TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 July 2016
This is a very large book - and the font size is very tiny - because there's a lot in it! It presents the "complete Sherlock Holmes" adventures, written by Arthur Conan Doyle. Given that you can purchase this book - in hardback - for under £1 (secondhand) I have to highly recommend it! I paid £7 for a new copy, and was pleased with the quality.

It's not quite 'complete' (as a new short story has been discovered since this volume was published). And it's certainly not a 'deluxe' edition ... if you're after something more aesthetically attractive, I would recommend Sherlock Holmes 6-Book Boxed Set: Containing: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles & The ... & The Sign of the Four (Collector's Library).

Notwithstanding the limitations of this volume, it's a good quality book - with all the classic Holmes adventures in it. If you're after a reasonably priced edition, this is a good product.
on 3 December 2017
For many years I worked as a Psychiatric Nurse in jails and prisons round Britain. I actually always tried in my own small way to emulate the great detective when interviewing inmates and prisoners in prisons and police custody. I always admired the timeless mystique of the Sherlock Holmes stories. To this day they have never been betterred and they have been endlessly copied the world over. The Britsh Home Office actually has a computer called HOLMES (HOME OFFICE LARGE MAJOR ENQUIRY SYSTEM)
Every pair of detectives from Starsky and Hutch to any other is based on good old Holmes and Watson.

Holmes was even a match for his creator. When Doyle had him killed by Professor Moriaty there was a public outcry and questions in Parliament. The next book Doyle wrote was called. 'The Return of Shelock Holmes.'

You don't have to be a detective to guess what that was about.

on 24 July 2017
This has been my first foray into Kindle and, as a blind person, I have now installed the NVDA speech which is a free app which allows blind people to have kindle books read for them. You can go straight to the contents page or anywhere in the book, even just read a short story or full-length novel if you wish. So, two days ago, having installed NVDA, I went straight to the beginning of A Study In Scarlet, pressed the insert and down arrow keys on my PC and the book began to read. . As a die hard Sherlockian, I have two complete Sherlock Holmes books in Audio and all of the Derek Jacobi set which is excellent. This certainly won't be my last kindle book and kindle will help me in future to have access to books which are not available in Audible or another library I use. I have the Windows kindle app now on my computer and as soon as I click on the app and find the book I want, NVDA will read it for me. Looking forward to many more kindle books and I must, at some stage, get the Harry Potter and Narnia complete series, even though I've got the audio copies.
on 8 March 2017
Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories are widely regarded as some of the finest ever written - and rightly so in my opinion. They're well-crafted, and wonderfully evocative of the late Victorian period with a unique protagonist who needs no introduction.

The fine choice of narrator makes this audiobook a very enjoyable listen - I especially like to listen late at night to help me relax before drifting off to sleep.

The one slight drawback with audiobooks in general is that if you miss a few words or sentences, or want to listen again to a specific passage, you have to go back to the beginning of the chapter / file; you can't just go back a few seconds. Of course, if you're reading the stories in a book, you can read a sentence as many times as you want to and indeed, I bought the paperback edition of the stories as well to compliment the audiobook. This is an equally good buy (it cost me just £5 for 1400+ pages in paperback).
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 March 2018
Purchased as a birthday present for a close friend who loves detective stories. Sherlock Holmes is, without doubt, the basis for all detective stores be they on radio, TV or digital media. I would dearly have loved to buy this volume for myself but they are expensive. This volume will last a lifetime. It may even become an appreciating asset and increase in value over time. A beautifully bound leather jacket with gold edging to all the pages. A 'must' for all Conan Doyle lovers.
on 8 January 2014
I thought I should add a few words expressing my delight at the quality of performance and production values as captured in this production; the collection is not cheap but if you can afford it I urge you to purchase this set, it is excellent value and will reward repeat playing over the years.
As an aside, it is worth noting that the price can fluctuate if you hang back before purchasing - I did just that and managed to get this on Amazon on Christmas Day at the sale price of £131 pounds - who says there is no Santa?

