on 1 August 2016
A great story that holds the attention from opening credits to conclusion, I bought this film after coming in for a bit of a hard time from my sons who thought that a man of my age (60) was a bit old to consider buying The Hunger Games which they saw as being a "teen flick"!.
Didn't put me off at all. Yes, they all fancy Jennifer Lawrence. and it must be said she is quite an attractive actress. However, as an action movie I thoroughly enjoyed this. Special effects were very good as well.
I will get the follow up!
2 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2018
Pretty good visualisation of the first HG book ( which I have read ). Jennifer Lawrence is great, as is the rest of the cast and the director has been clever in capturing the claustrophobia of the games whilst only implying some of the more gorier aspects of the book, neccesary I assume so it can acheive its 12A rating. However, my children aged 11 ( very nearly 12 ) and 13 both found the film rather disturbing and we had to stop the film shortly after the games themselves began. I suggest any parents of children aged 12 - 14 watch the movie first before letting their kids see it.
on 14 June 2016
After watching this movies, I couldn't wait but to look forward to watch all the Hunger Games movies. Now, that I have watched them all, this every first one is actually the best of all. (the last couple movies are awful!!!) Very different, even weird, yet exciting and engaging. A lot of contrasting points in the movie that really makes it stands out of the rest of the movies in the market. 5 * for this very first movie. The last 2 movies, forget about it!
One person found this helpful
on 4 March 2015
I just LOVE the Hunger Games, I didn't read the books until after I'd seen the first film, they are brilliant! And what's great is the films follow as closely as possible to the books, not missing much out.

Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson play Katniss and Peeta perfectly! And all of the cast in general are just brilliant! The film is gripping and has all of the elements, love, hate, action, sadness and... well... I guess bittersweet happiness.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 October 2015
I really enjoyed this...and it's not just for teenagers ! It contains everything that we all crave...love, normality, excitement, peace, food and water, hope...life ! PS. I had read the three books already and I'm looking forward to the second film. I love trilogies (films or books) as they give you something to look forward to.
One person found this helpful
on 1 November 2012
This is a good movie, and overall I felt a very accurate representation of the novel.
However, the lead actress was unconvincing physically as Katniss, despite giving a thoroughly enjoyable performance. At 5'9" and "well-built", the image of a small, starvling child was difficult to conjure up - without having read the novel first, I'd have been hard pressed to reconcile the film with it's title. Little "Hunger" in evidence.
I also forsee some difficulties arising in the sequels as this rather tougher character will be difficult to give a convincing breakdown, and while Woody Harleson's character was entertaining, he had none of the edge of a man driven to despair by the loss of family, and of mentoring 25 years of unsuccessful tributes - where was the tragedy of 50 childs lives in his hands? Played too much for laughs for me where a darker tone would have been welcome.
on 8 July 2015
Was a bit sceptical when my niece asked for this dvd thinking it might be a little bit to adult for a 12 year old.
But was surprised its tastefully done.
Jennifer Lawrence starts in this piece set in a dystopian future about survival games taking place with 1 teenager from every district competing to survive and win.

Breathless action ensues and i cannot wait for the sequel
on 17 April 2018
Good film and nice to see the Unseen Edition being made available on Blu-ray, so that it can be seen as originally intended before it was cut down to get the 12A rating for cinemas.
on 3 October 2013
Firstly this is an alright adaptation of the book. I felt that there were a few things left out which would better explain the characters but I suppose those were cut due to timing/pace fo the movie. It think that the actors portray their characters very well an were well chosen. Holding my breath for the the next installment.

From a audio perspective, I thought it was very good... not reference material but good for the movie. Visuals were also very good. A good bluray for HD entertainment.
on 15 April 2013
I did like this but felt that the central character was somewhat underplayed by Jennifer Lawrence. The part required the portrayal of stoicism but with some fire. JL showed plenty of stoicism but little fire. She seemed rather too reflective mentally and too still physically. She did not move like an ahtlete but like a reasonably fit gym bunny and thus she did not give the impression of physical dynamism necessary for this role. Nevertheless I enjoyed this offering with all the usual conlicts of good versus evil in all their various forms.