on 26 January 2014
Im writing this mainly for the influx of people who will be buying this as it's now free. A lot of you seem to think this is the only comic, having only watched the TV show (complaining how short it is etc) but there are now well over a hundred issues and they only get better from here. Over time the story develops into something much darker and (in my opinion) better than the TV series and I would well recommend a read even for people who don't normally read comics (this is the only comic series I've ever thoroughly read.) The art is also amazing.
Having watched the last episode in the new series on the television, I was getting major withdrawal symptoms at having to wait another six months before the next new series. So, it hit me that I should give the books/comics a go in the meantime.

I was a bit dubious as I have a kindle paperwhite and had no idea if a comic style book would be any good on it and even more worryingly, am I to old for comics?

I didn't have to worry though. This is one set of comic books that definitely is for adults only. I loved comics as a child and it took me no time to get back into them. Obviously having watched the series first, there is going to be a lot of differences in the comics that the show is based on. To be fair though this issue is very similar though obviously a lot shorter with it being a comic.

Highly enjoyable though and can't wait to read more.
on 12 April 2014
Okay, I need to make two confessions here.

1 - I have never read a comic like this in my life, the last comic I read was the Beano a long time ago

2 - I only bought it (well it is actually free on that booksite, you know the one) as I love the TV series

Right now I have that out the way, I read this on my Kindle Fire HD and it looked awesome, I had the option to read it as a page or the option for it to go from cell to cell.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it just flowed amazingly, the illustrations brought the characters to life, the zombies looked totally freaky and Rick looked just like I remembered him from the beginning of the tv series before he went totally badass.

Now as I have no prior experience of this sort of thing I will say, if you loved the show, then read it, you know the old saying about the book being better than the film/tv show, well we know how amazing the tv show is, think how good this is going to be!

Awarded 4 out of 5
on 8 May 2016
I did read this after watching the TV show therefore it is difficult not to compare whilst reading the comic. I found it an easy short read and I can see how this initial instalment is setting the platform for the Rick Grimes character. I've never tried reading a comic before this one as I tend to find the graphics and writing are too 'busy.' The graphics on this comic are very good and clear. I will definitely be having a read of the rest of the comics in this series (I have a bit of catching up to do! :-))
I read this comic on the kindle app on my laptop - it worked well, I had to use my laptop instead of my mobile due to the size of the file.
on 27 February 2014
I decided to revisit this series, having been a long term fan of both the comic and the show, this free taster is an absolute treat. Kirkman's story is still just as strong as it was way back in 2003. Rick is one of the ultimate good guys and this series sees him put through the complete turmoil of a society at the end of the line. Poignant and funny, and in a stark black and white that is particularly ironic given the moral ambiguity the characters find themselves in. This really is one of the best comic series ever.
Read it now. Not later. Don't just download it save it. Download it now and read it now. Right now.
on 22 May 2016
Let me start by saying, while I'm aware of the TV series that's on-going right now, I have not watched any episode of The Walking Dead. I purchased this from Amazon's Kindle Books store while browsing through the free bestsellers lists.

I had read a few comics as a schoolboy but that was it. Since it was free, I thought hey, why not. Before reading, I decided if starting with the comics would be any detriment if I decided to watch the TV show after. Opinions online generally state that both have their strengths and would not deter from the experience.

As someone who's not a fan or gore, and zombie-related film/fiction, I was surprised that I really enjoyed it. I had expected colour visuals, but the black and white illustrations, storyline, characters and conversations were engaging enough to make me want to read more. As this is an on-going comic series with new issues still being published, it's obvious there is a great fan base and interest that keeps the creator churning out more stories.

I'm keen to purchase the next volumes to follow Rick's story, and perhaps start taking up reading comics again. Highly recommended.
on 7 June 2016
A brilliant beginning. A die-hard fan of the show, I decided to give the original comics a go. After consuming this like there was no tomorrow, I decided to buy The Walking Dead Compendium Volume One. I haven't regretted doing so.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
This is the first graphic novel I have downloaded to my Kindle. and I feel that it probably wont be the last.I was brought up on 'comics' and at the age of 69 feel that I have slipped back many years....(I mean that in a good way) and have really enjoyed this short ....well, if it was a book the would call it a novella, so perhaps Graphic novella would suit!
Whats to not love?its good and its free!
on 6 June 2014
I really enjoyed reading this - the artistry was brilliant and I loved how this was about Rick surviving rather than a gory horror story. I've only watched a couple of the Tv shows but found them a bit frightening. This just had that bit more substance somehow. It just goes to show - the book is ALWAYS better.
on 9 June 2014
Love the show love the comics what more can I say. Used to buy the original comics but, sold them as I needed the cash gutted!!!! Good to see some online comics to read and good research as I am an artist and love the drawing concepts of comic art. Good reference material and cheap at nothing as it was a freebee. Cheers Amazon.