on 28 August 2013
Having waited eagerly for the next instalment of the Inspector Gamache series I downloaded this to my Kindle yesterday and have just finished it. The suspense is kept up throughout and finally there is a resolution of many of the storylines which have run through the last few novels. A very good read and shortly I will go back and read it again to appreciate all the nuances which I missed in reading very fast to get to the finale. I do think readers new to Inspector Gamache will need to go back a few books to appreciate this one fully. Louise Penny is a great mystery writer, literary and erudite as well as witty.
17 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 December 2014
I have read the other reviews and whilst I agree that the series is quite compulsive I really don't think this is one of the best. Chief Gamache is still fighting his enemies in the department and at the same time is asked by Myrna to look in to the disappearance of Constance Pineault who didn't arrive in Three Pines as expected. I enjoy the Three Pines characters and their humour but I found the investigation into Constance's murder lacklustre and the enemies' plan fantastical. I know it is fiction and that anything goes but I just couldn't swallow it - clever yes, remotely possible no. It will not, however, stop me reading the next in the series.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 August 2017
After the previous book, which although still good was in my opinion the weakest of this excellent series, How The Light Gets In is a return to top form for Louise Penny.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - just the right amount of mystery, tension and intrigue, which this author does so well.

We also have more on the building relationship between Beauvoir and Annie, and the continuing tensions and in-house battles at the Surete. Both these aspects come to what I consider to be very satisfactory conclusions in How The Lught Gets In.

I and am now eagerly looking forward to book 10, which is next on my to-read list.
on 7 January 2014
I ordered this from my bookseller to get my hands on it as soon as it was published here in the UK. He lost it. Disaster, so I bought the Kindle version from Amazon and had the delight of being able to start reading it within seconds. I came across Louise Penny in my library and read all the Gamache novels but out of order. While I know that you can read them as stand alone novels, the linking themes makes it more and more compelling to know how good and evil are resolved. I have reread the Kindle version but now, months later, finally have my hard back edition and reading it will be my new year treat. I think that Louise Penny scores highly in every aspect of thriller writing. Her characterisation is complex and consistently credible. Her plots are interesting and properly resolved and the human drive that creates each dilemma is thoughtful and truthful. I found How the Light gets In hugely satisfying. Two thoughts, I am delighted with her success in Canada and the US but I do not understand her low profile in review terms here in the UK. Second, reading her blog I see she has finished the first draft of her next novel and I have no idea what it is about and whether it is a new start or links in any way to the Gamache series. Thank goodness for her website! If you are wondering whether to order her books, I'd say do and I hope you thoroughly enjoy them.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2014
Wow, what a remarkable piece of writing this is. If you have read the series from the begining you will know of the struggles Gamashe has faced trying to save his team and his Surette department. This story tells of his last battle if you like, his last stand to save all he holds dear. I can't say too much as to spoil this would be a crime in itself but please take time to read all of this series to date, it's an extraordiary one. The writing is beautiful as is the poetry and snatches of music lyrics; L. Cohen's "Ring the bells" is an inspiration. Gamashe fights to the bitter end for his team and it's not until you reach the very last pages, you get to discover who survives and who doesn't. My heart was racing full pelt all the way through and at the conclusion I quite literally broke down in tears. oh my what a series this is and I am so relieved to say it continues on in book 10 out this August. Highly recommended.
on 11 April 2015
I hate to think what will happen when Louise Penny stops writing about Inspector Gamache, he is a terrific character, and so are the people around him, who reappear in each book...I have now found a copy of each of her 10 books, and they are really superb. Readng them from the beginning is also interesting, as she develops in style and confidence; the characters appear in further books, ready to draw us into the story - and that is one of her secrets, that we are halfway into the book from the first page.
on 30 August 2013
I was eagerly awaiting this new book and wasn't disappointed. The suspense is terrific and the plot twists and turns are ingenious. Louise Penny draws her characters so well they jump off the page at you. I want to visit Three Pines and would even relish being sworn at by Ruth. The atmosphere is brilliantly conveyed, whether it's the cosiness of the homes, the bistro, the B&B, or the cold loneliness of the forest. There is a wonderful sense of the cohesive group working and living together, while at the same time we see the 'apartness' that so many people feel, even while living in a community. I would like to see just a little less of the Christ-like personification of Insp. Gamache but that is a really tiny quibble. Now I find myself waiting again and hungry for the next one. I do hope there will be a next one!
on 17 September 2013
I thought this was one of her best but wondered if it was also the last as it would seem to have rounded off the series rather nicely. It was full of suspense and also you felt for the protagonists. I would recommend the reader to start on the early books first to get to know the characters as the nooks build up on each other.
8 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2013
I am so very glad I discovered this series - having read them all in order (essential!)I have thoroughly enjoyed every one. Before reading them I knew very little about Quebec and its surroundings, but I now feel as if I know everyone in the tiny village of Three Pines, as well as Chief Inspector Gamache and his family, and I don't want to lose them. This last book in the series so far was exceptionally brilliant, and tied up all the loose ends left from the other books. Please don't let it be the last we hear of Chief Inspector Gamache!
One person found this helpful
on 19 August 2014
I have read and enjoyed almost all of Louise Penny's books and have rated them 4to 5 stars.
After the Beautiful Mystery which I found to be repetitive and boring,I thought that was it, I didn't want to read any more of the same, but this book is right back to standard.
A very surprising plot and the comfort of Three Pines, the Bistro and the B&B is all there.
I must stress that a new reader needs to start at the beginning to " get " these books, but unless you need something to send you to sleep , I would avoid the Beautiful Mystery.