on 9 February 2013
I've had the original releases for a while, hunted down on the secondary market. I got the pair for less than £25 but they've been offered here for silly money. Great to see the music remastered, and with extra tracks. After the superb job on the DVD this is another gem.

I can understand comments regarding reissues with additional tracks. So many are just 'filler' material - not good enough at the original release date and only of interest to completists. This seems a lot more than that. Three CDs should be about 45 tracks, as opposed to the original 30, and it's not just 'bonus' material or alternate takes. Remastering the lot makes some sense. (Maybe they'll do it to the Series 3 discs, of which there were only two CDs).

I think Series 2 and 5 are my favourites, although it's hard to choose. Series 2 (and 1) had John Martyn though, so that gives it an edge. But then Series 5 had Sam Bush and Bela Fleck! This first volume of the Series 2 reissue is superb and a noticeable improvement in audio quality, although I can't think of a reason not to issue all three at once. (Maybe they'll get the year right on the other two: mine says 'recorded in 1988').

I'm still smiling from the show at the Royal Festival Hall (6 Feb 2013). Now, having the live shows on DVD would be something.

I realise this isn't much of a review of the CD, but I love everything about Transatlantic Sessions so there's little more to say. I'm really looking forward to the next two CDs - and to Series 6 this autumn!
on 21 January 2013
Grabbed this from Coda in Edinburgh on Saturday, I have the original releases - well worn - Vol 1/2 (Iona label) and thought to replace them. This CD is brilliant! Happily surprised to find it's only the first of 3 Volumes to be released this year from Transatlantic Sessions 2. It's really pretty different from original issue with 6 new tracks... worth it for John Martyn and Danny Thompson's superlative 'Solid Air' alone... mesmerising stuff!
The audio here is just excellent - completely re-mastered from the original film recordings - happy days!
Just ordering further copy from Amazon for another Transatlantic Sessions groupie!
Look forward to the release of Vols two and three... more volumes please!!
on 26 February 2013
I wasn't aware these were being re-released. So glad I held back from buying one of the originals for silly money. As another reviewer pointed out, the sound is superb. And it goes without saying, the music is outstanding. Can't wait for the next two to be released.
on 13 February 2013
As a devoted collector of these CD's I'm delighted to see this back on the shelves...it's the one I've most wanted to buy for folk as an introduction to the series, and wasn't able to get it for years. The new tracks made it worth buying the new version, but for me the Cajun stuff just has that something extra..maybe we'll get some more in the next series?
on 21 January 2013
Don't be fooled by this 'New Release'. Transatlantic Sessions 2 was released in two volumes by Iona Records in 1998 and contains the majority of the tracks listed here. Not worth buying the new release for the odd track that the first release is missing. A good buy though if you haven't got the earlier CDs.
on 29 March 2015
Good service and price: excellent series which I'm slowly adding to. Thoroughly recommend.
on 5 October 2014
Clear studio album,as ever despatched and atthefront door almost before I pressed 'enter',
on 16 October 2014