Format: DVD|Change

on 2 October 2013
Even if you never get to visit the gardens shown on this DVD, you will feel as if you have been there with the best possible companion. The three episodes are organised interestingly into Gardens of Power, the Potager, and Artists' Gardens. While this last is my favourite, all episodes are engaging, entertaining, informative and memorable. I enjoyed Monty Don's "Italian Gardens", and this is even better; a bit more personal, and evidence of Don's love of France. If there was a 6-star rating, I'd give it to this DVD.
on 10 October 2016
I live in France, so there is a special pleasure for me in this DVD. So full of insight, Monty Don speaks pretty good French too. I want a house and garden like the potagers he shows us in les Cevennes. I always wondered why the French are so into espalliered fruit trees, pollarding, clipped box hedges in geometric designs..... watch the DVD and all will be explained. It adds much to my enjoyment of living in France, now I know the whys and wherefores of French gardening through the ages.
on 4 April 2014
I highly recommend this DVD to anyone interested in gardening. Monty Don tells us so much about the history and reasons for these gardens and I can watch it over and over again and really hope that others enjoy it equally! Then, of course, there is the connected book, which is even more in-depth, with far more very useful facts about the visited gardens. I have borrowed it from my local library, sorry Amazon, so I have read it and can truly recommend it very much as well!
on 2 May 2014
Anyone who loves gardening and the countryside will enjoy this DVD. Included were the most beautifully landscaped gardens that France is famous for, as well as peasant gardening, and the French countryside seen as Monty travelled to the various places. In this sense, I enjoyed the travel nature of the documentary. It was also good to see the markets and pavement cafés - typical French culture!
on 9 September 2013
We enjoyed the programme when we caught some of it on TV, and vowed to get the DVD when it came out. Monty Don has a very engaging manner and and his tour of France brought back happy memories of our own visits there over the years. We have been to several of the gardens in the programme and enjoyed them.
One of the things we like is the way the French do things slightly differently.
on 1 January 2014
In typical Monty Don entertaining style, Monty shows us the art of French gardening of the past and present. Beautifully filmed.
on 24 December 2015
Monty is absolutely one of the most genuine garden presenters ever. My wife and I have visited many of the gardens he tours and can feel his enthusiasm match ours. A true kindred spirit. In additions he finds perfect gardens to add to the narrative that are absolutely beautiful and relevant. Thank you Monty!

Robert and Mary
on 7 November 2014
I had already watched the programmes twice. These are three beautifully presented programmes, with interesting local interviews and I love Monty Don's presentations, which are enthusiastic and knowledgable without the standard documentary frenetic hand gestures.. I live in a small village in France and cheat with a BBC satellite and VPN connection. I wanted to show this series to my French neighbour who speaks no English but is also a keen gardener, I was so disappointed to find that the DVD has no language or subtitles option. It seems sad that the BBC, having used France and it's people to base a successful Brit series, hav'nt seen fit to make the DVD accessible in other languages - at least to the host country,(unless it is available in French and I don't know about it) Not least from the marketing aspect. Did they make a special version available for the French speakers they interviewed?. If so, I would like this version to rate a 5 star.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2013
This was an amazing journey into famous and non famous gardens ,the decorative and the functional approach to planting.Monty understands the French way and his knowledge of 'the garden 'wheather it be formal or informal is very impressive .'
This is a very entertaining and informative DVD
on 11 January 2014
Monty looks at French gardens from a range of perspectives in the 3 episodes. He has chosen the well known and the unknown to illustrate his stories, all presented with his trademark boyish enthusiasm.

Very enjoyable series that I wish could have has a few more episodes.