TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2016
This arrived today and came well packaged.
I ordered this to upgrade and use for my PS4.

The packaging was excellent and well padded.

The drive itself had simplistic packaging. The drive being in an air tight bag only and no retail packaging, which I'm not particularly bothered about anyway.

Here's what I did and I'm not particularly a computer techy but have a reasonable amount of knowledge though it's definitely not necessary.

Firstly, you'll need the following:

* Your PS4, with gamepad and microUSB charge cable
* A medium Philips screwdriver
* This hard drive or similar 2.5" drive
* A 1GB or greater USB flash drive (to reinstall the PS4’s system software)

Follow this link to install the PS4 software onto the memory stick.

* Turn off PS4 fully, not into rest mode but off completely and unplug everything
* With the PS4 facing you on a stable surface, slide off shiny part of the console cover to the left
* Once removed, the bottom left corner is the hard drive in a housing.
* Unscrew the one single screw nearest to the bottom left corner of the console.
* Slide out gently, the hard drive housing which is
attached to the hard drive, towards you.
* On the sides of the housing once removed from the console, there are 4 dark grey screws. Unscrew all these and slide the hard drive out of the housing.
* Slide new hard drive into the housing and replace the four screws.
* Slide housing containing new hard drive back into the console slot
* Replace the first screw taken out at the start of this process.
* Replace console cover.

Plug all cables back in and get ready for first switch on.
Ensure USB STICK is in USB PORT having already downloaded the relevant software to it previously by visiting the Sony website.

Also, ensure your ps4 controller is plugged into the console as it won't work wirelessly yet.

Hold the power button on console. You'll hear a first beep then another beep after approx 7 seconds. After this second beep, release the power button.

Your console will switch on into safe mode and guide you through the rest.

This is a great drive with no issues so far and offers excellent value for money. It seems quicker at loading games too and is very quiet indeed.

**IF YOU FOUND THIS REVIEW HELPFUL, PLEASE CLICK ON THE HELPFUL BUTTON. THANK YOU.
on 7 May 2013
For my PS3 put it straight in not a problem. Got a different one before this and had to have 2 sent out then got my money back then brought this works perfect. Plus good value for around £40 cant go wrong .....
on 13 February 2014
Toshiba is possibly the maker with the lowest % of failures in their Hard Disks, I am really happy with my purchased, the hard disk is small and light which is a perfect fit for my gaming mini ITX as I want to keep it light and small.

Pleas be advised that you may need to format the hard disk to be recognized by Windows (at least 8.1) , you can either use a free partition tool (just Google "Partition software free") or put in the Windows installation CD and just get to the point where you can select in which drive to install the OS, format it and then just shut the PC down and carry on as normal.
This was brought as a replacement for a failed drive in a Macbook Pro 15". (2009). Following the instructions on iFixit, replacement was a bit fiddly but entirely possible and breathed new life into an ageing Mac. Once in formatting and installing software worked perfectly.

If you are going to do this for yourself on a MacBook Pro, there's one step where you can make your life easier. There's a stuck on bit of wiring that goes over the original disk that needs to be removed very carefully. We found that removing the old disk's label with the wire still stuck on it much easier than trying to remove the wires FROM the label. Not as pretty, but simpler, far easier and saves damaging another component.
on 27 January 2016
I was getting messages on my Packard Bell laptop, that the hard drive was failing and should be replaced. I was a bit disappointed as it was only 4 years old, and lightly used. Having established that it was a 1TB Toshiba SATA hard drive, I resolved to replace with the same make. A quick search of Amazon found this drive, which I ordered and had delivered next day. It came well packaged, and in an anti-static bag. I had already backed up my files, and created a system image using Windows 10 (It's actually a Windows 7 app). Installing the hard drive turned out to be as easy as removing a few screws, and lifting out the old one, then slotting in the new one. It took less than 10 minutes. It fired up immediately, using the recovery disk I was prompted to create when I upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago.I then connected the external hard drive with the system image, and let it do it's stuff. In no time, my PC was working again as if nothing had happened. Overall I am delighted with the purchase, and it's performance is as it should be. A good product at a great price.
on 15 April 2013
I bought this for my late 2008 model MacBook Pro, after my 320gig internal hard drive died. Installing was simple enough, though i had to buy a special screwdriver (hexagonal / star-shaped screwdriver, T6 size), to transfer the registration pins (that hold the drive in place) from the old drive to the new one, so I suggest ordering one at the same time.

