Customer reviews

Hearts And Knives
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 December 2013
Well, if you loved the eighties electropop, then this is for you.
Steve Strange just picked it up where he left it all so many years ago.
Just as vibrant and exciting as before.

A must for all the eighties buffs
on 11 June 2013
Have been waiting for this album since 1983 .They say its hard to better your first album but the anvil was very close to that ,then the pleasure boys and love glove singles gave us hope for a great third and then .....oh well.But now after all this time here is the third album that should have been .This took me two listens and it grew on me big time, there are even tracks that still have the ultravox background.I can highly recommend it to all us 45 year olds who just want it to be 1981/82 again.
on 18 September 2013
Really Good album Instantly reconisable as being Visage!! Steve Strange still sounds great no duff tracks and at least 4 diamond tracks!! Glad I bought it and well worth a listen!!!
on 27 May 2013
I have the first three Visage albums (all on vinyl) and this fourth album not only links to these retro albums but enhances anything that I have come to expect from Visage. My music taste is firmly in the late 70's to early 80's but this new album has completely returned me to an era that is simply better than anything today! Steve Strange and crew, thank you for so much more than words can convey.
on 23 May 2013
Thanks to the previous 7 reviewers for your honest reviews. Been waiting for my Visage CD & it arrived today.
Cranked up the volume nice & loud & even my Mrs liked it! She's as hard to please as someone who's very hard to please!
If you like the original Visage album from all those years back then buy Hearts & knives - trust me, you'll enjoy it. :-)
Well done Visage & please tour!!
on 18 September 2013
This is the Visage music we used to listen to 30 year ago ! Nice restart for Steve Strange and co. I hope the album will do great in the charts !
on 19 December 2014
i cant stop playing this album...an amazing sound considering it was so long since last album... I hope he writes another one again soon...
on 12 September 2013
I was always a SS fan and always thought that Visage had a fantastic sound. This was enjoyable all the way around after so many years.
on 8 October 2014
Great new material
on 23 May 2013
When you hear an 80's act is reforming, even with just 1 or 2 original members, there's always a mix of excitement and trepidation around any new material. The extended mix of Shameless Fashion on the single that precedes this album is excellent, giving the track more space and adding all the right elements for a true 12" version - so boded well. Beat Boy was their last proper album, with most tracks being over-produced (I guess for the US market) and over-long, neither of which applies to the tracks here. In fact the production is a little too demo-like in places, so the various overlaid elements can become a bit scrambled - but putting that aside this is a much better album overall.

It has definite nods to the first two albums, and also a couple of nods to Strange Cruise type material (remember that album?) which is why I have gone for 4 stars instead of 5.

Some lovely analogue synth sounds, great Bass from Steve Barnacle, stirling Guitar work from Robin and interesting vocal accompaniments from Lauren, plus throughful artwork and liner notes, all help to make this a worthy comeback release. Steve was never the greatest vocalist, but that only becomes apparent on one track here, and the lyrics are very interesting/telling at times!

Faves: Never Enough, Shameless Fashion, On We Go (really great slow track, nice and dramatic), I Am Watching (classic Anvil era) and Diaries Of A Madman (inc D Formula on writing credits, manic).
Least Faves: Hidden Sign and Dreamer I Know (both sound bit too Strange Cruise and MOR for my tastes, not quite edgy enough), and Breathe Life (couple of dodgey notes in this closing ballad).
The rest are all pretty good, although I wish they'd got a bit of assistance with the final mix (without spoiling the elements of their trademark sound).

This could have so easily been a disaster, but thankfully the strength of many of the songs, and the plethora of old-style analogue sounds mixed with live drums/guitars, make it a success.

Footnote: also later decided to buy this on White Vinyl (Pylon Records pressing). Surprisingly there was a brown area on side A which had some rather loud pops/crackles, from the end of Hidden Sign until first minute or so of On We Go (which is a real shame). It isn't dirt as item was sealed, but poor pressing. Thought as 180gm and 2013 technology this would not have been a problem, so wanted to add to my review of the actual product bought.

Musically sounds really good on vinyl though, and She's Electric sounds slightly different, as the guitar motiff just before the song starts is not audiblly repeated just after the line "...she's Electric", just the percussive effects. It is quiet on the CD, but definitely there, so I'm not sure if this is a slightly earlier mix? Everything else sounds the same to my ears, and the 12" picture insert includes the Steve centre-spread and all lyrics/instruments/credits (in a more readable format than the CD booklet). It looks great, and as long as you get a pure white pressing it sounds just like vinyl should!