on 23 January 2015
Needed to buy this, bit expensive but did the job perfectly.
on 3 April 2014
I bought this to migrate my OS to my new Crucial SSD, it is recommended by Crucial and is used by them in their video demonstrations. If you want to chance your arm and have my experience which was one full of frustration, anger and so much time wasted, well buy it and take your chance. You follow the instructions and everything looks like it is going to transfer over nice and easy, where suddenly you are being told migration was not a success as errors found on HDD. So you spend your time looking for these errors and never finding them as they just do not exist, so you try the whole process again and it just never happens, and when I finally thought I worked it all out and it told me transfer was complete, it was a lie as my PC would not start up. I tried this software in two laptops and it did not work on either. I then used Paragon easy migrate and it worked first time with no errors or fuss and in little time.
on 31 May 2014
I used it to upgrade my Acer Aspire V5-122p with a Crucial SSD. All you get in the box is a cable and a CD - but no instructions. The supplied acronis software on the CD works well enough once you know how to use it. You also, obviously, need an external DVD/CD drive.

After a few missteps, the following solved it for me.
- Put the CD into an external drive and connect to the USB 2 port. Attach the SSD into the supplied cable and connect to the USB3 port.
- Boot the laptop, holding F2, and change UEFI to LEGACY under the boot menu so it disables the windows boot manager
- Reboot and reorder the bios boot sequence so the USB-DVD drive comes before the WBM and HDD
- Reboot from the acronis CD and follow the software steps but note that if you are downsizing (probably the case from a 500Gb HDD) chose custom not auto setup and then select proportional resize.
- Reboot again to restore UEFI and WBM priority boot sequence.
on 5 December 2013
A relatively easy and cheap way to transfer the contents of a harddrive to a SSD, It consists of a USB3 to eSATA adapter, with a ridiculously short cable between the two plugs. This alone is cheaper than other such devices available on Amazon.co.uk. Additionally it encloses a cut down version of AcronisTrue Image which automates the cloning of your old disk's contents to the new SSD. There is a good video on the Crucial website, which explains the process, but absolutely no instructions with the software in the box. I have never found the Acronis software to be state of the art and this disk is no exception. The cloning failed first time for me and I was presented with various obscure acronym-containing choices during the process, which I had to look up on my laptop. The second time it ran properly and I still don't know what went wrong first time.
on 13 March 2014
The box contains a CD and the USB-to-SATA cable, and nothing else. Put the CD in your drive and it appears blank. This is because, as others have mentioned, it is a bootable CD only. But you wouldnt know this since it is only mentioned in the instructions available from the Crucial website. This is a big fail on Crucial's part. The instructions only amount to a page or so - and are crucial (no pun intended) in getting this package to work.

Fortunately I had some similar software that achieved the same thing (clone my boot drive). Once cloned, I swapped the drives, and was up and running immediately.

One thing to bear in mind - cloning a drive via a USB2 port is slow - something to be left running for an hour or two.
on 2 January 2015
A great package, let down by the lack of instructions. I was fortunate to have seen the video and instructions before buying or using it. Reading the reviews from other buyers / users. I agree that more help and instructions should be included. Most people would appear to have not read the words on the back of the box which say "For install guide and warranty information visit" the site to visit is below the same words in 8 various languages.
One thing which I would advise. Prior to cloning a HDD carry out the following steps. Some years ago I had a problem using Norton Ghost. One of Norton's advisers gave me these instructions which I consider good advice and they are as valid now as then. First Defrag the drive to be cloned. Do this several times. I recon doing it five times. Next run the following command CHKDSK C: /R do this five times. Any errors on the HDD will be fixed and you will have a "Tidy" drive to clone. Yes this is a long winded operation but if you are investing money in switching to a new drive perhaps an SSD is it not worth making certain you drive to be cloned is in the best condition.
Again view the video and follow the instructions to the letter.
I have also used Acronis True Image HD 2014. This is loaded on the system to be cloned. I don't like it and could not get on with it However I do like this Installation kit version of Acronis. I am happy to answer questions
on 2 February 2014
I may have missed it but the software is a boot disk not software to install once your computer is running!
A small piece of paper in the box explaining this would have averted the confusion. so when you try to install the software 'normally' the disk doesn't appear to work. hope this helps others.
on 20 April 2014
This hardware comes with lacking software, my advice is goto MACRIUM download their FREE cloning software and you are away.The process is very straight forward.Please find this review helpful in order to bump it up for the interest of other buyers.
on 27 April 2014
Didnt work when I tried the software. Firstly there is no instructions but it can be found online, the software would not complete the clone instead it reboots the laptop. Waste of money better off buying a usb to sata connector and using third party software I used easeus todo backup software to clone existing hard drive.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2014
I bought this direct from Crucial ( I didn't think to look on Amazon ) and it's worth every penny.

Copied over the contents of my old drive to the new SSD ( fitted using the screws and bracket in this kit ) in under 20 minutes.
The whole process (fitting new drive, cloning it to the new SSD and then wapping the SDD for the cloned drive ) took less than 40 minutes.

Excellent kit and fantastic value too.