Price:£14.50+ £3.99 shipping

VINE VOICEon 21 August 2014
I am using this DVD writer with Windows 8.1. Its comes with a disc with various software such as Power2Go and trial versions of Nero and various other software including a firmware updater. None of the software is essential and these days WIndows 8.1 has built in capabilities to burn discs so this DVD writer is effectively plugin and play and requires no setup.
Its a SATA DVD Writer so just needs a power cable to be connected from the PSU and a free SATA port and cable. Its comes with a sata cable and a black,silver and white bezel so you can make it match the colour of your base unit.
As far as performance goes it is quieter than the LG DVD writer its replacing and has been reasonably reliable at burning discs at 24 x ( I say reasonable because its has burnt a few "coasters"). I found burning ISO's to disc no problem using this DVD writer.
Its not expensive and so far appears to be good value for money.
on 6 August 2014
I got the drive installed it onto my Dell Precision 2006 desktop PC running Windows 7, which I have been upgrading overtime. Came with all necessary items, sata cable, screws manual and cd. The drive is pretty much a plug and play, install it, turn your computer on and there you have it! The disk that's included can give you some free trials and a version of Nero free edition, you will also get 2 extra bezels but I only needed black since the front of my PC is black. It burns disks very fast without noise, it will come out very good quality with no errors on the disk. I really like it and its a great component to have on my PC as my old CD ROM couldn't burn to disks and it ran on IDE, it was quite old.

So overall it's a very good drive, good price and I recommend it to other if you are looking for a new drive for your computer.
on 11 December 2013
Bought this DVD rewriter/drive for my home build as realised I needed a SATA drive as the old IDE one would not fit my new motherboard. Well I must say Im most impressd with the drive, quiet and works great. Not tried writing to it yet but should be fine. For just over £13 I dont know how they do it at Samsung, with 3 interchangable fronts to suit black, white or silver PC even loading flaps coloured to suit. Also sata cable, screws and disc with drivers included a great bargin, if I could give 10 stars I would.
on 8 May 2014
After putting up with a faulty DVD drive that came in a new PC for 3 years, I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet and splash out on a new one. I was very pleased when i saw this Samsung drive show in the display results for the low price of under £15! Once this drive arrived, I said an emotional goodbye to my old drive (at which point i was surprised to find out it was a Sony), installed this one and fired it up to see how it performed.

It reads, writes and does everything you'd want a DVD drive to do. Best of all, it does everything silently. There's no noise at all on mine and I can't even hear it over the fan of the PC. I keep a couple of "problem" DVD's that are slightly scratched and don't play in all DVD players and they both played fine in this one. I wrote a 7GB DVD+DL in 18 minutes using Windows 7's built in software and it's all going great.

I think this is the best value DVD drive on the market. Yes there are even cheaper ones but they don't come with a SATA cable, screws and an extra silver and ivory bezel as this one does. They're great for if you want to carry around a reminder of what your DVD drive looks like when you're away from home.

If you need a new DVD drive then there are plenty to choose from and no doubt they all do as good a job as this but this was the one i chose and I'm very pleased that i did.
on 28 December 2013
Great vale, easy to install and runs quiet... Would recommend this product to all... I have built a few systems now, always use these and never had any problems
on 25 September 2014
I purchased this DVD writer on the back of Amazon good feedback which stated that it is quiet. So I was a little disappointed when the drive I received turned out to be very noisy when running at speed. I returned for a replacement and I am pleased to say the new one is much quieter and so far is working fine. Thanks Amazon for replacing quickly.
on 20 December 2014
I still cannot believe that you can buy a retail DVD Writer for so little cash! These drives perform so well that I ordered two more... and now they're only £11.88!!....BARGAIN! Yes, I know optical drives are 'old hat' now, but if you need them these are the best value option anywhere. Performance is almost silent & fast. Please remember that for near silent use your media (discs) will need to be perfect & the drive must be fitted in a sturdy case with all cables & other hardware tied or bolted down properly.
on 27 August 2014
This DVD drive is not the first one I have had installed in my tower. My previous drive was the previous version of this model but it had recently become faulty; refusing to play many DVDs, some of which were fresh from the boxes, so I knew it wasn't an issue with the discs themselves.

This replacement arrived today and the installation was easy enough. It comes with a SATA cable to connect to your motherboard in case you don't already own one (for example, if you're building a tower and considering this as your drive), but it doesn't have a power cable. Luckily for me, I simply used my existing cable.

Anyway, installation was simple - my computer automatically found and installed the drivers without having to use the included installation disc, and it immediately played all of the DVDs that my old drive could not. It is also extremely quiet as advertised.

I haven't tried burning anything as of yet and I've only been using this drive for about 10 hours at the time of this review, so if anything should occur to tarnish my opinion of the drive, I'll return and alter this review but for now I am extremely satisfied with the product, and would definitely recommend it.
on 21 August 2016
I needed this drive to copy data over onto USB.

I have also used it to burn a couple of wedding dvd's and it is much much faster than the old drive it replaced.

Fast and Cheap what more can I say.
on 15 February 2016
I've had this for over 6 months. I returned my first as the under run errors meant 90% of the audio CD's I tried to burn weren't readable. The replacement was better, but still pretty poor to be honest. This gives an inconsistent burn. I HAVE to use the program nero burning rom for backing up my audio CD's as this burner produces multiple under-run errors, which Nero has to correct and adapt for. (I keep the originals at home and copies for car and work. Or sometimes I buy an MP3 download and put them on MP3 discs for my car) If you use any of the free or generic programs like MusicBee the errors lead to either an unreadable disc, or one that jumps or sticks after the 4th track. I have been using the same blank CDs for years without any problems burning before this burner. I did however try numerous different makes of Cds, just in case it was them, however 5 different makes without any improvement. The music Cds I burn with this tends to last only a few months usage? I do not understand that and never had this problem before. I have discs I burnt years ago that are listened to a lot and never a problem. The ones I burn with this burner now last about a month or two, then start sticking of last few tracks become unreadable. I have to throw them away and re-do them every few months. I really can not account for this, nor do I understand it. Again multiple types of Cds used. I have never had such a poor CD burner. With audio Cds I get a bad burn about 1 in 15, even using Nero.

MP3 discs seem to be fine however. Those I've burnt (again using nero - and with a few - but rare - under run errors) over 6 months ago still work fine, and no MP3 bad burns.

Data CDs seem fine. No under-run errors, no reliability errors, nothing at all to complain about.

I can not comment on the DVD side, as I don't ever burn those.