Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 May 2015
Good, proggy album. Varied somewhat in style, which is nice. Vocals are solid (sounding very much like Dad in places) and musicianship tight throughout.
Some memorable hooks, but nothing that stayed with me especially after a few plays through.
on 23 September 2013
I was advised to check this album out and I'm glad I did.
These guys certainly know how to fill a CD with good music.
Very easy on the ear and they arn't predictable like other new acts.
I await the next album.
Recommended.
on 22 May 2013
Dimensionaut is the debut album from Sound Of Contact,a refreshing new band that incorporates everything that is good in today's modern prog/rock scene.
The group is the brainchild of Simon Collins,son of one of rocks greatest drummers ,and vocalist to one of the leaders in rock music,namely Phil Collins and Genesis.Boy does it show!
On many of the twelve tunes Simon's vocals are unearingly like his dad that when my daughter came into the room halfway through "Pale Blue Dot" she commented that she'd never heard this Phil Collins song before!I had to explain that it was his son singing.
Their are many wonderful songs to enjoy on this album "Cosmic Distance Ladder","Not Coming Down",19 minute epic"Mobius Slip", and the excellent "Beyond Illumination",where S.C. Jim another strange twist sounds un-cannily like former Genesis vocalist Peter Gabriel.
Obviously with the Genesis connection Sound Of Contact does have more than a passing resemblance to the sound of Genesis (Duke era comes to mind) but other influences are apparent too - Porcupine Tree,Marillion,Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield.
One slight quibble I have with the album is the poor production and that is why I have only given the album four stars,built this is only a minor glitch on what is a truly memorable album by a major new force on the prog/rock scene.Highly Recommend ed.
on 31 July 2013
This album has it all, rich vibrant melodies, superb sympathetic musicianship and excellent production. I really hope Sound of Contact are going to be massive, they deserve it. A very promising first album indeed.
on 25 October 2013
After reading some of the reviews I listened to this with an open mind and I have found it to be a very good album. Fresh songs, classy music and a welcome addition to my collection. Give it a go.
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2013
Can we forget about the past - focus on the moment?

Because the moment is good......very good. The debut album from Sound of Contact

The album was created by Simon Collins with keyboardist and co-producer Dave Kerzner along with Matt Dorsey (bass). It was mixed by Nick Davis.

No mention of Phil yet.

Though there should be less we forget the magic of early Genesis - less we forget how good a drummer/musician he was (I will put was here for a reason)

Albums such as `Dimensionaut' are of course not breaking new musical ground - but along with Lifesigns, Porcupine Tree and the wonderful Steven Wilson, Spocks Beard etc. are producing quality albums that create a link to my past.

And hopefully will open the ears of a new generation to music that one can explore and enjoy time and time again.

This album also made me revisit my early Genesis albums (how good were they between 1969 and '78? How good is `Seconds Out' surely one of the best live albums) - let's hope that SOC will also be given the time to develop and produce the music they want to.

So let's focus on the moment - a press release states "Dimensionaut" is a concept album about a man who has the ability to travel through space, time and alternate realities and yet struggles with his desire to keep a sense of grounded reality on Earth." Heady stuff but doesn't really excite me - though I do like the concept images.

What I do like is the music, the performance, the sound - agree with Ianham who says reservations about the production are wrong, for what it's worth it sounds grand to me as I have old ears too.

It is simply an excellent rock album.

So don't forget the past - but enjoy the moment - enjoy the Sound of Contact
on 30 June 2013
Simon Collins is the son of Phil Collins and has clearly inherited some of his father's talent. This is his first album as part of a band and it's a cracker. Mixing layered instrumentals with catchy vocal lines and some very strong hooks this is an album that please at first listen but gains depth with each play. I'd say Mr Collins junior has found his niche and I for one hope he explores it for some time to come. This is quality stuff.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2016
I was astonished when I heard this. Recommended it to fellow Proggers and know of 3 others who have since bought it.
Simply the best album I've heard in recent years.
on 8 April 2014
Enjoying this greatly, all off the back of the track heard on Planet Rock. Influences appear to be from all over, and not just the obvious. A gem of a find.
on 28 July 2013
Really interesting album. I think every prog rock lover will like it. great music and more than an hour long!!