on 19 January 2016
It is a good book, lots of practice questions and working answers. Didn't get me through though, must be me! Book is useful for working with kids or as a refresher. Only thing is there are too many of these books around. Looked at loads and this is one of the better ones. Get the lastest version. If you already have one, no need to buy another, as lots of same questions. Can also look on internet for free downloads.
on 13 May 2015
I didn't enjoy using this book; at times I found the explanations difficult to follow and sometimes Patmore took your knowledge for granted. If you are like me and haven't studied maths in while, you may struggle. Otherwise it was very good in terms of the variety of practice questions, and some were harder than what you would expect in the test; that's good practice too I suppose. Good, but there are other books that are much better.
on 27 April 2014
There are many mistakes in this book, and not just grammar, there are incorrect answers too.
There's not enough detail in some of the examples, I still don't know how to read a Box and Whisker Plot, because there are only a handful of sentences on it.

If you were/ are a mathematician then this comes as easy revision, but for many of us who struggle a bit with Maths, this is not the book for you, It expects you to remember too much from GCSE or equivalent.

Do the online tests, don't rely fully on this book!
on 2 April 2016
First off, I passed both my literacy and numeracy tests first time. I didn't prepare for the literacy tests, as I did not need to - but maths was another question altogether. I mainly used the materials provided by the Department of Education, but this book came in handy when I had used up all of the practice tests, or perhaps wanted something I did not understand re-wording and explaining in a different way.

JUST REMEMBER: From my experience, the tests are not as bad as you expect. I am rubbish at mental (on the spot) maths, but I found myself having about 15-20 seconds waiting around for the next question to be read out.
on 28 August 2015
It was helpful to have the different topics arranged in sections and practise up to 25 questions on each topic. This was the main reason I chose this over other books to prepare for the skills test. However, the editing process must have been done in a very sloppy way. There are a number of mistakes and inaccuracies which any good editor should have picked up. I expected correct answers (as in: give the result the question asked for!) and accuracy (both mathematically and linguistically) but was disappointed. In the end, I found other books on the market more helpful and reliable than this one.
on 9 May 2015
This is the most pretentious book I've ever studied from! It gives zero explanation in the answer section, but instead repeats things such as "you should know that blah = blah." No explanation or method what-so-ever. This book expects you to already have a strong knowledge of all the areas. Most of us taking these exams probably don't as we haven't used GCSE Maths for 10+ years. I gained much more studying from the internet where explanations and methods were actually clear. DO NOT buy this book unless you remember all your GCSE knowledge and just want to do some practice questions.
on 7 March 2015
There is no doubt that the 5th edition of this book is very useful for prospective QTS students sitting the Numeracy Skills Tests. However, this 6th edition, although advertised as being 'up-dated throughout' and with 'more practice questions', is essentially the same as the 5th edition. Many of the test questions used in the 3 key areas are identical to the 5th edition and the crucial practice mental arithmetic and on-screen test is word-for-word the same as the 5th edition. Given the fact that there are only three test papers on the Department for Education website, and clearly students will benefit from doing as many of these as they can, this is particularly disappointing. Moreover, the book is advertised as being 112 pages, which suggests that there is considerable new material, when in fact it is only 101 pages. If you've used the 5th edition and were hoping for some new material in preparation for the tests, this is not the book for you.
on 5 April 2016
This book is a bit of a 'hit' and 'miss'.

To simply put it, it does provide you with a nice outline of what will be covered within the test (i.e time within the mental arithmetic section), and it also includes a number of questions you can test yourself upon.

However, and there is a big 'HOWEVER', it expects you to already have an established knowledge within maths (and thus it doesn't go into detail of how you work certain things out, or what approach you should take to work them out, i.e KM into M). Thus, personally I wanted to know what approach I should be taking to answer these questions and this is where 'GA Numerical' (on youtube) was a bit of a life saver.

In addition, and it is quite important to note, that within the test itself I was given a few questions that were not covered by this book? (which did throw me off a bit), particularly a type of lined graph that i had never seen before. Instead the book discusses the box and whisker diagram in great detail (which in the end I didn't even need to know).

All in all, I did pass first time so I guess that does say something, but was that down to this book or GA Numerical's video's it remains to be seen.
on 4 June 2013
I have recently taken my skills test and passed first time thanks to the help and guidance of this book. It gives clear solutions and includes numerous questions to practice. In the front of the book it explains about what to expect which was great as i hadn't a clue what to expect.

This book is a must when preparing for the skills test! I truly couldn't have done it without it.
on 8 August 2015
This REVISED 5th edition supports trainee teachers working towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), who must all pass a computerised numeracy skills test. The book is designed to ensure that you have a sound grasp of numeracy skills such as mental arithmetic and interpreting statistics, and can apply these in practice. It also includes a full practice test. Use this simultaneously with the on-line test and you will pass. Each section is explain well and there are so many questions to practice from. I passed 1st time. Well worth buying this.