I thought I should add some 'minor' irritations I am noticing as I delve further into this collection; I have noticed that in deference to our transatlantic 'cousins' and in a outrageous attempt to make this set more palatable to an American audience you have to accept language 'bastardisations' such as 'blocks' and not London 'streets', Holmes and Watson drink Coffee and not Tea which is palpably absurd and regular reference to 'gems' instead of Jewels - as I say minor irritations perhaps in what is still a first rate set but still annoying nevertheless.....
on 3 August 2014
Sherlock Holmes is one of the great characters of literature - who can resist the aloof arrogance and limitless self-satisfaction which stems from that intellectual superiority with which he squishes all the dodgy baronets and rum foreign coves that turn up in the mysteries presented to him by the clients who never fail, when recounting their tangled tales, to speak in perfect paragraphs full of precisely recollected speech in a style exactly like a Conan Doyle story? I love the love story between Holmes and Watson - they may or may not be closet cases, but yes it is rather interesting how in "The Man with the Twisted Lip" when Watson stumbles over Holmes in disguise in an opium den from where Watson is retrieving the erring husband of his wife's friend late one night, without a second thought, Watson packs the stoned husband into a cabriolet and sends him home whilst he goes off with Sherlock to spend the night – never mind what a fretting wife will be thinking! Watson is of course the Boswell to Sherlock's equally-eccentric Dr Johnson and just as the great doctor got rather aggravated at Bozzy at times and swatted him like a fly, so we get this rather grim pronouncement from Sherlock - they are discussing the accounts Watson writes and publishes of Sherlock's cases, the very accounts we have been reading in this book, yes, rather postmodern of Conan Doyle.
on 9 November 2017
Well, I must admit that I acquired this book with the intention of learning of some of the locations in London that Sherlock Holmes attended. However, there were not many mentioned in the book and most that were were imaginary.
However, the archaic language and simplicity of writing, to the modern reader, was interesting.
Overall, I enjoyed reading this classic and would recommend it for those who seek a feel for 19th century society.
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This CD is the unabridged audio reading by Sir Derek Jacobi of "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes."

Jacobi is a master at this type of genre and he quite simply performs a marvellous job at reading all twelve stories which sequentially span ten discs.

The compelling and fascinating tales from the pen of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are classic stories which still hold their appeal today, and Jacobi skilfully manoeuvres his way through all the main characters and does not require any subtle orchestration or sound effects to capture the imagination and create excitement.

The stories which are undoubtedly well known to Sherlock Holmes fans are; A Scandal in Bohemia, The Red Headed League, A Case of Identity, The Boscombe Valley Mystery, The Five orange Pips, The Man with the Twisted Lip, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, The Adventure of the Engineers Thumb, The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor, The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet and The Adventure of the Copper Beeches.

It is a high quality BBC Audio production. The attractions of the CD, besides the superb story-telling, is it's versatility in terms of listening locations whether in the car, on an MP3 player, or in your favourite armchair.

It will hold your attention from the first minute to the last and is highly recommended.
on 8 February 2012
What's not to like about Sherlock Holmes? Yes his manner is brusque and as Watson himself remarks not without egotism, but he solves mysteries before he even sees where they took place and is willing to overlook the letter of the law if matters can be set to rights in a gentler manner.

With every mystery, you try yourself to deduce the answer, and you might even come close, but quite often you're as baffled as Watson at how Holmes connects the dots. Of course it always helps, in crime fiction, that the writer already knows the answer before he starts writing the story of getting there.

The twist with Conan Doyle's stories is that you are guided quite strongly in one direction, feeling quite smug that you also know better than the bumbling police officers who only care about making an arrest, and your instincts may be right, but the exact solution is never quite what you first thought.

Some are a little more clear-cut than others but written in such a way that you fall into the pattern of the collection and quite happily go along with it.

It's little wonder that Sherlock Holmes is as popular a sleuth today as ever, and is still the inspiration of Hollywood and the small screen alike. There are few current characters that have quite the whimsical charm of Holmes; the eccentric genius with a great depth of character that we never quite see but know is there. After all, when you eliminate the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth.