Customer reviews

on 9 November 2013
This is my very first paranormal read and I'm very glad that I chose this one! I love the simplicity of it, just right, I think for a first time PN read. Love the characters, especially Drake, a sexy alpha werewolf. I have a lot of respect with the heroine, Emelie, she's independent, strong and feisty. For those of you looking for a first PN read or for a light, sexy PN read, give this book a try, it won't disappoint!
on 6 August 2016
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***Received the ebook from Entangled Publishing for an honest review

Both of the beasts on the cover are beautiful!

This is book 1 in Seattle Wolf Pack series. This is for adults only due to the steamy. I read book 3 before I realized this was a series.

I love this story from the start, but werewolf shifter PNRs are my favorite kind of stories…okay any shifter PNR :) Emelia is a feisty and spunky female lead that you love to love because she knows who she is and won’t let anyone change that even the sexy Alpha Drake. All sorts of chemistry, drama, and danger in this story that keep you enthralled in the story. I loved every moment!

I highly recommend this series to members of the pack as well as any PNR lover! You will find a great story right here!
ARC provided by Netgalley.
Werewolves. And a rich, hot Alpha - sounds good doesn't it? So book request went in and I became immersed in Drake and Emelia and their love story. Drake is CEO for the company that Emelia thinks has wrongly bought the property her bar stands on and she's determined to see him, despite her letters and emails being ignored. She gets a temp job as secretary there and is ducking out of a staff party, sneaking good wine from the boss's cellars when she meets a drop dead gorgeous man....and Drake discovers this human is his Illuminary - soul-mate basically, the one person that is the perfect match for him and his wolf. He's surprised she's a human as he was expecting it to be another wolf, and as he'd given up hope 200 years ago of ever finding her he proceeds cautiously wanting to check and double check. Then Emelia is attacked and he realised someone knows about her and that places her in danger.
I enjoyed this book, a sweet romance but the werewolf twist adds a bit extra to the usual and makes it more interesting. The human turned werewolf and children conundrum also added that bit extra. I love a paranormal twist to a book so this was perfect for me. Drake was a great Alpha - strong, commanding and decisive, and yet caring in that he knew the whole werewolf mate thing needed to be handled carefully and it would come as a shock to Emelia. He needed to sort the bar problem out first too - trying to talk to her about love when she was angry over that wouldn't be a good start. I'd have liked to have seen a bit more of the Pack, the only werewolf interaction was slight, and only where it fitted into their romance and the danger she was in, and being a sucker for the paranormal I'd have liked to see more of the workings and daily life of the Pack. We didn't really see how Drake meshed that with his job as CEO which was disappointing. Emelia was a good female lead, strong and independent. I hate the simpering females that are often the romantic lead and Emelia had a mind of her own. As future female Alpha she's need that, so it was a realistic piece of writing.
The characters were well described and felt real, and each played their own part in the story. We didn't see much of Drakes twin and rival, and I couldn't help wondering how they'd gone so long as rivals but only come to a head when Emelia was found. I know she was key to the Pack Alpha position, but it seemed that the rivalry had been going on far longer and I'd liked to have known a bit more about it.

Its a well written and edited book, and priced at £2.16 for 455Kb its good value - from time taken to read I'd guess at 150-200 pages. I enjoyed it as a one off read, but not in-depth enough to join my keepers file. Its a great book if you want something light to read, or to fill a train journey or something. I like to get "into" a book and this was a bit too light for me but I know other readers want something light that they can pick up and put down as time allows without having to retrace back on the story and for that this is perfect.
Stars: four from me.
on 9 May 2013
Gone with the Wolf is the first in Kristin Miller's Seattle Wolf Pack paranormal romance series released by Entangled Publishing and the very first story I read from her.

Gone with the Wolf started out well, I loved the the chuckle out loud Halloween wine cellar scene where the air sizzled and cracked with the tension and attraction between the hero and heroine but somehow after that the story just fizzled out.

Gone with the Wolf was a quick and easy read, but it left me disappointed as I had several problems with it, both when it came to the characterisation and the writing.

In Gone with the Wolf Kristin Miller mixes several tropes: the enemies to lovers, the mistaken identity, the boss and the secretary, and the fated mate tropes; and I felt it was a bit too much as she didn't have any effort/depth left for the development of the characters. The main characters remained shallow, I couldn't get a grasp on Emelia she ran hot and cold, while the villain remained a cardboard character, with not much detail giving him dimension.

Emelia took the whole "werewolves exist and yep, I'm turning into one" a bit too easily in my opinion, while that could have provided some understandable and justified drama.

I thought there were several plot holes, some more glaring than others, like *SPOILER ALERT* The big crisis at the end of the book: Emelia is abducted yet for three days Drake doesn't look for her even though 1) she disappeared after their fight, 2) she might be in danger from his psycho brother whois hellbent on killing her, 3) it was previously stated that he gets physically sick if he spends longer times away from her and 4) with their mate connection he didn't feel her fear and stress for three days? She disappeared, didn't come to work and he just shrugged, not really worried? I found that quite the glaring black plothole... *END OF SPOILER*

As to the writing style, I felt that the story was still in its rough form and would have needed more/stricter editing to smooth things out. Some things were just thrown in the story without proper explanation or reason for their inclusion, dialogues at times read fractured as if the two person communicating weren't talking to each other:

"And Raul, I need you to reschedule the business meetings from this afternoon to Monday. I have to take the rest of today to finalize the deal for Emelia's bar." Raul met Drake at the door.
"I thought you said you were leaving the lawsuit in her hands."
"I am," Drake said as rain battered the windows in a relentless onslaught. "I'm talking about the other bar. The one that'll make her forget all about the Knight Owl."
"I'm sorry if this is overstepping my grounds, sir, but I overheard one of her guards talking..." S***, here it comes. "From my understanding of what I heard, you told Emelia that a female turned werewolf wouldn't be able to survive having an Alpha's child."
what is the connection between buying a bar and siring children?

There was also lot of "telling" rather than "showing" in this book, the author just gave explanations for the world-building in the characters' inner thoughts, which stood out, as those were things they already had to know...

Verdict: All in all, I liked the concept of mashing several of my favourite tropes into one single story, but the execution was wilted. The story started off strong and my attention was instantly hooked at the starting scene, but after that both the plot, the characters and the development of their relationship read shallow, sketched, just thrown on the paper without much development or depth. The characters remained one dimensional and I wasn't really convinced that the hero and heroine shared more than a fated sexual attraction.

Gone with the Wolf held promise on paper, but sadly didn't deliver. A quick and easy read, but in the end a meh story that could have been better.

Plot: 6/10
Characters: 5/10
Writing: 6/10
Ending: 6/10
Cover: 9/10 - gorgeous cover!

I have a hard time deciding between 2.5 or 3 stars, the story flowed easily but due to the above detailed problems I was left disappointed.

ps. I was also wondering about why was the story titled Gone with the Wolf? There was one small detail that could serve as connection, namely that Drake's yacht was called Tara, but that didn't seem reason enough for choosing this title. So I'm sorry but the importance of why the author chose this title completely flew over my head.
on 2 May 2013
A sign of a good book is when your still thinking about it the next day.......Gone with the wolf is one of those. I fell for the characthers in the first few pages they just pulled me in, especially Drake ......where can I find my own Drake.

The story isn't a new one as such alpha werewolf meets his soulmate, emmy, but she's human and has no idea werewolves exist, which means problems added in she is one strong female characther, says what she thinks, doesnt give in easily. Drake wow drake, yes his an alpha werewolf, gorgeous, sexy but a gentleman as well, warm and totally addictive. I need more of him.

To regress to their first meeting, it was amusing, a hallowe'en party and that's all I'm saying about that. There are some twists and turns in this book which I didn't expect, it's a real page turner and generally the whole book is the two of them, there are background characthers which I liked especially Logan (maybe he could have a book?), but as the main characthers were so strong they don't need too much back up.

I enjoyed how the story went, loved the angst and the passion, i honestly can't find a anything negative to say.

If you love a good werewolf love story with angst, strong characthers, and hot passion - pick this book up.
on 29 April 2013
I'm afraid I'm not one of those who gives an overview, I would rather people read the book and thoroughly enjoy it themselves without anyone ruining the plot, but I will say this.....

It was excellent read full of action, sexy werewolves and plenty of love!
An absolute page turner and brilliantly written..highly recommended...five stars!!
on 5 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in a day, letting the family go hungry!! Lol.

The characters are great and you can totally relate to them. I don't like spoilers so will just say that the book is about a handsome rich werewolf who has been searching for his soulmate for years, and comes across her by chance, and there starts the story of how to win her over, with lots of action, twists and turns.

Emelia is a strong woman who doesn't need a man in her life as they always let her down, and Drake is one hot werewolf who knows what he wants in life. Now Drake has found his life partner how can he introduce her into his world without scaring her off, and keep her safe from his twin brother who will do anything to stop them from bonding.

I haven't given too much of the plot away but I would highly recommend this book to anyone and am hoping that there is more in this series to come as I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 27 July 2013
As far as paranormal romances go Gone with the Wolf was pretty standard fare. There were some good parts and some bad parts but it manages to capture my attention for the few hours it took to read it. It didn't blow me away but it kept me mostly entertained.

As I said Gone with the Wolf is an entertaining enough read but it fails to really deliver anything new. All of its main attributes have been seen time and time again. It has been quite a while since I have read a shifter/were novel that truly stands out as something different. I cannot blame Gone with the Wolf for a genre gone stale but have to comment on its lack of originality.

The writing was generally quite good and the pacing nice. There were some nice bits of world building but also a couple of moments that could have been expanded on just a little. Like many books of this genre it bordered on the wrong side of cheesy but it wasn't too bad.

The storyline was alright; I liked the feuding twin aspect but am a little bored of paranormal romances being about corporate millionaires. I would have loved a little more background on a couple of things like Drake's odd relationship with his dead father or a little more about the bar Emelia is so desperate to keep. These things meant a lot to the characters but meant little to me due to the lack of detail about them.

The characters were much like the plot, predictable and over used. Emelia is a nice girl but a little too much like other characters I have read recently. She is bold and brassy in the beginning but it doesn't last long due to Drake proving she is wrong at nearly every turn. I liked that she stood up for herself in the end but she could have put up a stronger front against Drake throughout.

Drake is your typical millionaire alpha male. He always thinks he knows best and anyone who disagrees with him or thinks differently to him is instantly wrong. I didn't like the way he acted at the end. He and Emelia get into an argument and he lets her storm off and leaves it for days before trying to find her when he knows her life might be in danger. I wasn't all the impressed with him to be honest.

The romance had lots of chemistry and when they were equal I quite liked them together. It was a pretty standard romance with plenty of nice moments.

Gone with the Wolf wasn't terrible, it entertained me but I wanted a little more originality.
on 6 January 2015
didn’t realise this was the first book in the series; I was under the impression that this was the second one and I read it that way… But it turns out the book I thought was the first one was actually the last… Confused? I was as well (I’ll list the order in which they should be read at the end of this review post). Luckily though, these can be read as standalones – yes there are cameo appearances from the characters of the other books but nothing spoiler-y is revealed and unlike me you’ll most probably read the series in order so there’s no need to worry about spoilers.

Gone With The Werewolf is infinitely better than the third and last book. It had a little bit of everything in it – romance, action & a spunky heroine to top it all off. This one had a lot more detail to it too as opposed to the last one, then again maybe that’s because the author was establishing the world of the Seattle Wolf Pack with the first book.
on 19 April 2014
**Copy provided by Netgalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC for an honest review**

Although I struggled to see how the title connected with the book, I did find this book to be everything that I expected, and delightedly so.

A quick read, however it had flirty fun, sizzle and attraction and a strong alpha male with a woman who didn't just lie down and accept fate. She was a fighter with sass.

I do wish there had been a little more talk about the were-wolf side of things, but with a limited amount of pages what we got is still fairly decent.