I've had it for a week or so now. I don't notice my mac is any faster or slower, I haven't done any tests.

Only gets four stars because it is slightly noisier than the old one (which was nearly silent) - but not to an annoying degree, just sounds like distant white noise. I guess you have to weigh up noise v. capacity.

If you're tempted to get a 1TB internal hard drive (assuming the MCP will take that size) bear in mind you will need to be doing your back ups onto something larger than 1TB, whereas for a 750 gig internal hard drive a 1TB USB-powered one is perfect and easy to carry around.
on 3 February 2016
The harddrive in my Toshiba laptop starting having some really bad issues that could not be fixed by chkdsk /f. I ordered this item with my fingers crossed. It arrived in a separate box. It was in a static-guard package and surrounded by bubble wrap within a plastic case that had balloon packing to hold it steady inside the cardboard shipping container.

WOW, what a change to previous harddrives from Amazon.

I slipped the drive into its compartment on the underside of the laptop. Applied the screws to hold the drive in the adapter and the compartment. Put the cover in place and then began the rebuild process.

The "rescue" CD was put into the CD/DVD drive. The harddrive with the OS image and backup was plugged into the USB port. The moment of reality commenced. The drive was good!

The computer was restored. The original laptop drive was 400gb. This drive provided another 100gb to store more "precious?" crap. Now the laptop computer is again operational!

This is a good drive. The price was excellent. I think it is a very good deal!
I bought this to replace my Acer laptop's Toshiba 160GB SATA II 5,400rpm hard drive. I did consider an SSD but extra capacity was needed, not extra speed. I cloned the existing drive, and including a tidy up of the partitions using AOMEI Partition Assistant after I'd fitted it, the whole process took about 90 minutes. It's no quieter than my old drive but programs launch quicker than before and my laptop shuts down faster. Recommended
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 October 2014
I went for this HDD in a PC rebuild in October 2014, even though it was about the same price as a WD Black of the same capacity but faster (SATA3). In fact I ran that WD Black on another PC. In Windows 7 this HDD feels slightly slower than the WD Black although both HDDs score 5.9 on the Win7 Experience Index when connected to SATA3 ports using SATA3 cables.

Although you can get larger capacities for less money, I went for this because I need stability above all and - touch wood - this is what I trust Toshiba to deliver. So far I have not been disappointed and I regard this as a good disk. In fact I bought a second for a further PC rebuild in early 2015 and that's running well too. A good safe choice in HDD if you don't want to dip a toe into SSD just yet.

Why choose a 2.5-inch HDD? Well, you won't believe how much smaller and lighter this format is compared with the 3.5-inch format. Given Amazon's approach to product packaging - similar to American football - this weight advantage means that your new 2.5-inch HDD will take less of a gravitic hammering on its way to your door. On my first order, Amazon shipped the HDD in a cardboard box, and each end of the HDD was pushed into a plastic 'book end' that held the HDD securely dead centre within the box to protect it against crushing and impact. On my second order, there were no bookends and the HDD just bounced around. Both HDDs seem fine, but I wish Amazon would get a grip.
on 26 January 2016
As hard drives come this thing is amazing, Okay its not an SSD but compared to a standard 7200 it just blows it away, windows 8.1 boots up in as little as 23 seconds (my SSD boots w10 in 16 and my other comp with a 7200 boots in over 4 minutes!) which is really nice and games seem to load faster not to mention apps. For the little bit extra cash you cannot go wrong with a hybrid drive. You really should invest in these over a standard if you cannot get an SSD and avoid regular hard drives unless you are using them purely for storage. SSHD are all I am using for windows boot drives in the future until SSD drops and I would recommend this to anybody and I have been building PCs for over 12 years.