIEGER (THE DOORS)
9 ECLIPSE - PETER BANKS (YES), TONY KAYE (YES) & JOHN WETTON (ASIA)
Tracks CD2: THE WALL AND OTHER CLASSICS
1 IN THE FLESH? - ADRIAN BELEW (KING CRIMSON) & KEITH EMERSON (ELP)
2 THE THIN ICE - IAN ANDERSON (JETHRO TULL)
3 ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (PART1) - STEVE MORSE (DEEP PURPLE)
4 ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL (PART2) - FEE WAYBILL (THE TUBES)
5 MOTHER - JOHN WETTON (KING CRIMSON / ASIA)
6 GOODBYE BLUE SKY - STEVE HOWE (YES)
7 YOUNG LUST - GLENN HUGHES (DEEP PURPLE) & ELLIOT EASTON (THE CARS)
8 HEY YOU - TOMMY SHAW(STYX) & STEVE LUKATER (TOTO)
9 COMFORTABLE NUMB - CHRIS AQUIRE (YES) & ALAN WHITE (YES / JOHN LENNON)
10 RUN LIKE HELL - DWEEZIL ZAPPA & KEITH EMERSON (ELP)
11 SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND - STEVE LUKATER (TOTO9
12 WELCOME TO THE MACHINE - DEREK SHERINIAN (DREAM THEATER)
13 SET THE CONTROLS TO THE HEART OF THE SUN - PSYCHIC TV
14 CAREFUL WITH THAT AXE, EUGENE - NIK TURNER (HAWKWIND)
Tracks CD 3: ROOTS, VERSIONS AND RELATIVES
12 THE BOLL WEEVIL - PINK ANDERSON
13 RUNAWAY MAN BLUES - FLOYD COUNCIL
14 PINK FLOYD INTERVIEW - NORMAN `HURRICANE` SMITH
on 9 December 2014
Great first 2 CD's. The best I can say about 3rd CD is should have left the compilation at 2 CD's.
Most of 3rd CD were non Floyd tracks by people who had some vague affiliation with Floyd. I'll never play this CD again.
on 30 September 2013
Tribute album gives the wrong impression. Check out some of the musicians featured on this album. Many ' top of the tree ' musicians of their time and some involved with Pink Floyd at some time or other. Even though I'm a great fan of Pink Floyd this really is an album worth buying.