Customer reviews

on 10 February 2015
I've had this scope for about a week. I bought it partly due to the reviews on various websites and forums, as this seemed to be the sub 600 benchmark scope

I also own a pair of Endeavour 8x42 binoculars which are fantastic. That said this scope has left me a little underwhelmed.

My first use was in fairness on a day with poor lighting. The image seemed incredibly flat and washed out.
I then used the scope a few days later in bright, sunny conditions. This was a big improvement overall (though nowhere near as good an image as my binoculars).

What I don't like:

The image...it's good up to 30x magnification, but above that there's a visible drop in light transmission and the image becomes blurry.
Eye relief is good, but I do sometimes get some vignetting.
In some poorer light conditions I've had purple fringing on the lens
The fine focus is very hard to get right.
The objective lens cover that's part of the stay-on case has no retainer so it just falls off.
The shoulder strap included with the case. It's just nasty.

What I do like:
The included stay-on case - apart from the objective lens cover
Nice, easy to remove lens cover
Retractable lens hood
Weight/ portability

I'm currently considering returning the scope. I could cope with the dislikes if it wasn't for the image quality. Overall after being thoroughly impressed with my binoculars, the image of this scope just seems lacking. Maybe I have a defective scope?

UPDATE March 15

I returned the scope and bought another. This unit sees better, and I can only assume I had a bit of a dud - though doesn't speak volumes for the QC. It's not a massive improvement but it's enough to mean I'm keeping it. It's excellent up to around 40x (the prior one tailed off noticeably at 30x), and acceptable at 60x.
33 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2014
Excellent scope. A lot clearer and brighter than ones I have tried priced above £1000. I would definitely recommend trying the Endeavor HD 82A before wasting your money on a more expensive scope of inferior ability.
on 30 June 2015
A great bit of kit. Extremely portable for its power. Amazing clarity. This was a big step in price compared to my last scope but I have not been disappointed.
on 17 March 2017
Cannot fault the quality of this adaptor, but had to send it back. Canon EOS 600 owners beware...the ring will not attach to 58mm diameter lens.
Well annoyed.
on 3 August 2017
Very disappointing. Image was blurred. Exchanged it for another but it was even worse. It's now been returned for a refund.
on 26 March 2015
Makes mounting your camera very easy. The thumb screw allows you to rotate either the camera for fine balance / level adjustment or rotate the barrel on to the Scope's thread.

You'll probably need step up / down rings depending on the lenses that you want to use bit it helpfully comers with two different size rings in the box. It creates a very secure attachment.

Overall I find the Endeavour scope (the HD) works best at lowest magnification for any kind of photography. It'll even give acceptable astro results, though I've noticed a little blue fringing on moon shots.

The only reason I'm giving it 3 rather than 4 stars is the price which I think is expensive for what it is.
on 6 December 2016
Good
on 26 May 2016
Price quality rate is OK.
on 24 October 2013
I bought a Vanguard endeavour HD 10.5x 45 pair of bins about a year ago and was very impressed with them. I have been idly looking at scopes ever since then. I did extreme due diligence. Angled scopes generally better for birding than straight; 65mm lens more than adequate for 95% of birding needs; the importance of weight, especially at the end of a long birding day and after too many miles. Of course I would like a Swarovski scope but am not prepared to pay the price. I was aware of the HD65A scope and that others had reviewed it elsewhere,as excellent value for money with fair to good optical quality. In September 2013 I saw the scope advertised online for £319.99. I thought this an excellent price for the product. Given that Vanguard was offering an £85 cashback (so scope for £234.99)or a free tripod(Abeo243AV worth £180), I snapped it up sight unseen. So I ended up with scope and tripod (which came quickly) for £320, no postage or packaging fees- a steal. The tripod is black aluminium with panning head, comes with its own carry bag and is quick/easy to put up/down, very adjustable (I am almost 12 inches taller than my wife), rock steady with scope attached. Back to the scope- easy to use, aim, focus, zoom, although when zooming you often have to refocus. Eye relief adequate for my glasses but I prefer to go birding with contact lens in place. It is waterproof so doesn't need a cover, but a cover comes with it, don't need to take cover off to use the scope. The scope seems well put together.I have taken it out on two birding trips to Gibralter point (Skegness) and Spurn Head (Humber estuary), both were bright autumnal days and used it to read small print at the end of my long garden . So what about the optical quality? It is very bright at 15-30x magnification but becomes less so as you go to full zoom. The resolution and colour definition is very good, I cannot see any fringing at low to medium zoom. Focus is sharp in the centre 2/3s field of view. I was able to compare the view of a Jack snipe through the Vanguard and a Swarovski at one of the hides. Honestly at low magnification the view through the Vanguard was just as good- however the Swarovski did maintain a sharp focus through the entire field of view unlike the Vanguard. So why only 4 stars? Well like several other reviewers I have 3 or 4 small black specs visible at low magnification, they are at the outer edge of the field of view, so not worth fussing about but a little irritating nonetheless. Cleaning does not remove them. It suggests a common problem somewhere in the manufacture that quality control does not pick up or act on. Note to Vanguard if they ever read these reviews- fix the problem at your factory.

So in summary, value for money you cannot go wrong. It is an excellent product at 15-30x magnification, comparable to a much more expensive scope. If you purchase from a shop I would check several units to make sure you get an optically clean product. This scope may satisfy my birding needs for years to come, or it may end up in my garden room focussed on the bird table, because I have graduated to a more expensive scope. Either way I am happy. If Vanguard sent me a clean eyepiece I would give it 5 stars!

Update 14 Jan 2014. Andy Bennet the MD of Vanguard UK read this review at the end of last year, said he had passed my comments onto the factory and would personally be checking new stock for optical quality. He furthermore offered to replace my scope with an optically clean one. This was done with maximum efficiency and at no cost to me. I tried the scope out on the Norfolk Coast, RSPB Titchwell, in early January. No black specs in Field of view. So I would like to commend Vanguard for their customer service and suggest to any reader that they can buy from this company with confidence. I have now given the item 5*, I would be very surprised if you can buy an optically better scope for anything like the cost of these. Well done Vanguard UK
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2016