TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2015
"He wondered if Alec was aware that Magnus was three hundred years old and whether Alec was considering just how impotent one might become after that much time."

This tenth novella in the bane chronicles collection is another look into the relationship building between Alec Lightwood and Magnus. I loved them in the main series; their secret, whirlwind relationship keeps me hooked and I'm ashamed to admit I'm probably more invested in them than I am in the rest of the main characters which I doubt was Cassandra Clare's intention.

Magnus is usual such a cool cat, no pun intended, and to some extent Alec is pretty stoic and almost dull hiding in the shadows of the other shadow hunters. For that reason it was so refreshing to see Magnus uncomfortable and losing his cool on his first date with Alec - I loved every minute of it.

These two characters couldn't be more different but their terrible, and I mean catastrophically terrible, first date was the best worst first date I've ever read. It genuinely had be in stitches the whole way through.

For those of you who love the MALEC romance, you'll love this first date novella. Additionally, for fans of the series or just of Magnus and his novellas, we were led to be believe this was the final novella of this collection but fear not, there is another flamboyant instalment for is involving the voicemails of Magnus Bane. Keep your eyes peeled!
on 20 March 2014
A great short story about Alec and Magnus's first date, complete with misunderstandings, comedy of errors, a bit of action, plenty of romance, and a little poignancy at the end (although we won't know how poignant until the last of the Mortal Instruments series comes out in May!).

Magnus's character is always entertaining and vivid, with his strange mixture of agelessness and humour. But it was great to see inside Alec's head in way we don't get to in the Mortal Instruments. It's all too easy to see what Magnus saw in him ;)

This short story is written in a simpler style than the main series, and is a very quick read.
One person found this helpful
on 27 August 2014
I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare and her Mortal Instruments series, so to read about my two favourite characters Alec and Magnus on their first date... I had to buy this! It's very sweet and funny at times (Alec being called a ninja). The writer Sarah did a great job, I think, getting both Alec's and Magnus' feelings across even with it being in Magnus' p.o.v. was lovely to read. This is the first Bane chronicle book I have read, and won't be the last. I have already pre-ordered the hardback version and looking forward to having them all together. I would recommend this to all Malec fans as it's such a great insight into both Magnus and Alec.
on 1 December 2017
Love hearing about Magnus's adventures
on 8 June 2014
I have on thing to say: BUY THIS!!! Buy this as if you life depends upon it!!! It is one of the best things I have EVER read! And I have read a lot! I LOVE MAGNUS!!! I LOVE ALEC!!! I LOVE MALEC!!! This is brilliant, funny, sweet and I didn't want it to end! And I think that says it all.
on 18 March 2014
Well worth the wait. Funny and lovely at the same time. I am so besotted with Magnus & Alec - what a pity there's no more, except of course for the last Mortal Instruments - May can't come soon enough!
on 26 November 2016
great book
on 18 May 2015
Wish they were longer as I love seeing the world through the eyes of Magnus
on 16 November 2014
Very Short and cost too much for what it was. I still like the story telling though.
on 27 May 2014
I'm loving the Bane stories - they are funny and different but i just wish they were full length books rather than short stories.