Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 25 January 2014
OK - these are expensive but what a fantastic set of binoculars.

I use them for general bird watching and star gazing, they are very light to carry and very easy to set up and use - the image is very clear and sharp. I did a lot of research before purchasing a set of binoculars and was recommended to purchase the 8X42 Nikon Monarch 5's but for an extra few pounds I decided to go for the 10X42's instead - I have no regrets!
on 31 July 2014
Very pleased with these binoculars. I wear varifocals and have no trouble with these at all. I debated whether to go for these 10x42 or the 8x42 version. These are OK for holding (very light for what they are) but they are on the limit of what you can hold and keep a steady image. I wanted the greater magnification as we have several reservoirs round here, and the birds tend to be a fair way away. Just possibly the 8x42 might have been better for near to mid viewing. I am very pleased with them ( especially in low light conditions) because they are streets better than my old pair, and well worth the money in my opinion. Also very pleased with the vendor (Gates). I don't normally like to buy high value goods from the Marketplace, but these guys were totally excellent. Brilliant service and next day courier delivery. Highly recommended
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2014
I am a fan of both Nikon and Canon optics, these are an excellent example of the former. 10x magnification is really the top end of where you want to be without either a tripod or image stabilisation. I use mine extensively to watch wildlife set up on a tripod paired with a comfy chair on the roof of my Defender .
These 10 x 42 binoculars ( for the unitiated, that means 10x magnification of objects - they appear 10 x closer - by 42mm, the size of the light gathering objective lens) are terrific. All the technical details are on the page above, however, what I can confirm is that They are light for such powerful binoculars and come with a very comfortable neck strap and soft case. A bit pricey, sure, and to be honest, I was a bit warey of that, but you get what you pay for and these are very good indeed. I'm pleased I Went for a good pair. They have been a great aid when out in the fields, by the sea, in forests, on the moors, sight seeing, watching birds in the back garden........Recommended.
One thing I Would say, not as a criticism, but more as a general point, is that I would not go above 10x unless you're plannning to use a tripod, as it becomes very difficult to hold a steady image just using your hands, as views appear so close, above 10. I Think 10 is on the limit.
on 3 August 2014
Pin sharp image. Reasonably lightweight. Looking forward to using them on my Scottish holiday. I would put these up amongst the best I have had the opportunity to use. My friends have a pair of high quality German binos which were stunning but these are nearly as good at a fraction of the price they paid.
on 1 October 2014
Excellent delivery service, came within 2 days of ordering.
After lots of research I'm sure I chose the right binoculars for the price bracket I was looking, I use the for bird watching and they are excellent, its like looking into a HD TV.
on 27 July 2016
My partner is a keen bird watcher and on the odd occasion I've taken a peek through her top quality binoculars and been well impressed. When my little cheapy pocket set got lost, I decided to spend a but more money and got these Nikons. My initial impressions are very good. The rubberised coating and ergonomics mean they are really comfortable in my hands. Once I sorted out the diopter eyepiece to my specific eyes (I wear glasses) the clarity is stunning. The strap is comfy and the bag is good. I like the fold down rubber objective lens covers but the eyepiece covers are absolutely no use at all - I've ditched them already before they get lost.
on 23 December 2015
Not much to add to the other reviews, I have used better binoculars but they cost three times the price of these. These are very comfortable in the hand and the click adjust on the eye cups is the icing on the cake. :-)
on 1 August 2016
I bought these binos in July '16. I am disappointed in them insofar as they do not produce a razor sharp image as one would expect from Nikon.
No matter how fastidious you are setting the focus with the right eye and then adjusting the centre focusing wheel for distance a pin sharp focus is never attained. It is close but annoyingly just off. My advice would be to try before buying as they may vary, however the best advice is buy German, Leica, Swarowski, Zeiss. Yes they are expensive but the image is spot on.
on 18 May 2014
I bought these binoculars to replace my old optics and have been pleasantly surprised at how good they are for the money. You would have to spend considerably more money to get a better product for a very marginal improvement in quality.