on 9 January 2017
Switched to Fuji from Canon kit. Have to say the quality of the images are excellent, auto-focus is fast and the lens feels super solid and well built.

Upgraded the Camera (X-T10) and Lens firmware after purchase and I have not suffered any of the auto-focus related issues others mention. I note most of the auto-focus related posts are a few years old 2013 etc. so something positive seems to have changed in that time.

Agreed that the plastic lens hood feels a bit cheap and that the lens covers from Fuji are a nightmare especially, i.e. they fall off a the least touch if you have a UV filter screwed in but all that aside I still have to give it 5 because of the images, construction and usability.
on 7 April 2016
Tried out in Paris and some beautiful pictures taken. Great Lens!
review image review image review image review image
on 21 June 2013
Fuji have built another winner with the 55-200mm for the X range of cameras. It's got true pro qualities: no distortion, solid build, high resolution, image stabilization, and a pretty quick focus making the mirrorless Fuji X camera range a great lighter weight travel option over my Canon SLR system for all but fast moving wildlife subjects, such as birds, where the Canon continuos focus mode still out performs fuji.
on 15 March 2016
This lens wasn't entirely a surprise to me. I had briefly tried one at a Calumet open day and managed sharp test shots in bad light, at very high isos, at 1/20 sec, at the long end, handheld. At the time I thought there must be something wrong with the metadata. It's true, AF was a little slow, although latest firmware has improved matters rather more than I might have expected, but it's image stabiliser is second to none - and I'm familiar with Canon L-series - furthermore it is able to produce far superior results wide-open and isn't demonstrably weak at 200mm, as many similar lenses tend to be. Resolution of fine detail is a shock after years of Canon zooms - an absolute revelation, perilously close to prime lens territory. The lens feels solid and well made: it doesn't slide if you point the camera straight up or down, the zoom ring has the right amount of resistance and the manual focus ring also feels tactile and responsive.
Criticism? No focus limiter, which really would have been useful. No facility for a tripod collar - this lens isn't entirely happy hanging off my X-E2 on the tripod; it would be much more balanced and less strained with a collar. The plastic lenshood isn't metal and resists installation, which can be annoying when time is short. The lens isn't especially quiet, but then other Fuji lenses aren't, either. Fuji's new teleconvertor is NOT compatible with this lens, which was something of a disappointment. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the predictive AF is unusable - the one (and only, in my view) area the Canon lenses win by miles - it must be said this, too, is a Fuji failing and is not limited to this lens. If you need speed, an instant and unhesitating lock-on target, then this is NOT for you, but if your photography is less urgent you will find focussing accuracy is in another league.
Positives? Small, light, astonishingly affordable, very, very sharp and AF is accurate in a way Canon just isn't. The stabiliser is purest black magic. Usable from wide open to f16 throughout it's range. I have owned a dozen lenses of a similar range over 25 years of photography, not all of them Canon, and I can honestly say this is by far the best.
on 21 July 2015
Purchased along with 16-55 prior to two week holiday in Tuscany to attend Palio horse race in Siena and take some fast moving images.
Swithered between Fuxi XF 50-140, 2.8 and this lens for my Xt-1
Read reviews about sharpness and opted for this due to extra 60 mm length and lightness not to mention much cheaper with cash back on two lens purchase.
Outstanding clarity images , sharp as a tack ,and great depth of field separation to rival full frame zooms
So glad I went for this.
Slightly stiff zoom (cf other Fuji zooms ) slows action a little but consequently no zoom creep and easy to adjust
It may be lightweight but not in terms of sharpness, I could pick out faces/expressions on very fast moving horse riders and in a crowd of thousands at 300 metres !
Balances well with grip on Fuji Xt-1
Add it to your lens collection, you won't be disappointed but cannot guarantee you won't want to add the 50-140 also !
on 9 July 2014
Although some may say the zoom twist is a little tight - Ok for me but took a little getting used to compared to other zoom lenses I have had in the past
on 29 July 2014
When I purchased my XM-1 with 18-55 zoom kit lens, there was an offer where you could apply and get this lens for free direct from Fuji.

I thought at the time that it might be useful on occasion for distant subjects, but I have found that it is on the camera much more frequently. The quality of the lens is just superb. On my XM-1 at 1:1 view in Lightroom, the definition is incredible. I've also found it useful for shooting portraits and candids, as you can pull the subject up in the frame without sticking the camera in their face.

The build quality is excellent, it all feels very positive and well-made and the production finish is excellent. Naturally, I would have liked a wider aperture, or a constant aperture throughout the zoom range, but it's not been a huge problem.

It's an incredible lens, I love it.
on 21 January 2014
good quality, fairly bright lens, image stabilisation works fine, but the lens is hefty and feels unbalance on smaller bodies like X-M1
on 16 October 2013
I thought I'd just add a few words about this lens as a word of caution. I switched to a Fuji XE-1 as a lightweight travel alternative to my Canons - and in this regard I've been very, very happy. In terms of Wide Angle to "Normal" (I have the 14mm & 18-55 lenses) I'm very happy indeed. Image quality is better than my Canon (10D,40D,7D) in terms of sharpness and especially colour both unprocessed and processed. I'd estimate DR at a full stop. However ... I picked up the 55-200 for a recent trip away and whilst the image quality is superb - I'd put it on a par with a 70-200 "L" from Canon - AF is woeful. This is with the latest firmware on both camera and body - it failed to lock onto static subjects in harsh/hazy light repeatedly (Canon near instaneous) and even in good light at distances of more than say 100m in good and great constrast it failed to lock focus. So be beware - the Fuji kit it excellent - AF more than adequate at wide to normal but verging on useless at tele (100-200mm). I missed a few shots a result and at these lengths the focus confirmation from the latest firmware doesn't help with manual focus.

Fingers crossed a further firmware improvement will fix it - also is it just me or does OIS seem to have little or no effect on the viewfinder ?

So sorry. 5 stars for image quality - reduced to 3 for rubbish AF performance. Me ? I'll stick with my XE-1, 18-55, 14 (& probably plump for a 10-24). 55-200 is being sold to fund another 70-300 IS (Canon) as if I'm travelling and need a tele I'll take that and a spare Canon body.
66 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2016
Great build quality even though it has plastic in the construction.
Excellent image quality used on x-pro 1 & 2