on 17 April 2016
A beautifully designed edition of the most loved P&P.
- There are plenty of beautiful full-page and small color illustrations all through the book. One of them could be opened. This makes it a perfect gift for young readers.
- patterned endpapers
- orange head, foredge and tail with a pattern.
- the font is perfectly good for reading.
However I could spot some spelling mistakes but these seem to be very rare. All in all I was satisfied with my purchase.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 2 January 2018
I haven't read many books and this one wasn't the type that I would have preferred. But having read too few books since I was a child, I resolved towards the end of 2017 to read at least 12 books a year thereafter and ensure that at least one of them were a classic. This was the second classic.

I had a hard time reading this at first. So many new words entered my limited vocabulary after the first few chapters that it was impossible to not notice how frequently I needed the dictionary. The author clearly has a word for everything and is very poetic at times when describing emotions of the characters. The language and dialogues among the characters are so dramatic and eloquent. Plenty of uncommon synonyms were used in writing this story. There were parts in the book when I thought the author sat writing with a thesaurus, picking alternate synonyms, one after the other.

As anyone who has read about the Austen would know, she explored the lives of families in England during the times of gentry, the class of wealthy landlords and barons. She gives a detailed picture of what was expected of a fiancé at the time; how family, social connections and wealth was so important for a marriage alliance to be considered propriety in this book. Some of the expectations bore a striking resemblance to the customs that are associated with arranged marriages that prevail in India. I realize now that Indians probably got this from the British who colonized the place for nearly 200 years.

The story revolves around a girl in a family of 5 sisters, who belonged to what can be termed probably middle class of today. It takes us through how her emotions to a wealthy young man transforms from hate to admiration. The story also illustrates how prejudice can affect one's opinion and how pride can blind one.

I never imagined that I could enjoy reading anything but detective or science fiction but this one was really a pleasure to read. Thanks to the holiday season, I had plenty of time to read too. Looking forward to reading more of her works.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2014
'Pride and Prejudice' was published in 1813 and describes how its heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, copes with life among the landed gentry in the early nineteenth century. It is a delicate, wise and sometimes richly humorous novel about how to cope with polite society and its rules. Elizabeth is one of five sisters, the daughters of a moderately well-off country gentleman; his estate is entailed to the nearest male relative and the girls will have a very modest inheritance, so it is imperative that they marry well. To find a suitable husband, they must be accomplished, beautiful and well-mannered and the book deals with issues of manners, upbringing and educations, as well as morality.
This is such a well-known story and has been made into films and television series so many times that you'd think that reading it would be a yawn. On the contrary, it is subtle and charming and wise and thoroughly enjoyable, in my opinion Jane Austen's greatest novel. How much I'd have missed if I had simply watched this on tv! One really understands why Elizabeth and Jane's embarrassing relatives - their parents and siblings, were such a drawback to making a good marriage, as well as why their father's conduct was a reprehensible as their foolish mother's. What I loved was the realism - the explicit way in which women recognised that their only route to a secure and comfortable life was to marry the right man, and that actually falling in love was an optional extra. Elizabeth's plain friend, Charlotte, trades herself off to a foolish man whom she does not love in order to have a home and family and her painful predicament is completely understandable. Elizabeth is determined not to marry without love. Will she succeed? She learns many lessons in her journey to happiness, as does Darcy, and this is what gives the plot its movement forward. A lovely book!
on 7 December 2017
At first I was so pleased to download this onto my Kindle for free as it is my favourite book and I've read it hundreds of times -- but unfortunately whoever translated this version to the Amazon Classics Edition did not take care to make sure it was the original text.

For example, Bingley declaring that he doesn't know "a more awful object than Darcy" (in the man's presence!!!) when it should have been "a more aweful object" (a completely different meaning to "awful"), and Mrs Bennet and Kitty mentioning "Pulvis Lodge" rather than "Purvis Lodge". These are just two examples I could think of off the top of my head -- but there were a few other instances where I thought "hold on, I'm pretty sure the original doesn't quite say that." It ruined it for me.

You are better off spending your money on an actual faithful reproduction of the original text, rather than a version which didn't even take the necessary care required to transcribe a famous classic accurately. Perhaps there is a free e-book version of this book that is an accurate version, but if so, this is not it.
on 13 September 2015
Classic novel Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, and her struggle for matrimony in the 19th century north of England. This being the first classic I completed, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Firstly, I have to admit, Austen's writing style and narrative of events has a really nice tone, and offers a broad perspective. Because said narrator is impartial to the transpiring events, one can experience the book broadly, and develop personal opinions of each character, which I really enjoy doing. Furthermore, having a narrator like this makes it so that one can feel as though they are watching the story through a present - but quiet and impartial - character's mind's eye, which really helps to bring the story to life.

Next, I wasn't expecting I would say this, yet I am: Jane Austen is really funny. Frankly, I didn't expect to get the jokes interjected into this book, for they are from a differing era to my own, yet I found myself laughing along with some of the witty comments inserted into the story.

However, I would say there are too many sub-plots. Granted, they all tie together at the end, yet I would have preferred it if the book focussed plainly on Elizabeth rather than Elizabeth and every one she's ever known. I found myself wishing the book would circle back around to Elizabeth and Darcy, but sometimes there were some rather big gaps away from the main plot line, which bored me quite a bit.

In comparison, I did really like the characters. Elizabeth is really nice to read about, for she is unlike all of her friends and sisters, and decides it is not a man she needs to live. Also, she likes reading, so what really is there to dislike?

