on 22 November 2013
This is a genuine 1920 pixel by 1080 lines monitor, with a claimed 5ms grey to grey time. The colourimetry is excellent, and the HD BBC Test Card shows that the brightness to contrast range and sharpness are all correctly set by default. The surround bezel is gloss black, but the screen itself (a full 24" diagonal) is more of a fine matte and does not reflect highlights. The Az blurb seems to be correct in most respects.

It has both HDMI and VGA inputs. Both work well to the full 1920x1080p resolution at 50Hz or 60Hz refresh. Even a 10metre long HDMI lead at 1080p was excellent. The thin VGA lead that came with it seems to work fine, but I am using my own 2metre HDMI lead (none was supplied).

It is capable of being too bright in a normal domestic or office environment, and I've reduced the back-light setting to about 50% (on ECO) to match the well-lit room it is used in so as to minimise eye-strain. The usual set of touch buttons to navigate the menus lives on the lower edge next to the indicator light on the right.

It recognises the full range of VESA standard scan modes, and there is the ability to fine tune a slightly non-standard mode to scale it to fit the screen. The only negative thing I have found is that the stylishly sculpted design of the back means there are no VESA mounting holes.

It does NOT have any speakers. But then anything this thin would not be able to produce a decent sound, and there are lots of inexpensive excellent external speakers for PC. We still use some old sets of Logitech X-230 speakers.

The Magic Picture Angle (MPA) is interesting. When the MPA is aimed as detailed in the menu it is very directional, surprisingly so, especially when considering that the "Group View" is very non-directional and supports quite wide viewing angles both horizontally and vertically. I've decided that 'Off' (not 'Group View') is the setting I should leave it on as being most useful, because gamma cannot be changed when a Magic Angle mode is active.

Tilting the monitor is significantly easier than it was with last year's otherwise almost (only 23.6") identical model (S24B300HL on my W7 machine). The top part of the base-stand-bracket-assembly that is fixed to the monitor is a friction hinge with maybe as much as thirty degrees of movement.

The software that comes with it seems to work, but I'm not using it. My ancient XP and W7 machines were both able to negotiate with the monitor and automatically set everything right before ever looking at the Samsung CD. The XP it is being used with has an HDMI graphics card with the AMD Catalyst software which talked with the monitor quite happily. I found that the PDF manual is the most useful item with the extra info that was not shown in the multi-language scraps of paper that come with it.

I compared this new S24C300HS (via HDMI graphics card) with my one-year-old S24B300HL (via MB VGA graphics), both on the same computer at the same time, and by tweaking the backlight and sRGB profiles was able to get an almost exact match between them. For a while I ended up with a desktop 3840 pixels wide, allowing four A4 pages to be shown side by side in four separate Word windows, plus space left over for odds at the sides, and the mouse sweeping across the lot. Wonderful, but a shame I can't afford the desk space to do this all the time, and the older monitor had to go back to its own computer.

The mains unit is small and only seems to rise maybe ten or fifteen degrees above room temperature with the LED back-light brightness set for normal domestic/office lighting levels. It has a standard figure-8 two-pin mains socket, and both US and UK leads for it were supplied.

I've measured the power it takes from the mains;
. Standby is about 0.5 Watts.
. Normal use at about 50% brightness is 13 Watts, (surprisingly good).
So now it, the speakers, and a few other bits are switched off automatically by a Belkin power strip when the computer goes to sleep.
66 Comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 October 2013
This monitor is plugged into my laptop through the VGA port and into my Xbox 360 through the HDMI port. I use it as part of a dual screen setup, with my laptop's screen acting as the second monitor. I have to say that, when I drag a programme from the Samsung to the laptop screen the difference is quite stark in terms of sharpness, colour and contrast. The laptop - which is a not inexpensive Toshiba with a very decent display - gets blown away. The screen also performs very well for gaming and watching films or TV shows.

Overall, an excellent purchase.
44 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2014
I have but one complaint about this item. The instruction give precise details on how to clean the screen and not to touch it as it will mark the screen. Unfortunately within two hours of having it up and running a s,all fly landed on the screen and as I carefully brushed it off it marked the screen. You can see the mark when the screen is but not when it is on, so it is not that bad.

Would I buy the item again. Yes absolutely.

Tip. Be very careful on looking after the screen. Cover it with a cloth when not in use.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 February 2018
on 25 September 2017
Very pleased with this monitor, I have no complaints with it,
on 20 December 2013
I'd like to thank everyone for their reviews which helped greatly in choosing this monitor.

I was looking for a non-reflective 24" monitor that could tilt and with no consistently reported flaws such as light bleeding or broken pixels. The screen is quite bright initially - needed dimming for my use - and the controls are intuitive enough once you realise how they work - a little hard to see when the screen is on because of the light so close by but not a problem.

There is a screen-off switch on the far right of the touch controls which didn't see at first. I use a switched mains hub to turn it off at night.

It also took a while to find the tilt facility as I was afraid to force it in case there wasn't one! A firm enough stand though and no irritating wobbles.

My preference would be for a height adjustment but that is not going to happen at this price. Good value.

It's worth getting a DVI to HDMI cable if you like more vivid colour than the analogue cable gives but both are ok by me. The Magic Angle option can give a quick setup. The screen is a full 24" diagonal. It also appears to upscale some images seamlessly. I'm well pleased. Now to read the instructions.....
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 February 2017
great, i''ve had this around 4 years now and still love it. nothing's wrong with it. One of the most worthwhile purchases as I use it daily
on 24 April 2014
Having purchased this to replace my ageing dell monitor, I was very impressed by just how good this monitor is, particularly at this price.

Other monitors I've seen at this price point often seem either dull or fuzzy, but the clarity on this, particularly through HDMI is fantastic.

The design is appealing and the body is feather light light, though it suffers a little for not being adjustable on either the X or Y axis, something that has gone some way to accentuating the one single flaw in this product: this monitor uses a TFT screen, whichh means that off-angle viewing suffers from colour washouts and black levels that just swamp everything

Samsung has gone some way to remedying this by having a selection of "magic angle" settings you can choose that affect the light distribution - in general, either group or side view works best for regular tasks, though videos and games generally benefit from the "lean back mode"

in practice, this means that every now and then, you'll be adjusting it slightly, but the menu is easy to use and this option really does go quite a way to addressing that weakness.

all in all, a great value monitor, just maybe have a quick look at the ips displays before committing to this.
on 6 February 2014
I have purchased several 24" & 23.5" monitors from several on line stores and this is, by far the very best, both in terms of efficiency, picture quality, menu use and cost.

I cannot fault it; there is not one single pixel problem with this monitor. My Philips already had 4-5 dead pixels when it arrived but I did not feel it needed to be returned as the bright spots were so far apart they did not and do nit interfere too much. I now wish I had because I have found it is not, as I was led to believe, a common fault with all large widescreen monitors.

Happily, I can find nothing negative to say about this Samsung monitor. There are 6 'Magic Angle' settings so one can never complain about not being able to see what is being displayed; I teach a couple or three youngsters how to design and build websites here in my home, so the 'Group' angle is perfect for that.

I am not a high end user when it comes to games but with the few games I do play, the Magic Angles are very useful for improving visibility in a couple of them.

Connecting the HDMI and power cables is so much easier than can be said for my other 24" monitors.

An excellent buy - worth far more than I paid for it.
on 15 April 2014
I needed a monitor to replace one that was failing. I thought this one was a good buy, it was a warehouse deal supposedly just without the original boxes.

According to the reviews it was supposed to be plug and play. But although the monitor showed now markings etc, when plugged in, the top third of the screen had a pinkish hue, there were green horizontal bands and lots of tiny vertical grey lines (like a grid). Item was returned.

But even without this I don't think I'd have been happy with the monitor. As others have said, it wasn't possible to tilt or change the angle of the screen at all.., and I did try. As can often happen when something isn't working, it makes you explore what the monitor settings can do to help and I found the menu to be very very basic. Some of it only seemed to work if you didn't have it on HDMI, which is more than disappointing. Even if the screen had been working perfectly, I wouldn't have been happy. My old monitor (even though its not HDMI0 does more than this one did.

I know it wasn't an expensive monitor, but even so I would have expected more for my money.