Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 23 April 2016
A walk down memory lane. I think I remembered all of the dodos mentioned in the book. And remembered some that weren't included. I'm just waiting for younger members of the family to ask " what was Christmas really like in the olden days???" A very entertaining book that I can recommend highly.
Steve Stack follows up 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff), his idiosyncratic list of British pop culture about to go extinct, with this book, along the same lines but for the Yuletide.

The thing I really like about this book is that it's like having a chat about Christmas Past with the friendliest ever Christmas ghost, down a Dickensian pub with a nice fire blazing. Steve Stack is very funny about Christmas tradition as it stood c.1973, and lots of the discussions in the book I found positively enchanting, in a way I hadn't really been expecting. There's a sweetness to the whole thing... (Quite literally at points, no surprise when you begin to consider quite how much Christmas nostalgia revolves around the confectionery. Dairy Milk Dispensers.... Ahhhhh....)

Also there are a lot of good jokes. I particularly snorted toast all over the kitchen at a description of a modern Heston Blumenthal replacement for a Christmas pudding....

A few Christmas traditions have Steve needlessly worried about their disappearance, though, I reckon - real advent calendars without chocolate are alive and well in the world of Medici! And I will be sending Steve a flimsy, non-standing-up Christmas card c/o Harper Collins just as soon as I can get to the pound shop. But this is the fun of the book! Yelling 'Jesus Christ, do you remember "Escape From Colditz: The Board Game"?' and arguing about whether the Roses Chocolate Strawberry Cream is different from the Strawberry Cream. It's the kind of book someone grabs the minute you put it down and then starts reading bits out to you laughing. Which can be annoying. Really you need two copies.

Christmas books are a bit like Christmas number ones - strong tendency to be a bit cheesy and tinselly. (Although having said that, I have a major addiction (chronicled in detail in my Amazon reviews) to Christmas cookbooks; and last year I even succumbed to Inventing the Christmas Tree, the year before to Scroogenomics: Why You Shouldn't Buy Presents for the Holidays.) But Christmas Dodos is a nice addition to the collection! Merry Christmas Everyone!
on 19 November 2013
Found this book in my local bookshop (the great Paperview in Ringwood). What a fantastic trip down memory lane. Brings back all those Christmas's past. Reading each chapter feels like your watching your old christmas cine camera recordings complete with tinsel, yellowing and scratches.
on 9 January 2014
After enjoying Steve Stack's earlier books I planned on putting Christmas Dodo's in all of the family's stockings but was disappointed to find it sold out in St Andrews where I was spending Christmas.

Thanks to Amazon Prime I managed to get some copies just in time and I (and my relations) had fun reminiscing on Christmases past as Steve has captured the spirit and essence of the season beautifully in this compendium of things that are fast disappearing from the yuletide scene.

I particularly liked the Christmas cards that wouldn't stand up as these were just about the only type of cards we ever got and it was a Christmas duty to ensure that they didn't waft down from the mantlepiece into the fire and give us more than a yule log to worry about.

Although it's too late for Christmas 2013, get your order in early for 2014 to avoid disappointment. A sure fire winner of a stocking filler.
on 9 December 2015
I love this book. Short, sweet… poignant. Admittedly it’s mostly going to appeal to those who were children in the 70s and 80s but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that! From Cadbury mini Dairy Milk dispensers (my brother got one of these – I was so jealous) to Ronco Records being advertised on the TV… to selection boxes and games compendiums! Each page is an ‘oh yes!’ followed by nodding, laughing (Steve is a funny man!), and the odd dust in your eye moment too. I was also amazed by the number of festive things/traditions I’d forgotten about.

Buy it for yourself. Buy it for the people you know. A perfect stocking-filler!
on 29 December 2013
Great idea for making money - come up with a subject, ask other people to suggest the content and then write it up. Even if it's not enough for a book, some suckers will buy it. Like me. A couple of interesting ideas, but mostly padding.
on 6 December 2013
A wonderfully non-cynical look back to the Winterval days of yore.

Being a child in the seventies, a classic "Happy Holiday" season would start off with Blue Peter, two tv guides & wafer thin paper advent calendars & cards. This is also the first book to remind me of Pocketeers, which I had completely forgotten all about.

All these & much more are covered with great humour by Steve Stack.

There's a bonus star for the comments on the copyright page (always a good sign in a humour book).

Best enjoyed with a dusty old bottle of Harvey's.
on 2 December 2013
Hands up - I sent in one of the dodos, (things that have disappeared, or all but, at Christmas), and it's there, in all its glory. Most exciting! I am delighted to have this book, and spent a very happy nostalgic hour or so revisiting things I had completely forgotten about. Christmas Dodos has solved the issue of one stocking filler... all the stockings I do will include it. This dodo is interesting, funny, and manages to be poignant at the same time. The stuff of many 'do you remembers' on Christmas day, I reckon. Now where did I put the cheese balls?
on 14 February 2015
Ok I knew it wasn't a long book but I expected better content. Certainly didn't revive any real great memories for me which I was really hoping for. And the assertion that certain annuals are worth a small fortune is wrong; look on eBay, they're about 99p!
on 8 December 2014
Can't remember how many times I hollered out loud "Crikey I Remember that!".
A great trip down memory lane and Christmases as a kid.

A great book for everyone who wants to get into the Christmas spirit..... and even for those who don't.