Likewise, Darcy is really fun to read about. I love it when a character is so universally hated, only for the truth to dub them all wrong for prejudicing said character in such a way. This is exactly how it worked for Darcy, and I really loved it. Also, the switch between good/bad Darcy is really sudden, yet really natural, further accentuating the poor lighting the characters and the reader have seen Darcy's personality in, perceiving him not as the man he is, but instead the man he appears to be. In turn, this also offers a good message - do not prejudice! You could be prematurely judging the love of your life!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, but did - unfortunately - feel as though the pacing was rather slow. There were moments when I found myself feeling rather bored, for the pace had hardly furthered, yet, granted, there were moments n whcih I was fully enticed by the novel. Thus, I awarded it 4/5 stars.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2014
There are countless reviews about Pride & Prejudice, written by people much smarter than I am so I'm just going to focus on my feelings about the book. The whole experience rather than just a rehash of the contents.

I don't read many classics. Barely any. A while back though I took a notion to read Pride & Prejudice for the first time. I'm a big kindle fan but for this book I wanted my first time to be special.

I hunted down and bought a very nice vintage hardback, complete with gilt trim and (faux) leather and settled down to read...then I laid it aside and had an attack of doubt. What if I hated it? EVERYONE else seems to love it and the pressure to get sucked in by it felt huge. I decided to delay reading it until I felt I was in the right mood for it to grab me. Eventually I decided that even if I hated it I'd just say I loved it so that nobody would think I was stupid :D

Now where did that fancy book go? *sigh* Nowhere to be found. It's like the thing had vanished into thin air. Ah well, never mind, my kindle is special too, I suppose.

Nope, two chapters into the kindle edition and I wasn't feeling it. I really needed this one in paper.

So, fast forward a few weeks spent checking charity shops for any copy I could lay my hands on without any success and I take myself online. I'm browsing a few different covers when I spy this edition. The mother lode... Soon as I saw this Pulp the Classics cover I knew that was 'The Special' I had been looking for.

It's just perfect for me. Cover with a vintage re-do and cute tag-line to match. With Colin Firth as the inspiration its made of win. Apparently I judge books by their covers.

The text of the book is the exact classic's text, it's just the cover that is different. It's got the coloured page edges like some vintage paperbacks used to have as standard and is made to look beat up and stained on the cover. So cute.

I was reading this in the hospital waiting room last week and two separate ladies came over to me and asked about it :) It's a great conversation starter!

Anyhoo....the story... I LOVE IT!! No lie, I really do!. I'm happy to announce that I really like it.

I think Wuthering Heights is next!
review imagereview image
on 12 July 2016
...Oh what a character. Initially you despise him - his arrogance, pride and vanity (this is what we perceive of him through the eyes of Elizabeth Bennet in their initial introductions). But slowly, oh so slowly, you begin to fall in love with a man who in fact holds no vanity and is only proud in the utmost honourable respect. Prejudice is certainly the word to first describe Elizabeth's feelings towards Darcy but we soon see this diminish and the pride of both sides which held a defensive wall up for both, slowly crumble. Like millions of others have been since this book was published 2 centuries ago I think I have a new found love for a certain Mr Darcy!

This book perfectly describes a dominating gentry society where marriage was but a means of securing fortune and for women especially a form of stability when wealth could not be passed from father to daughter. Looking at characters individually I must say the eldest of the five Bennet daughters, Jan, pretty much annoyed me throughout the whole book. There is nothing wrong with only seeing the good in people but to be so out of touch with reality and be completely ignorant of all crimes a person commits is utter stupidity. Each daughter represents different flaws that human nature consists of.

Definitely recommend this book - not a huge fan of the movie casts so best to stick to the book so you can pick your own cast!
on 20 February 2014
It did not say on its Amazon entry that this was an abridged version. I, perhaps, should have known from the price, but there was nothing anywhere to say it was abridged. On first listen the first few minutes were unintelligible due to a very loud noise on the background of the recording. I returned this product for a replacement. The same problem was evident in the first few minutes and, it turned out, also on the last few minutes. So, not only a faulty product, a faulty batch and also misrepresented in its description. This was poor, Amazon.
on 18 January 2018
I'm a big fan of the film with Keira Knightly and after watching it so many times wanted to read the book. Of course I'm reading it picturing the film as I progress through the written word. It's a delightful read and it makes you wonder what the author would think of our mixed up world today of unmarried mothers, men who go on to father numerous children, lack of respect of mankind! I know that it is written with the upper class in mind and if the character's were of the much lower classes a different lifestyle would be be revealed... I'm sure you'll agree that some things should be left in the past for many reasons but I can't help but think it was a nicer world, a pleasant and more simple place to be.... respect is the answer...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 September 2016
The general storyline is well-known due to the many filmed versions: Mr Bennet is well-meaning and intelligent, and has a sense of humour, but is basically lazy. His wife is materialistic and cares only what other people think; she has no original ideas of her own.

They have produced five daughters who are all quite different in character. Into the neighbourhood come Mr Bingley, owner of a large estate, and his rude friend Mr Darcy....

Austen had quite a gift of portraying personalities and there’s a great deal of satire as well as character observations that are (I hope) caricatured, but nonetheless recognisable. The plot is that of a romantic novel, with misunderstandings along the way. It’s quite long-winded, typical of 19th century writings, and inevitably dated.

Nevertheless, much of what's said and thought seems quite modern, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to re-read it on my Kindle after many years. Overall I liked it very much; there’s a great deal more in the book than in any film version, and I had quite forgotten what an enjoyable read this is, if one takes the time to take it all in.

Four and a half stars, really!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse