Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.84

on 10 December 2013
This book started out slow for me but got better thankfully. Initially I did not like Abberley but he did improve, as soon as he stated taking an interest in his estate. His dissipated life, I presume was due to Margaret but it wasn't clearly explained why, and if it is because of Margaret, then it is extremely annoying that the man did not just get on to fix it rather than wallow in drink and whatever else.

However, as I said, his character improved greatly and he became quite likeable, especially since he did not appear to be arrogant at all, which is rather a norm with these "strong, silent types".

Margaret is also very likeable but I find it silly when she said that she brings death to people she loves.

There are a few other things I did not like - in how Aunt Celeste got Abberley to take an interest in his property and again, how Abberley got Margaret to acquiesce to the proposal but I managed to overcome them.

Finally, even with the few things I did not like in this book, I have to credit Amanda Scott as being one of the better current Regency writers, since she writes very intelligently, is very descriptive and writes a good story. She is one of the more respectable authors for this period. I have read at least 4 other books of hers, and although I enjoyed them much more than this book, overall, I love her books because she is a more true to type author for the Regency period and has a sophistication in her books that I have not found in most of the books out there.