Customer reviews

on 9 September 2013
I'm torn as to what my overall appraisal of Empty Roads & Broken Bottles should be. Just as the story is full of highs and lows, the quality of the telling is the same. Near the beginning Eriksson explained her goal in chronicling her journey of self-discovery like this:

"I'm here to kill your hero. I'm here to tell you about the real climb, the real mountain; the stepping-stones that break, the beasts that no one warned me about, the storm that killed my fire and stole my friends."

I thought that was a powerful description and a laudable goal. When she said she'd "like to spend my life arriving in new cities every morning" and that she wished "for company and someone to share this with," but that another part craved "solitude and places far, far away," I got it. I understood and have had the same conflicting emotions myself.

When she described the feeling she got playing music on stage, how it was another kind of acting that allowed her to take on a persona much different than who she was off stage, it reminded me of my musician friend who seems in total control while performing on The Tonight Show or in front of an audience of any size, yet is painfully shy when not in the spotlight.

While I thought the book started great, the deeper into it I got the more generic or vague it seemed to get (whereas I would have expected and wanted the opposite). It started seeming like random journal entries (at one point I'm fairly sure it was) rather than a coherent whole. The same thoughts started getting repeated and the the point of the entire exercise became more and more unclear to me. Would it be cheating to recommend just reading the first 30% or so?

**Originally written for "Books and Pals" book blog. May have received a free review copy. **
on 14 July 2013
This is a book that many people are going to take in a very different way, and all I can do is tell you how this inspired me. Charlotte's story is a rare one, but the sentiments behind every motive and action is something we all feel at some point in our life.
This is uniquely beautiful, every word breathes honesty, pain, struggle and lust for life. Soaked with Charlotte's own inspirations in life, it's natural that this pours into your own life. This was certainly the case for me. Very few people take the time to look backwards into their lives, even fewer would write so honestly about it. This is how a journey is made. Yearning for life oozes out every word and it becomes easy to understand why a person would choose to live a life in the way Charlotte has done, it's easy to admire her choices and struggles.
There are aspects that are painful to read, but this is reflective of real life. Each dark part is counteracted by the small but beautiful things in life, highlighting why it's important to live the life you wish to.

This isn't a story of climbing to the top of the game, it's a story of fighting to stay floating above the surface. When you have any kind of dream or ambition, that really is all you can hope to do. There's no suggestion of an idyllic living, it's gritty and dirty, but it's bearable; it's maintained by art. Some people will get that, some people won't.
There's something that everybody can see, it takes a special kind of person to take these risks and to take on what feels like the entire world. It doesn't matter who you are, but this will leave you reflecting on your own life, wishes and choices.

This isn't a phrase I often use, perhaps never before. This is a book that has the potential to change your life. It's certainly helped me on my own journey.

Is this something that's about to become a classic novel? Certainly not, but that isn't the intention. It's so much stronger than that.
on 29 April 2014
I first crossed paths with Charlotte Eriksson working as a music journalist being asked to review the debut EP of this unknown artist. Receiving 100's of aspiring artists music to review there was something about Charlotte's music that made it stand out and blow my socks off - that was her imaginative, creative and beautiful lyrics.

Charlotte Eriksson's writing skills work just as well. As already mentioned, this book is the story of Charlotte's life. It is a brutally true and honest account of struggles and success. This success does not mean selling millions of records, it means success in achieving your goals in life and living it to the full, doing what you believe in and, by chance, making lots of people happy too.

The writing style matches those of the lyrics in her songs - painting a true picture in your mind with the writers poetic words.

This book ultimately could be classed as a true inspiration, not to accept the mediocre but to make those brave decisions. Since reading this book I myself was inspired to make one of those decisions and are so much the happier for it - so thank you Charlotte!
on 3 September 2014
This book started out well, but then broke down into a boring Acid Trip... written down as someones daily diary, we have all done this sweetheart some of us more so! only thing i did respect is that you have guts, passion and charisma, but I find most 20 year olds boring anyway maybe I was the wrong target ordinance...

Hopefully you found peace somewhere

Cheers!
on 4 February 2015
I saw this artist play live and was very impressed. I was surprised that she had a book for sale but i bought it out of curiosity and politeness. I'm so glad I did. We are a generation apart - yet her words found a home in me - reflective, inspiring and brutally candid. This is not an 'easy' read but you will be touched by this story of her journey so far. Thoroughly recommended.
on 28 March 2014
one of the best singer song wrighters in a long time,her words so real and true they touch your heart and make you dream,think,life,inspire, her music is top class and the voice of a angel on a wire, this book is a good read with her album you will go to wonderland and not want to come back to terrorferma. buy buy buy.
on 16 May 2013
I promise you that this is one of the most inspiring books you will ever read, it's the sort of book you can read over and over and each time you'll notice something you didn't before.

You have to read this
on 3 August 2013
I stumbled across Charlotte's music quite by chance but I instantly fell in love with it as soon as I heard her beautiful voice! This story of her life is truly remarkable and so inspiring.
on 11 May 2013
This book is a story about Charlotte Eriksson "The Glass Child" it features her life and how she started music.

This is a must read!
on 14 July 2013
Charlotte is also an amazing girl i have met her and interviewed her twice. You should all read this and understand her struggles her music is also awesome.